New Charter School (Staff title change)

35,740 Views | 196 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jeffk
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cslifer said:

So the lady heading southbound was upset the parent failed to yield turning left causing an accident? I am shocked.
She was probably just caught up in the emotion of the moment seeing as how she caused was involved in a wreck.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
cslifer
You do realize that the person who turned left and failed to yield to oncoming traffic is at fault don't you?
bloom
I have no idea about the regulations involved in establishing a school zone, but I know the City of Bryan refused to establish school zones for Harmony Charter (located on TEXAS BLVD), and Arrow Academy Charter (located on Groesbeck). When they denied those requests I really wondered about the logic, since both streets carry commercial vehicle traffic. I would love for someone to explain why certain public schools do not deserve school zones for student, parent and staff safety but others automatically receive them. It seems odd and I can't believe the State does not mandate school zones for all public schools. Does anyone know why the Bryan Charters were denied? Maybe that would explain the lack of a zone for ILT.
techno-ag
AG
bloom said:

I have no idea about the regulations involved in establishing a school zone, but I know the City of Bryan refused to establish school zones for Harmony Charter (located on TEXAS BLVD), and Arrow Academy Charter (located on Groesbeck). When they denied those requests I really wondered about the logic, since both streets carry commercial vehicle traffic. I would love for someone to explain why certain public schools do not deserve school zones for student, parent and staff safety but others automatically receive them. It seems odd and I can't believe the State does not mandate school zones for all public schools. Does anyone know why the Bryan Charters were denied? Maybe that would explain the lack of a zone for ILT.
If you're cynical you'll say that cities look at school zones in terms of how much revenue they'll raise in tickets.

But seriously, I think Bryan felt the disruption to traffic on Texas wasn't worth it for Harmony. Dunno about the other.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Ratsa
I don't know much about how school zones are determined, but I'm pretty sure there is a section in the Texas Transportation Code that has guidelines for how they are determined. A number of years ago I contacted CSPD to see about lengthening a school zone another 100 feet or so in order to include a busy intersection in the school zone. They told me that it wouldn't be in compliance with the guidelines they had to follow in creating school zones, and the school zone remained unchanged. They did eventually turn the intersection into a 4-way stop, which resolved the problem, thankfully.

As for Harmony, I'm pretty sure they did end up approving a school zone on some of the side streets near the school, just not on Texas Ave. That was voted on by the Bryan City Council. So it doesn't appear that charter schools are ineligible for school zones. Safety changes coming to roads around Harmony Science Academy
cslifer
I have been by there several times as school is letting out, I haven't noticed very many kids walking, which are who school zones are meant to protect. For the amount people complain about traffic in this town is amazes me that anyone wants to make it worse.
Turf96
I know this is changing directions a bit from the traffic control but promised to report back at a later date.

So far the new school is going well for us. Friday is end of six weeks 1. for sure a challenge with 2 new languages. That being said i think they take it slower than I thought. Not sure if it is age based pace or the fact that they are having to learn 2 new ones. That being said pace is nice so far.

Teachers have been very quick to respond and very good at communication. I especially enjoy the fact they are open even when things aren't perfect. Unlike past years where you had to read between the lines. They just say we have a talkative class and it is a challenge to keep on pace but we are getting there. Never would I have heard that from either of our other prior school districts.

School uniforms are amazing. Not having to worry about the social issues that come with school dress is amazing. Add to it the school pictures are so darn cute.

There have been some kinks to work out but seem to be handled in a timely manner. The involvement initiated from them has been nice. Our child has made a huge jump in maturity. Seems to be a little more focus on growth and not just number grade performance which for me has been refreshing. I know our kid wants to learn more this year. They enjoy talking about school now. Wakes up not loving school but not dreading it. Gets in car after school still smiling. So far I grade it a huge success. We are happy with our choice.

Small dislike is it seems many class exams fall on same day. We had 6 exams in one day. That is a bit much and sure will get worked out over time. Can't imagine how to get that many new teachers all lined out. Figure if this is my worst complaint we are doing well.

Last thing is there are rumblings about people complaining about the charter school and attacking what they are within our community. I hope this is all just rumors. What sense would it make to attack another educational option for our youth? I don't get why people can't just be happy and help our kids learn anyway we can. Education should never be about politics but somehow always ends up that way here for some reason. You don't have to love the charter school but please don't attack it. Let's try and be more mature than the kids we chose to impact. If anybody attacks this new charter school in any way at this point they need to be shown the door.

Before somebody goes off on me remember we have kids in both CSISD and ILT. This is giving a inside report on ILT. Seems to be a portion of our community that likes to take exception to anybody that doesn't follow their orders or views on what school should be for all. Silly me I thought we still lived in a free country. I know of some that want to see this school fail which amazes me. I don't want to see any schools fail as that doesn't help our youth.

TLDNR: so far charter been a huge plus. Small issues here and there but we are pleased. If you have an issue with charter school please remember this is about our youth not your ego. Please support or stay quiet.
BQ_90
AG
the traffic sucks, but it looks like they have stopped the jaywalking.

who's paying for the cops to do traffic control, is that more tax payer money?
Fleen
Turf96 said:

I know this is changing directions a bit from the traffic control but promised to report back at a later date.

So far the new school is going well for us. Friday is end of six weeks 1. for sure a challenge with 2 new languages. That being said i think they take it slower than I thought. Not sure if it is age based pace or the fact that they are having to learn 2 new ones. That being said pace is nice so far.

Teachers have been very quick to respond and very good at communication. I especially enjoy the fact they are open even when things aren't perfect. Unlike past years where you had to read between the lines. They just say we have a talkative class and it is a challenge to keep on pace but we are getting there. Never would I have heard that from either of our other prior school districts.

School uniforms are amazing. Not having to worry about the social issues that come with school dress is amazing. Add to it the school pictures are so darn cute.

There have been some kinks to work out but seem to be handled in a timely manner. The involvement initiated from them has been nice. Our child has made a huge jump in maturity. Seems to be a little more focus on growth and not just number grade performance which for me has been refreshing. I know our kid wants to learn more this year. They enjoy talking about school now. Wakes up not loving school but not dreading it. Gets in car after school still smiling. So far I grade it a huge success. We are happy with our choice.

Small dislike is it seems many class exams fall on same day. We had 6 exams in one day. That is a bit much and sure will get worked out over time. Can't imagine how to get that many new teachers all lined out. Figure if this is my worst complaint we are doing well.

Last thing is there are rumblings about people complaining about the charter school and attaching what they are within our community. I hope this is all just rumors. What sense would it make to attach another educational option for our youth? I don't get why people can't just be happy and help our kids learn anyway we can. Education should never be about politics but somehow always ends up that way here for some reason. You don't have to love the charter school but please don't attach it. Let's try and be more mature than the kids we chose to impact. If anybody attaches this new charter school in any way at this point they need to be shown the door.

Before somebody goes off on me remember we have kids in both CSISD and ILT. This is giving a inside report on ILT. Seems to be a portion of our community that likes to take exception to anybody that doesn't follow their orders or views on what school should be for all. Silly me I thought we still lived in a free country. I know of some that want to see this school fail which amazes me. I don't want to see any schools fail as that doesn't help our youth.

TLDNR: so far charter been a huge plus. Small issues here and there but we are pleased. If you have an issue with charter school please remember this is about our youth not your ego. Please support or stay quite.

Pssst,... paragraph 7, change attach to attack, very confusing.
Edit to add: *quiet
Love,
Just a regular public school teacher...

TL/DNR: Please know I am just kidding. I don't care how we educate them, just support those of us that are trying to do so!
Ratsa
Turf96 said:

TLDNR: so far charter been a huge plus. Small issues here and there but we are pleased. If you have an issue with charter school please remember this is about our youth not your ego. Please support or stay quiet.

I'm glad the school has been good for your family! And I'm glad that the school offers the opportunity to learn 3 languages from an early age. But I can't condone the way they aren't dealing with the traffic problems they have created. There are options to fix the problems, but the principal is unwilling to do so. I will support the good that the school is doing, but I will not stay quiet about the problems they've created.
jeffk
AG
We've had a good experience as well so far

We also get the random, vague "I've heard some negative things" comments from acquaintances some too, but none of them have any specific gripes. Just weird frame of mind from some people.
Marlin39m
Curious to know if you have been by any other elementary school in CS at drop off or pick up time.
Ratsa
I absolutely have. None of them are ideal, but every one of them that I have been through have had a way to bypass the traffic safely if you are not going to the school.

Have you tried to go south on Longmire at 3:35 pm on a school day? Every time I've tried it since ILT opened, I've been faced with the option of sitting in the school traffic line until 3:45 pm (when the line begins to move) or driving in the northbound traffic's lane just south of Graham under the watchful eye of their off-duty police officer. There is no center turn lane on Longmire from Graham to the first school entrance, meaning there is no safe or legal way to bypass the line of cars waiting for school to let out.
TaterTot_09
Ratsa said:

I absolutely have. None of them are ideal, but every one of them that I have been through have had a way to bypass the traffic safely if you are not going to the school.

Have you tried to go south on Longmire at 3:35 pm on a school day? Every time I've tried it since ILT opened, I've been faced with the option of sitting in the school traffic line until 3:45 pm (when the line begins to move) or driving in the northbound traffic's lane just south of Graham under the watchful eye of their off-duty police officer. There is no center turn lane on Longmire from Graham to the first school entrance, meaning there is no safe or legal way to bypass the line of cars waiting for school to let out.

I hate to tell you but until they(city) widen the road it's probably as good as it's going to get considering this school is nearly 100% parent pick up times 1000 students. Also factor in the high concentration of other schools in that area that also release in the same hour and you've got thousands of cars funneling in and out. The principal is out there on a daily basis directing traffic so it seems like she's doing everything she can, short of building a wider road herself. Traffic sucks around schools so avoid the area around those times if at all possible.
Ratsa
Unfortunately I live very close to the school. While the traffic is lousy now, I dread how it will be when the school is fully enrolled.

I appreciate the principal directing traffic on the campus and that they seem to have a fairly efficient system of moving cars once the line begins to move. The issue is all the parents that arrive early blocking cars from moving before school has even let out. There are several options the school could take to minimize the issues: working with CSPD to prevent cars from stopping on sections of the road that don't allow other cars to safely or legally pass them; have a park-and-ride type school bus that serves students living further away; extending the driveway on school property to allow more cars to park on school grounds versus public roads. I'm sure there are more options; those are just the ones that have popped into my head. When I contacted the principal, she basically said it wasn't her problem, and to contact CSPD. Thankfully CSPD said they are working on the issue, but not to expect a quick fix.
MTTANK
AG
Not the schools issue, its the city's issue. If I built a business in that location and the increased traffic caused Ratsa traffic problems, there is nothing I could or would do about it. Roads are for the city to make right. If someone is in your way on the road and it's "illegal", that would also not be my problem to fix. The PD can hand out tickets if there is sinister activity occurring on your roadway. I lived by Cypress Grove when I was in college, and was jammed up in traffic all the time if it was during pickup or drop off times. It was very frustrating, and I am super impatient. I just worked my schedule around those times of day and rarely had to deal with it. I do understand your aggravation, it's just misguided. The school or business is not in charge of the infrastructure, or enforcing traffic violations for the city. And as far as the business spending more money out of pocket to purchase another location and bus customers, ridiculous to incur that expense. If I build a multi million dollar business, I expect the city to hold up their part on the infrastructure. The schools driveways and entrances are all within code, and were approved when built out. Again, not the schools fault.
GIG 'EM
montegobay
For the life of me, I don't understand the mentality of "My poor snowflake can't wait one minute after school is out. I have to arrive 45 minutes early to be first in line." I was going down Eagle around 4:05 the other day, and Longmire was backed up past the back entrance to the funeral home, just sitting there, blocking the entire road. Maybe they could stay in the middle lane only rather than block the entire road.

By the way, CSISD schools still have issues too. I live in the midst of Cypress Grove, Creekview, and CSHS. Cypress parents are good about pulling over by the curb while waiting to turn into the school rather than blocking all of Graham. Creekview parents assume everyone must be turning into the school. They take up the lane heading both directions and refuse to let through traffic pass by them. It's insane.

I just do my best to avoid any school areas at start or release times. This problem will only get worse.
Ratsa
MTTANK said:

Not the schools issue, its the city's issue. If I built a business in that location and the increased traffic caused Ratsa traffic problems, there is nothing I could or would do about it. Roads are for the city to make right. If someone is in your way on the road and it's "illegal", that would also not be my problem to fix. The PD can hand out tickets if there is sinister activity occurring on your roadway. I lived by Cypress Grove when I was in college, and was jammed up in traffic all the time if it was during pickup or drop off times. It was very frustrating, and I am super impatient. I just worked my schedule around those times of day and rarely had to deal with it. I do understand your aggravation, it's just misguided. The school or business is not in charge of the infrastructure, or enforcing traffic violations for the city. And as far as the business spending more money out of pocket to purchase another location and bus customers, ridiculous to incur that expense. If I build a multi million dollar business, I expect the city to hold up their part on the infrastructure. The schools driveways and entrances are all within code, and were approved when built out. Again, not the schools fault.
Whoa... You're putting words in my mouth that I never said. I never said that the parents in line are doing anything illegal. I said that if I want to drive past the school at certain times of the day, I have the choice of illegally driving into the oncoming traffic lane or sitting and waiting for 10 minutes until the school lets out. I also never called anything sinister, nor do I think the roadway belongs to me. The road is for ALL of the public, which is why I'm aggravated that probably 7-8 cars parked on the side of Longmire from Graham to the first school entrance can keep anyone else from using that section of the road for 10-15 minutes at a time.

The cars parked in the center turn lane from the school entrance down to Eagle don't bother me as long as they don't block intersections. They aren't keeping anyone from going where they need to go. The cars parked along Longmire north of Graham don't bother me either. I can safely and legally bypass them using the center turn lane.

I have driven through the Cypress Grove traffic for many years. It's not ideal, but at least you can bypass the school without being forced to sit in the line of cars entering the school.

As for my suggestion about the bus, I can't imagine why the school would need to purchase another location to run a bus. Obviously, you do need a bus and a bus driver, but I don't see why you would need to purchase land. If I lived in Bryan and my kids went to ILT, given the choice of picking up my kids from a bus stop somewhere closer to home without all of the traffic craziness around the school, I'd take that option in a heartbeat.

I agree it's the city's issue, and I'm thankful that they are working to improve the situation. I'm disappointed that P&Z let this school go through without better planning for the number of vehicles passing through the school daily. But this school is part of our community now, and I'm disappointed that they don't care about the impact they are having on their neighbors. If I owned a business whose patrons were causing traffic problems (cough, cough, Chick-Fil-A), I'd be working with the city to resolve them rather than saying it's not my fault and not my problem.
MTTANK
AG
I think you misunderstand me Rasta. I was not being sarcastic in saying that the parents might be doing something illegal. Blocking the road past the turn lane, very well might warrant a ticket. I'm not a Leo so I don't know for sure. But if it was, and they started ticketing I would bet people would stop showing up so early and jamming everything up. As far as putting words into peoples mouth, I think you are the only one guilty of that. Did the principal tell you she didn't care? Or are just assuming that because of what she told you? You are not the only one that has had a problem with the situation. The charter school has been in regular contact with the PD and the city about the situation. Since it is truly out of the schools hands, they are asking that people notify the PD of the problem bc that is the best shot at something being done. Chain of command kind of thing. It's ridiculous to think the school should pay to bus it's students bc the city isn't holding up its end of the deal. Again, I'm agreeing with you that it's frustrating and something needs to be done. I just think you are way off base blaming it on the school or business, and making comments that they don't care
GIG 'EM
TaterTot_09
They are working with the city. 2 cops twice a day directing traffic. I highly doubt the school says they don't care and won't do anything about it. But maybe you know something I don't. Planning and zoning will always lag behind a city's growth. If that weren't the case 290 wouldn't always be under construction. It might be an inconvenience right now but give it a few years and I'll bet it will be 4 lanes and will be a non issue for you. Roads aren't built at the snap of an angry resident's finger. Greens Prairie is a perfect example of patience paying off. That was way worse since it was only 2 narrow lanes and no shoulder yet today traffic flows and pedestrians/bikers co-exist.
07bluebonnet
TaterTot_09 said:

They are working with the city. 2 cops twice a day directing traffic. I highly doubt the school says they don't care and won't do anything about it. But maybe you know something I don't. Planning and zoning will always lag behind a city's growth. If that weren't the case 290 wouldn't always be under construction. It might be an inconvenience right now but give it a few years and I'll bet it will be 4 lanes and will be a non issue for you. Roads aren't built at the snap of an angry resident's finger. Greens Prairie is a perfect example of patience paying off. That was way worse since it was only 2 narrow lanes and no shoulder yet today traffic flows and pedestrians/bikers co-exist.
I was wondering why no one mentioned Greens Prairie Elementary - I haven't been past it this year, but in the previous years it was a standstill on that narrow, two lane road all the way back past Creek Meadows. Your only hope was to attempt a U-turn without going into the ditch, and go all the way around to Wellborn Road and come back from the other side if you wanted to access Pecan Trail or anything else in that area around pickup time. I guess it just wasn't on anyone on this threads route. I certainly never saw the Principal of Greens Prairie being called out on it, probably because public roads are above a school principals authority level.
CS_Aggie
[This thread is about the Charter School and issues specific to that school. -Staff]

[Posters that want to discuss the direct or inderect impact that the Charter School is having on CSISD need to start a thread about that subject. We realize that this is a complicated issue but we are trying to keep threads on topic as much as possible. Thank you. -Staff]

jeffk
AG
If you have specific criticism to discuss, I'd like to hear it. (Except traffic problems- that's been covered well-enough already.)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.