Aggieland
Sponsored By

University Dr Lane Closure

lastrebel2000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
P
Whose grand idea was it to do this on the busiest street in the middle of the semester? Is doing a median so critical that it couldn't wait until the summer? This traffic makes commuting to work ridiculous.
RPM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
lastrebel2000 said:

Who's grand idea was it to do this on the busiest street in the middle of the semester? Is doing a median so critical that it couldn't wait until the summer? This traffic makes commuting to work ridiculous.
not sure if this post was made in 1998, 2008 or 2018. Could be applicable to any period in the last 20 years.
Fonzie Scheme
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
Since University's official name is FM 60, this is a TxDOT project. When has a TxDOT project not interfered?
AggieBarstool
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
Leave earlier. (Non-) problem solved.
CS78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
H
Is it just me or does it look like they are permanently necking down from three lanes to two eastbound Univ, just east of Bizzell? Sounds crazy but I don't see how they're going to fit three lanes back in to that space.

To the leave earlier comment, some of us actually have schedules we have to follow, drop kids off at X time, then to work at Y, 30 minute lunch at Z, leave work at, etc, etc. Suppose you think all of the 5:00 traffic across this country should just "leave earlier"?
redd38
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
CS78 said:

Is it just me or does it look like they are permanently necking down from three lanes to two eastbound Univ, just east of Bizzell? Sounds crazy but I don't see how they're going to fit three lanes back in to that space.


I thought that too at first, but it looks like the new curb is close to even with the curb further up the road, so I think they'll be able to narrow the lanes and keep all 3.
doubledog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
Not to defend TxDOT, I may be wrong but I think, TxDOT works on the government principle, "spend it or loose it". When the money is allocated, it needs to be spent. Damn the inconvenience, full speed ahead.
75AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
I've never known TXDoT to loose anything. Tighten, maybe.
Oogway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
H
I don't know if TXDOT is the lead agency in all these projects, but they are winning the game of 'let's see what % of the Bryan District we can have torn up and covered with cones.'

FM 60 and FM 2154
FM 60 (see above)
various Highway 6 ramps
the soon to commence (maybe?) George Bush and FM 2154 intersection

Did I forget any?
AgFan1999
How long do you want to ignore this user?
H
AG
that 60/2154 intersection is even worse now. we still have 12 more months of that.
OnlyANobody
How long do you want to ignore this user?
H
Oogway said:

I don't know if TXDOT is the lead agency in all these projects, but they are winning the game of 'let's see what % of the Bryan District we can have torn up and covered with cones.'

FM 60 and FM 2154
FM 60 (see above)
various Highway 6 ramps
the soon to commence (maybe?) George Bush and FM 2154 intersection

Did I forget any?

At least it's only for one night, but just got this in an email from COCS:
"The Southwest Parkway exit ramp on northbound State Highway 6 will be closed tonight from 9 p.m.-1 a.m. for pavement repairs. Motorists are advised to seek alternate routes."
Oogway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
H
I am guessing that two weeks before the commencement of fall football season, the GB/2154 intersection reconstruction will begin and there will be so many barricades and cones in addition to the ones placed around campus for game days that people coming from the south will just start walking a couple of days in advance and people driving from Houston will do likewise, after stopping to park and tailgate on the part of highway 6 (north of 290) that is usually bumper to bumper.
aggietoolman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
H
AG
I don't think that this University change will work out the way they hope it does.


Removal of Traffic Signal and Median Cut-through University Dr. at N. Spence/New Traffic Signal and Pedestrian Crossing on University Dr. at Church St: April 27 Traffic Signal Changes and Median Construction On April 27, the traffic signal on University Dr. at N. Spence is scheduled to be eliminated. A median will be constructed at this location to better separate opposing traffic, to eliminate left turns and to prevent pedestrian crossing. A new traffic signal and pedestrian crossing will be installed on University Dr. at Church St.

The intersection that they are closing is the one between McD and Taco Bell. That is a very high pedestrian corridor, and will be more so once Zachary comes online. They are asking pedestrians to go out of their way to cross University and then come back for all of the fast food places. I expect that several people will continue to cross at this intersection any way.
Average Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
H
AG
College Station loves their medians.
Builder93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
AG
Some people will complain about anything.

If they didn't fix the congestion, you'd be up in arms about it later anyway. "Why don't they fix this mess? They should have done something about it years ago!"

But I have a schedule! So does the construction company. Everyone has a schedule and there is more than one road. What makes you special?
AGnCS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
That intersection is a mess. If the folks from the ENGR Quad would pick one crosswalk to use instead of using the one in from of McD and the one in front of TB it would be easier for traffic to navigate.
Oogway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
H
Builder93 said:

Some people will complain about anything.



Yes we will, and you are spoiling the fun! So your common sense is just superfluous....
AggieBarstool
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
Quote:

Removal of Traffic Signal and Median Cut-through University Dr. at N. Spence/New Traffic Signal and Pedestrian Crossing on University Dr. at Church St: April 27 Traffic Signal Changes and Median Construction On April 27, the traffic signal on University Dr. at N. Spence is scheduled to be eliminated. A median will be constructed at this location to better separate opposing traffic, to eliminate left turns and to prevent pedestrian crossing. A new traffic signal and pedestrian crossing will be installed on University Dr. at Church St.
Praise the lord!
lost my dog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A
I predict massive jaywalking in the fall, and cops handing out lots of tickets at the new median at Spence, since students just want the fastest route to their tacos/burgers/burritos
RGRAg1/75
How long do you want to ignore this user?
H
AG
Average Joe said:

College Station loves their medians.

What. In. The. Actual. ****. Is the deal with this?
HtownAg19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
V
AG
Average Joe said:

College Station loves their medians.


Gotta have somewhere for the motorcycle cops to sit and clock speeds
CS78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
H
RGRAg1/75 said:

Average Joe said:

College Station loves their medians.

What. In. The. Actual. ****. Is the deal with this?
Getting rid of unprotected left turns. It is safer but it goes hand in hand with their one more red light strategy and increased frustration about not being able to get anywhere.

Funny thing is, the one place in town they didn't block the left turn or install a red light is W King Cole Dr by the police station. Huge lawsuit waiting to happen there if an officer pulls out and injurs someone. https://goo.gl/maps/scrusgRE7VJ2
Oogway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
H
I like the drivers that use the protected right of way median cut outs on Wellborn to turn left and head south. That was quite the experience to get ready to make a left turn and have a car pull across the north bound traffic and into the turn lane heading the wrong way. Above the law? Heck, I'm not sure people even know there are laws anymore.
RGRAg1/75
How long do you want to ignore this user?
H
AG
CS78 said:

RGRAg1/75 said:

Average Joe said:

College Station loves their medians.

What. In. The. Actual. ****. Is the deal with this?
Getting rid of unprotected left turns. It is safer but it goes hand in hand with their one more red light strategy and increased frustration about not being able to get anywhere.

Funny thing is, the one place in town they didn't block the left turn or install a red light is W King Cole Dr by the police station. Huge lawsuit waiting to happen there if an officer pulls out and injurs someone. https://goo.gl/maps/scrusgRE7VJ2
IMO it's a detriment to small businesses as well. Having to go down and sit at the light at University and Texas so you can loop around and access a storefront on the other side of the road.....no thanks. I will just pick a more convenient location [not me necessarily - just a prevailing attitude].
taxpreparer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
H
AG
RGRAg1/75 said:

CS78 said:

RGRAg1/75 said:

Average Joe said:

College Station loves their medians.

What. In. The. Actual. ****. Is the deal with this?
Getting rid of unprotected left turns. It is safer but it goes hand in hand with their one more red light strategy and increased frustration about not being able to get anywhere.

Funny thing is, the one place in town they didn't block the left turn or install a red light is W King Cole Dr by the police station. Huge lawsuit waiting to happen there if an officer pulls out and injurs someone. https://goo.gl/maps/scrusgRE7VJ2
IMO it's a detriment to small businesses as well. Having to go down and sit at the light at University and Texas so you can loop around and access a storefront on the other side of the road.....no thanks. I will just pick a more convenient location [not me necessarily - just a prevailing attitude].
Not to mention that it increases the number of U-turns. I find it exciting watching the interaction between u-turners and right turn on red; especially since so few of those actually stop before turning. Fe drivers even consider there may n=be traffic coming from somewhere other than their left, or left-turner crossing the intersection.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
AgFan131
How long do you want to ignore this user?
V
Add to this the issue of those who block side traffic by entering the intersection when the light is green, when traffic isnt flowing.
jblaschke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
L
AG
AggieBarstool said:

Leave earlier. Hire competent people. (Non-) problem solved.
FIFY
Page 1 of 1
 
×
Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.