CSMC to discontinue Labor and Delivery

3,644 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TXCityGirl
phatpat21
How long do you want to ignore this user?
carpe vinum
AG
Wow.
They had a great reputation just a few years ago.
Scott & White must be killing them.
phatpat21
Yeah, we've had our 2 boys there just within the past 3 years and had good experiences both times. Crazy
Stupe
S
They even had a NICU.

St. Joseph should buy that building in order to have a full ER with a direct admitting facility in that part of B/CS.
TAMU1990
AG
I had to go to S&W ER - I wasn't impressed because I caught a shift change and luckily the new doctor diagnosed something different than the one trying to get to the door.
CS78
Glad we made it through in time. 3 kids in 4 years and thought everything was great. Wonder if the affiliates for womens health doctors will keep their offices there.
CCMD
AG
It's going to be very interesting to see what happens to CSMC going forward. I believe it has been secretly for sale for quite some time, but today they finally decided to put the "for sale" sign up in their yard.

Stupe, it would seem logical that CHI St. Joseph would have interest. However, the "CHI" part of that is headquartered in Denver, and I don't think they have a clue how to go forward in this market.
Jinx
Also had good experiences there with both of ours in the last few years. The facility was not sparkling shiny new, but the care was top notch.
phatpat21
A level 3 NICU
A lot of people are going to lose jobs on that 3rd floor wing and that sucks
Stupe
S
The put a facility at Fitch and 6. I think that the only reason they haven't built a tower in the south in of town is because they knew one would be coming available.
CCMD
AG
Don't be surprised to see Memorial Hermann make a play for this market
GoneGirl
AG
Great experience with them and my ObGyn having both kids.

Miserable experience when they tried to bill us for the out of network NICU doc doing the checkup on our baby "as a courtesy" to our pediatricians office - without our consent and at NICU rates for an almost 9 lb baby.
"If you're in the midst of a midlife crisis, you could buy a convertible, have an affair, or upgrade your cup size. But you'll probably be happiest if you save a dog's life." - Jen Lancaster
gettingitdone
Scott and White is NOT killing them. They are discontinuing one program in the entire hospital. They also are NOT secretly for sale. Employees in that area will have the opportunity to move to other areas of the hospital or maybe look else where. Either way, this isn't happening until mid July so there is plenty of time for the employees to make arrangements.
carpe vinum
AG
So, they just decide to randomly cease one of their most well known specialties...
It's a bold business model.
ro828
Some years ago they shut down their Rehab facility.

About fifteen years ago I worked there on and off through a temp agency. The hospital seemed to be very well run, and the people there were really nice. But rumors were constantly flying "backstage" that the place was about to shut down. The number of hours for the department I worked for got cut sharply due to a low patient census....which I would have understood better if their primary response to having too many empty beds was something other than to build more rooms.
TaterTot_09
This makes me sad! It also surprises me since labor and delivery is a big money maker, plus the nicu. All of those poor ob/Gynos have built their business around being based in that hospital.
PS3D
gettingitdone said:

Scott and White is NOT killing them. They are discontinuing one program in the entire hospital. They also are NOT secretly for sale. Employees in that area will have the opportunity to move to other areas of the hospital or maybe look else where. Either way, this isn't happening until mid July so there is plenty of time for the employees to make arrangements.
What kind of hospital shuts down a major service without replacement? It's not like they're transitioning to a specialty hospital, and rumors of CSMC selling out or possibly closing have been circulating for years.
Goose83
AG
Wondering if it might have something to do with this:

http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/family-college-station-medical-center-reach-settlement/article_146b58a7-433f-5cc6-b2b2-fbc57e862671.html
Stupe
S
The ER census is also down.

We took our son their last fall and they only had one doctor, a PA, and a couple of nurses at 10:30 p.m.
CCMD
AG
Doubt it. Hospitals are insured for settlements like that.
The Anchor
AG
Goose61 said:

Wondering if it might have something to do with this:

http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/family-college-station-medical-center-reach-settlement/article_146b58a7-433f-5cc6-b2b2-fbc57e862671.html

I doubt it since that news article is over a year old and the event happened in 2012.
MarineBQ04
AG
Not surprised they are closing. Had good experiences in L&D. But the NICU was less than stellar.

We had babies in the NICU there last fall. There were never more than 3 or 4 people working. Would not say that

"a lot" of people are losing jobs.
MarineBQ04
AG
techno-ag
AG
The market is getting tight in this town. No surprise. Moms want to deliver in the newest & best facilities & that takes a lot of money to keep up.
EBrazosAg
AG
PS3D said:

gettingitdone said:

What kind of hospital shuts down a major service without replacement? It's not like they're transitioning to a specialty hospital, and rumors of CSMC selling out or possibly closing have been circulating for years.
How do you know this isn't part of a planned shift to speciality hospital? Or that a potential buyer has a few things they want cleaned up on the books before buying it.......and making sure they - the new owner - dont look like the bad guy.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
GoneGirl
AG
PS3D said:

gettingitdone said:

Kind of like the Disney is buying the Renaissance Festival/land on Hwy 6 south of CS?
"If you're in the midst of a midlife crisis, you could buy a convertible, have an affair, or upgrade your cup size. But you'll probably be happiest if you save a dog's life." - Jen Lancaster
justalocal
MarineBQ04 said:

Not surprised they are closing. Had good experiences in L&D. But the NICU was less than stellar.

We had babies in the NICU there last fall. There were never more than 3 or 4 people working. Would not say that

"a lot" of people are losing jobs.
I work in a local hospital, was told that roughly 70 people are in those services. I'd say that's a good number of people although I don't know the ratio of FT, PT, and PRN.

I had twins there years ago, overall, good experience but the best was the NICU.
Dr. Teeth
AG
gettingitdone said:

The "one program" they are shutting down is a pretty crucial one to the bottom line of a hospital.

If CSMS is shutting down L&D, things are pretty dire.
EBrazosAg
AG
Dr. Teeth said:

gettingitdone said:

The "one program" they are shutting down is a pretty crucial one to the bottom line of a hospital.

If CSMS is shutting down L&D, things are pretty dire.
There is a sale strategy in all of this. Getting out of some bad contracts for services, a sale, and a re-opening with a different strategy for physician and patient mix......
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TXCityGirl
Their ER staff was outsourced and sold to a different company a year or so ago. They might be going that direction for labor, selling that unit to a vendor.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.