Property tax question

1,394 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MisterShipWreck
MisterShipWreck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I own a condo, and I got the new property tax bill today.

The value of the structure value went went up from $65,860 to $83,240. The total value with the land (rated at $20k - that remained the same) went from $85,860 to $103,240.

That's like a 26% increase.

Isn't there a limit that your value can go up in 1 year? I thought I remembered reading that on a previous thread here on the forum
TellMeMore
Anything else nearby sell? That can make a difference
MisterShipWreck
Yes, other units in the complex have sold recently.

But for them to raise me 26% in 1 year? Wow!
TellMeMore
Protest. Go on record. And you can protest forever, IF you do it the first year it happens
MisterShipWreck
Yes, but I did that protest before, years ago. And had no luck. They probably raised each and every unit the same amount.

I may protest - I was just wondering if there was a limit on the increase. That was gonna be 1 of my reasons to protest.
Tailgate88
AG
It's not just you.

https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/2945377
MisterShipWreck
Ok, thanks. They hit every unit in the complex for the same amount. I guess I don't have a prayer
deh40
AG
MisterShipWreck said:

I own a condo, and I got the new property tax bill today.

The value of the structure value went went up from $65,860 to $83,240. The total value with the land (rated at $20k - that remained the same) went from $85,860 to $103,240.

That's like a 26% increase.

Isn't there a limit that your value can go up in 1 year? I thought I remembered reading that on a previous thread here on the forum
If it has a homestead exemption it is supposed to be capped at 10% increase.
MisterShipWreck
I did not live there as of Jan 1, 2017 (it was a few weeks later). I checked, and I cannot claim the exemption until this year. So, I am stuck, apparently
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.