I think 2018 BCAD values are in

16,386 Views | 105 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Law361
Koko Chingo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks.

Doing the math it looks like the cap for me is 10%. With the rest showing up in the HS Cap Loss collumn.
I guess my taxes will go up 10% per year until the difference is met
Love Gun
I guess I lucked out. 1.6% increase, and I live half a mile south of Rock Prairie/Longmire.
NateDog
AG
KidDoc said:

Anyone have experience with solar panels as an improvement? I had mine installed 2/2018 and didn't even think about it effecting my taxes.

No actual experience, but it is my understanding that the value of the solar/wind energy improvements are normally exempt from property taxes in Texas.

More info. Note there's an application process for the exemption.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Unbelievable. Two properties up 7 & 8%. I guess I should be happy bc that's a departure from the 10-12% both have experienced year over year since 2014.

Craziest part is my primary residence. Structure down almost $10k but land up over $50k (44% increase)??? That can't be right. Anyone else see something like this?
fcag
AG
Up 6% in the Oaks neighborhood.
Cartographer
17.7% in Shenandoah eesh
happyinBCS
Some of the homes in Miramont have 35 to 40k tax bill
Stucco
Protest annually or it only compounds.
woodometer
AG
When I appealed last year I was told that all of the comparable properties in my neighborhood were appraised exactly the same so appeal DENIED!

It is really hard to not feel that the system is rigged. Until we in Bryan and College Station stop electing revenue and spending addicted council members this will only continue until no one will be able to afford to own a home,

Just because our appraisals go up doesn't mean that our tax bill has too but the politicians keep succeeding in making people believe that when they leave the tax rate the same that they arent raising taxes.
australopithecus robustus
Oogway
I have a question for some of you who have protested before as it has been a while since I have done that, and the situation was different.

After looking around the values in our neighborhood, the houses and/or lots are for the most part appraised similarly, with the lots having been jumped up in $ a couple of years ago and the homes climbing steadily as well. The taxes will vary as our neighborhood is a mix of young families all the way to retirees. But next door is a home that is appraised over $40,000 less but is same square footage etc as the rest. What gives? Can I use that one house as a comp? If they neighbors have a good thing going I don't want to be the one person that craters that, but I would like to see my tax go down a little this year as we keep hitting the 10% as our neighborhood is solid. I mean I can ask the neighbor, but that might get awkward as we are neighborly but not bff (although if they are on TexAgs, hey neighbor!)
D_Wag97
AG
Went up quite a bit past two years, but down a little this year in South CS.
tb9665
What you need to do is take your house and divide the square foot and the appraisal of you house is. Kind of like buying a new house and what square footage is going for in your neighborhood.
runawaytrain
+$100k... un fing believable. It is like they are on crack cocaine. I think they just put prices out there, and they know 95% are not going to protest. They just take it on the chin and keep going. When there is a good chunk of homes non-owner occupied with no homestead exemption ... landmine for $$$$
dubi
AG
I live near campus south of Park Place and east of Dexter.

Home down 1.6%.
Rent house next door down 7.3%.

These are similar homes in similar condition. I'm certainly not complaining, but I'd like a refund on my 2016 taxes since I apparently overpaid!
dubi
AG
Oogway said:

I have a question for some of you who have protested before as it has been a while since I have done that, and the situation was different.

After looking around the values in our neighborhood, the houses and/or lots are for the most part appraised similarly, with the lots having been jumped up in $ a couple of years ago and the homes climbing steadily as well. The taxes will vary as our neighborhood is a mix of young families all the way to retirees. But next door is a home that is appraised over $40,000 less but is same square footage etc as the rest. What gives? Can I use that one house as a comp? If they neighbors have a good thing going I don't want to be the one person that craters that, but I would like to see my tax go down a little this year as we keep hitting the 10% as our neighborhood is solid. I mean I can ask the neighbor, but that might get awkward as we are neighborly but not bff (although if they are on TexAgs, hey neighbor!)
You certainly can use your neighbor's low appraisal house as a comp.

We go in every year to talk to an appraiser in an effort to get our home value reduced. Basically if you looked at our street, you can tell who is fighting at the tax office.
Carny89
How soon can one contest it?
Oogway
Thanks! I will take a look around the neighborhood and see what is what per sq ft and go from there.
Flatlander
My appraisal actually decreased slightly this year. But it blew past the HS cap last year, so my taxes are still going up as it catches up this year.
txbudda
Mine did the same in the Oaks up 6%
dubi
AG
Unofficially you can go in now and "sit" with an appraiser and discuss your property. We have mostly been happy with this approach; go in with a worksheet and explain your position. They will lower your appraisal on the spot and have you sign a form.

If still unhappy, you can file an official protest and be seen before a review panel.
RGRAg1/75
AG
Walk in basis for that?
dubi
AG
RGRAg1/75 said:

Walk in basis for that?
Yes. Walk in and just tell the receptionist you'd like to speak to an appraiser.
Stucco
The easiest way to get it lowered is to find similar properties with lower valuations, and ask them to use those as comps. They generally will, if they are reasonably similar to your property. It is very quick for them to adjust and calculate a new amount. I believe they take the average of 10, so you do need to find quite a few or they will still end up averaging in some of their own.
CS78
I've contested a lot of properties over the past 8-9 years. This is what I suggest. Turn in your notice of protest. They'll set a date for your hearing. Go in the date of your hearing, an hour or two early and tell them you'd like to speak with an assessor and try to avoid the hearing. Last year, I did the early walk in just like every year. Sometimes it's more productive than others but Ive always been at least somewhat satisfied and able to come to an agreement. This time, some of my properties I could not come to an agreement with the person I met with and decided to finally fight it in the hearing. I gathered my info and showed up on that day. The same person came back to me before the hearing and asked if we could try to work it out. They were much more loving and accommodating the day of and we were able to come to an agreement. Night and day difference. Having too many actual hearings creates a major issue for them.

Other tips. Be cordial but firm. Ask for more than you need and be willing to compromise. Pour through your neighbors properties looking for any discrepancy. If you find some, make them answer why. Ask what recent sales comps they used to justify your value and any increase. Many times, they don't have any. Documentation- this is huge. The people you are meeting with aren't out to get you. As they explained to me, their files get audited. If there's a pattern of them just dropping values for no reason, that's an issue. Give them documentation they can upload in to their system to cover their rears. Pictures of any damage or needed repairs on your property. Quotes from contractors for needed repairs (sewer drain lines, roofs, foundations, etc can be huge) HUD statements from sold properties, copies of the FEMA flood map if any part of your lot is in the flood zone, etc, etc. Ideally, you want to get a permanent condition adjustment added to your property if possible. It's a percentage adjustment that sticks from year to year and you aren't back in the same seat fighting the same issue every year. Keep a file with all your documentation. Don't assume that because you gave it to them one year, they'll have it the next year. I've been down that road too.
Zombie
Holy crap. I just looked at my house. Increase of $41k appraised value.....A 25% increase???
Zombie
Everyone in my neighborhood went up 20-25%. This is in Wheeler Ridge in Bryan. What the hell caused this kind of increase???
scs01
CS78 said:

I've contested a lot of properties over the past 8-9 years. This is what I suggest. Turn in your notice of protest. They'll set a date for your hearing. Go in the date of your hearing, an hour or two early and tell them you'd like to speak with an assessor and try to avoid the hearing. Last year, I did the early walk in just like every year. Sometimes it's more productive than others but Ive always been at least somewhat satisfied and able to come to an agreement. This time, some of my properties I could not come to an agreement with the person I met with and decided to finally fight it in the hearing. I gathered my info and showed up on that day. The same person came back to me before the hearing and asked if we could try to work it out. They were much more loving and accommodating the day of and we were able to come to an agreement. Night and day difference. Having too many actual hearings creates a major issue for them.

Other tips. Be cordial but firm. Ask for more than you need and be willing to compromise. Pour through your neighbors properties looking for any discrepancy. If you find some, make them answer why. Ask what recent sales comps they used to justify your value and any increase. Many times, they don't have any. Documentation- this is huge. The people you are meeting with aren't out to get you. As they explained to me, their files get audited. If there's a pattern of them just dropping values for no reason, that's an issue. Give them documentation they can upload in to their system to cover their rears. Pictures of any damage or needed repairs on your property. Quotes from contractors for needed repairs (sewer drain lines, roofs, foundations, etc can be huge) HUD statements from sold properties, copies of the FEMA flood map if any part of your lot is in the flood zone, etc, etc. Ideally, you want to get a permanent condition adjustment added to your property if possible. It's a percentage adjustment that sticks from year to year and you aren't back in the same seat fighting the same issue every year. Keep a file with all your documentation. Don't assume that because you gave it to them one year, they'll have it the next year. I've been down that road too.

Only thing I'd add is to be aware that there are two ways to protest, and they'll ask you which (at least they asked me last year): Equity or market, roughly speaking. If you protest based on the assessment being inequitable, then you need to show that some of your neighbors' appraisals are lower than yours when adjusted for age, condition, build quality, square footage, etc. If you protest based on market, then you need sales comps. Real estate agents sometimes are willing to help with sales comps.

They have a computer program that takes your property, randomly picks some comps based on location, neighborhood type, etc., adjusts for the things listed above, and spits out a number. When I went last year they asked for comps; they can substitute those for the ones the computer picked (or add them into the mix--not sure which) to see whether they give the same numbers. The appraisers generally want to work with you, but there is a limited range of options that they have. Basically they want to get the computer program to spit out the numbers that you eventually agree to. Otherwise it starts to look bad, as mentioned above. More subtle issues need to go to the board. And yes, they don't want to go to the review board if they can avoid it. Data, data, data is the key.
CN
So my parents who are of retirement age just purchased a house last week for less than what BCAD has it appraised at now (the 2017 appraisal is closer to what they paid). Should be no problem protesting right? Just bring in a copy of the settlement? They don't live here yet but even if they did, I'd be handling it since I have power of attorney.
Ornlu
AG
Zombie said:

Everyone in my neighborhood went up 20-25%. This is in Wheeler Ridge in Bryan. What the hell caused this kind of increase???
The city, county, and schools "need" more money, but they do not possess the testicular fortitude to go to the voters and ask for a 20% tax increase, so they just get BCAD to claim that property values increased 20%.
Stucco
CN said:

So my parents who are of retirement age just purchased a house last week for less than what BCAD has it appraised at now (the 2017 appraisal is closer to what they paid). Should be no problem protesting right? Just bring in a copy of the settlement? They don't live here yet but even if they did, I'd be handling it since I have power of attorney.

Yes - generally a HUD is sufficient to have it lowered. However, that only works the first year.

e.g. It is appraised at 300k based on 10 surrounding comps. They bought it for 280k. The valuation is protested and lowered to 280k. Next year, it is appraised based on 10 surrounding comps, so odds are the valuation will be right back up.

As a previous poster mentioned, the only permanent win is a % or fixed value reduction for flood plain, drainage, foundation, etc, or a correction to the information on your house such as floor/exterior wall type, feature inclusion, lot size, etc.
CS78
CN said:

Usually, yes. I have had a couple where they simply refuse if they have comps that drastically contrast your settlement statement.

More important, make sure to get their homestead and over 65 exemptions done.
duffelpud
AG
CS78 said:

Usually, yes. I have had a couple where they simply refuse if they have comps that drastically contrast your settlement statement.

More important, make sure to get their homestead and over 65 exemptions done.

It's a bit more subtle than that. This diagram better explains that relationship...

"What's this button do?"
Oogway
O Dufflepud, that was a good one!
tb9665
I always go and protest mine. Who wants to pay more taxes. I just don't get it why people think if their house value increases more than what they can sell it for is great.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.