I think 2018 BCAD values are in

16,418 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Law361
nought
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Up almost 10% in CG. :-(
Stucco
Property values in BCS have gone up. Not just the BCAD versions, the actual market value. It is a desirable place to live.

BCAD sends a letter to everyone that bought or sold a house, asking what was paid. Every response gives them data to calculate the current valuations.

I am of the opinion that property taxes are the worst taxation system in our country. But, at the end of the day the money would be gathered from income, sales, or some other tax. So when it comes to the property appreciation, in most cases it is the system doing its job. As messed up as the system is.

Don't get me wrong. I still protest every year.

What I don't understand is why we don't have a surplus. When valuations go up so significantly it should immediately (and automatically) trigger a reduced tax rate. Yet there was a tax rate increase. And we still have the hidden utility tax. And we still don't have a surplus, and further, everything I hear says we actually need to increase revenue even more to avoid shortfalls.
oldag00
AG
Stucco said:

What I don't understand is why we don't have a surplus.
People like spending other people's money...
MeKnowNot
I sure wonder what magic computer program they use to determine appraised value!

RGRAg1/75
AG
Stucco said:

What I don't understand is why we don't have a surplus. When valuations go up so significantly it should immediately (and automatically) trigger a reduced tax rate. Yet there was a tax rate increase. And we still have the hidden utility tax. And we still don't have a surplus, and further, everything I hear says we actually need to increase revenue even more to avoid shortfalls.
All additional revenue and the infrastructure continues to lag way behind....
RGRAg1/75
AG
MeKnowNot said:

I sure wonder what magic computer program they use to determine appraised value!

This. My structure value actually went down 1.8%, but my land value increased by 44% this year. The land has been steadily increasing while the structure was making astronomical leaps in previous years. I guess when they figure out they can't keep making huge leaps on one they just switch to the other. Great algorithm...
Creekisrising
Almost feel like I should be insulted.
Went down 1% in CG.
MiMi
S
My house in Castlegate is down 1%, as are most on my street. However, a couple of houses are up 10%, including the house next door to mine. They must just throw darts at a map when deciding appraisal values.
MeKnowNot
Looks like several areas in Pebble Creek are down 3%, but a few pockets in Pebble Creek are up 2-10%. Seems very random.
MisterShipWreck
I got jacked 26%!!!
aggiemom89
I sure would like to protest, but their online protest system has been down since yesterday. I have called twice and all they say is that they are working on it.
JP76
RGRAg1/75 said:

MeKnowNot said:

This. My structure value actually went down 1.8%, but my land value increased by 44% this year. The land has been steadily increasing while the structure was making astronomical leaps in previous years. I guess when they figure out they can't keep making huge leaps on one they just switch to the other. Great algorithm...

The reasoning is on structure you can protest based on condition or structural issues but on land it is much harder to protest and to find comparables that will support a lower valuation.
rcannaday
AG
Just a reminder there is now a cap on state a local taxes you can pay is $10k (SALT limits). Note this is also not indexed for inflation. So you not arguing your tax appraisal will only be more painful later in life. Also, just a reminder in case you were not already heated, the local utility is also taxing you (higher prices than the market price), you just don't get the benefit of claiming it on your federal tax deductions.
KidDoc
AG
rcannaday said:

Just a reminder there is now a cap on state a local taxes you can pay is $10k (SALT limits). Note this is also not indexed for inflation. So you not arguing your tax appraisal will only be more painful later in life. Also, just a reminder in case you were not already heated, the local utility is also taxing you (higher prices than the market price), you just don't get the benefit of claiming it on your federal tax deductions.
Thanks for that tip!

Also the whole hidden taxation on electricity in College Station is one of the main reasons I put in solar panels this year. Stickin it to the man!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
WheelinAg
AG
Did anyone's value change on BCAD? One of our rent houses was at 225 when this post came out and now it's at 180.5.
saturn135
Indian Lakes appraisals went down.
skeetboy3
AG
KidDoc said:

Yup last name search worked thanks!

Mine went up about 4%, not too bad I guess.

Anyone have experience with solar panels as an improvement? I had mine installed 2/2018 and didn't even think about it effecting my taxes.

Under state law they are not taxed.
BCSMom
Total appraisal went up $40k+. The land stayed the same just the structure itself went up. Total market value is $189,880 for about 1600 as feet. Houses with similar square footage are selling for $210k+.

So how does one protest when all the similar houses with around the same square foot are the same? Is there really a leg to stand on? I live in an older established neighborhood but haven't done $40k+ of improvements.

ETA: Went in a few years ago and was told I could only look at the same houses that were built in my same phase. Can I take the sq. Feet and home value and divide that to get the price per square feet and argue that? A house that is 200 as feet less than mine is coming out $10 cheaper per square foot than me.
dubi
AG
Quote:

Can I take the sq. Feet and home value and divide that to get the price per square feet and argue that?
Yes.
Stucco
JP76 said:

RGRAg1/75 said:

MeKnowNot said:

The reasoning is on structure you can protest based on condition or structural issues but on land it is much harder to protest and to find comparables that will support a lower valuation.
You are not allowed to protest one or the other individually, just the combined value.
jd1990
Rental property in College Hills. It is brutal. 53% increase in past 4 years. I can't keep up with rent increase so probably going to cash in and sell. It will be interesting if I can sell for what they have appraised.
kyledr04
AG
They may need to re-evaluate after the school board shenanigans. I guarantee every neighborhood zoned for consol just lost value and the others went up. I want my discount.
aggiepaintrain
AG
I guarantee you're wrong.

Explain again what's wrong with Consol?
FJB
kyledr04
AG
Nothing except people think there's something wrong with it. And, it's dumb to zone the farthest neighborhoods to it.
threecatcorner
It's also completely stupid to take the neighborhoods that are right by Consol and zone those kids to CSHS. Both schools are fine, but if you live right by one, you should not be zoned for the other one.

I think one of the main problems is how much they keep rezoning. Realtors can't accurately tell someone what schools a house will be zoned for if it's going to change every year.

When I was growing up, none of my schools was ever rezoned. The only time there was a potential change was when we moved to a slightly different neighborhood, it was in the zone of a different elementary, but my sister was going to be starting her last year at elementary (and I was in junior high by our old elementary), so they let her finish elementary at the same school.
threecatcorner
That is insane. They really need to either cap the appraisal values or reduce property tax rates.
Nutmegger
AG
Is there a special tax assessment break that builders get? And I am not referring to homes that aren't finished, rather these are move-in ready inventory homes for sale. Why is it that homes which were completed in 2017 that are still owned by the builder, are CAD assessed $30-40k (about 15%) less than the same floorplan down the street, also completed in 2017, but was purchased from the builder in January 2018?
Oogway
When we moved here, we used a buyer's agent. Even so, we never assumed that school attendance zones were part of their purview. But, we came from a different experience than yours so perhaps that drove our research.

That was part of the whole rezoning- - if they fill up the undercapacity school, they can delay bonding (which can raise your tax rate.) School Districts make up a large share of your property tax.

Our house is assessed just shy of double from its value when we moved here. Can't decide whether to be happy or angry...
91_Aggie
AG
Oogway said:

When we moved here, we used a buyer's agent. Even so, we never assumed that school attendance zones were part of their purview. But, we came from a different experience than yours so perhaps that drove our research.

That was part of the whole rezoning- - if they fill up the undercapacity school, they can delay bonding (which can raise your tax rate.) School Districts make up a large share of your property tax.

Our house is assessed just shy of double from its value when we moved here. Can't decide whether to be happy or angry...

It's good if you plan to sell and buy something cheaper. It's bad if you plan to live there a long time as you get no real benefit for having your house valued that high. Higher taxes is all you get. I guess you could also get a big home equity loan if you are into being in debt but want to pretend you have lots of money.
rcannaday
AG
It is about who you know....Also, some builders will use local lawyers and assesment companies and fight for each and every single property (thus they win and you don't). But if that is true just use those as comps (get enough of them) and go in and fight.
Oogway
Lol, no. Do not want or need an equity loan. We will downsize even further when we are empty nesters.
BCSMom
Last year I went in for an informal meeting and was denied any changes because I only needed to look at the phase of the neighborhood my house was built in.

I created a spreadsheet of the phase 4 houses (didn't research them all yet) built in my neighborhood and took the "Assessed Value" and divided it by the Square Footage. Out of about 60ish houses about 90% are under what my house is per sq foot. Some of the houses are smaller, the same or larger than mine. There's been no improvement added to the outside of the house this year.

So is this something that is protestable? Protesting the price per sq foot?

Thanks!
Charli
snaglepuss said:

Should a 10% increase be disputed? Will it do any good?
It's your hard earned money going to taxes. So, that is a personal decision.
If you are happy paying the taxes and with the services provided, then do not protest.
But if you are under the impression that there is frivolous spending or poor management of your tax dollars, then yes, protest. And participate in every vote. Contact your elected officials that take responsibility for the government budgets.

"The buck stops here" - Harry S. Truman
Stucco
Megj416 said:

Is there a special tax assessment break that builders get? And I am not referring to homes that aren't finished, rather these are move-in ready inventory homes for sale. Why is it that homes which were completed in 2017 that are still owned by the builder, are CAD assessed $30-40k (about 15%) less than the same floorplan down the street, also completed in 2017, but was purchased from the builder in January 2018?
If this is the case for your house then it is easy to get the same rate. Simply get those property numbers and have the appraisal office run it again with those as comps. It will be very easy.
patmorgan235
Just a reminder that if the taxing entities abopt anything higher than the effective rate(which will be publish after the tax rolls are certified) they are raising you taxes. They may tell you other wise that they keep it the same as last year but with the rising valuas their wrong. The effitive rate is calculated by the appraisal district to give each taxing entity the same revenue as the previous year. Also if they tell you to blame the appraisal district their also wrong. The taxing entities elect the board of the CAD meaning they are responsible for the city, isd, county are responsible for the rising valuations.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.