I think 2018 BCAD values are in

16,381 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Law361
Nutmegger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No, I just happened to notice it when searching the neighborhood that we are buying in, which still has phases under construction.

If our closing date is after the deadline to appeal, are we basically just screwed out of any appeal for 2018? We have a June closing date, and should end up paying a sales price that is actually lower than the new CAD value.
Law361
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just went in today and talked to an appraiser. Overall, it was a very pleasant experience. Reading the descriptions on here was certainly helpful and allowed me to be prepared. Walked in, requested to talk to an appraiser, and only had to wait about 7 minutes. Lowered my appraised value from $216,000 to $185,000 (still too high, but more manageable).

My recommendations:
  • Bring comps from your neighborhood; my appraiser was actually very grateful that I brought some in since they oftentimes do not have that data and only get it from people like me. I had pictures from my property ready, but they were only interested in the comps.
  • The appraisers will tell you that there is only so much that they can do, but they do have some wiggle room. Initially, the guy told me he could only lower the value to $204,000. After he put in my comps, he dropped to $190,000. When I started asking more questions about formally protesting and going before the board, he said he could stretch it to $185,000.
  • Even if you bring in comps that are less than what your house is valued at, be prepared for them to counter with the following: age of your home, type of construction, and square footage all play a major factor. My house happens to be about 200-300 sq/ft bigger than most of the other houses in my neighborhood which is what they pointed to for my high appraisal.
  • As people have mentioned, be polite and courteous to your appraiser. They have rules they need to follow as well. Be patient, and be appreciative of their time. It will help in the end if they make you an offer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.