New Charter School (Staff title change)

35,908 Views | 196 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jeffk
Oogway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Another article about IL was out today (the Eagle). The capacity for the campus is 1,416 so a pretty good size. Before the thread was cleaned up, I was commenting on hoping to hear back from parents after the school year commences. (Not in a good schools vs bad schools post, but what their general impressions are).
Jinx
Oogway said:

Another article about IL was out today (the Eagle). The capacity for the campus is 1,416 so a pretty good size. Before the thread was cleaned up, I was commenting on hoping to hear back from parents after the school year commences. (Not in a good schools vs bad schools post, but what their general impressions are).
I will also be keeping an eye on feedback from parents who will have students attending. My oldest will go into Kindergarten in a couple of years and I'm looking forward to hearing what people have to say.
jeffk
AG
Oogway said:

http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/charter-school-officials-outline-campus-mission-to-emphasize-language-service/article_15b6e9fc-cbad-5f9a-b39c-68d49f773dc2.html
Turf96
Will keep you posted. Last night the founder was in town to answer questions and give out more info. My wife attended as I had another task with the kids. She said he was very down to earth and you could see his passion. Talked about their success and the vision for the future. Lots of info but I didn't hear it first hand from them so don't want to put too much out as some may be lost in translation. The building high school and how they transition was nice to know as we hadn't wondered about that in a few years.

Also progress looks great on the school if you havent driven by in a while. I know our 1 that will be attending is very excited. I know not all will be perfect but it feels right the more we find out. More I visit with folks from Frisco area and find out the fight to get in by chance makes it feel even better all the time. It is wildly popular there.

The outside trips seem really great as well. I always felt if you can allow somebody to see things it will soak in. Maybe because I'm very much a visual learner. That is one amazing 8th grade trip in my mind. US history year.

If I had a kindergartener or 1st grader I would be so excited I wouldn't be able to sleep. My 6th grader isn't upset that summer will end for the first time in a while. Nice to see them looking forward to school. We were working on something the other night and I noticed a difference in handwriting. Asked why and they stated need to get better for the charter school. I like the pride already. The 1 one on one conversation the principle had with my child already impacted them.
Oogway
https://www.theeagle.com/news/local/iltexas-charter-school-prepares-to-welcome-students/article_b6ed4e4b-db9a-523c-b30c-3f8e0fe8aa24.html

Another article regarding the IL charter school in the Eagle. The school will be hosting an open house this Thursday from 6-8 pm so parents, children and the community can tour the school.
Tigermom84
AG
Has anyone heard any more about the teachers that are being hired? Sounds from the news story like most are local. I see on the webpage that a good science teacher from Pecan Trail that just got hired.
Jinx
They have been posting introductions of teachers and staff on the facebook page for some time now, if you're interested.
Oogway
I know the art teacher and she is very good, too.
AggieMom_38
The art teacher has been at various CSISD schools and is wonderful. Speaks well for the Charter being able to recruit away some top CSISD (and also BISD) teachers.
CS_Aggie
We have been watching the introductions of teachers on the charter school Facebook page. I have to be honest, many of the teachers have outstanding backgrounds and experience and qualifications. I am very curious to see what CSISD reveals about the impact of the charter school on attendance in CSISD. A surprising number of our friends and neighbors in College Station (across many neighborhoods) are moving their children to the charter school. Some of them have really surprised me--families I never thought would leave CSISD but who are frankly fed up with the CSISD school board antics. I have heard the music/theater teacher at the charter school is exceptionally good, as is the art teacher. They have also hired some superb teachers in the language and STEM areas. My prediction is that the charter school will become the school of choice for K-8. I agree with other posters here that both CSHS and Consol are good enough high schools that I would be happy if our children were sent to either one. But with all the rezoning (more to come this fall....yay!) and with the challenges at some schools in the K-8 range in CSISD, the charter school looks like it's turning out to be an outstanding option.
Tailgate88
AG
I don't really have a dog in this fight since my kids are both in high school, but as an Econ major, I would just like to say, competition is always a good thing.
techno-ag
AG
CS_Aggie said:

We have been watching the introductions of teachers on the charter school Facebook page. I have to be honest, many of the teachers have outstanding backgrounds and experience and qualifications. I am very curious to see what CSISD reveals about the impact of the charter school on attendance in CSISD. A surprising number of our friends and neighbors in College Station (across many neighborhoods) are moving their children to the charter school. Some of them have really surprised me--families I never thought would leave CSISD but who are frankly fed up with the CSISD school board antics. I have heard the music/theater teacher at the charter school is exceptionally good, as is the art teacher. They have also hired some superb teachers in the language and STEM areas. My prediction is that the charter school will become the school of choice for K-8. I agree with other posters here that both CSHS and Consol are good enough high schools that I would be happy if our children were sent to either one. But with all the rezoning (more to come this fall....yay!) and with the challenges at some schools in the K-8 range in CSISD, the charter school looks like it's turning out to be an outstanding option.
Yup. The school board may think long and hard regarding future rezoning if impacted parents have a good option like this charter school seems to be. Maybe they won't be so quick to redraw those lines next time.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
Captn_Ag05
AG
From the few pictures of the building I have seen (haven't seen in person), it is a nice looking building!
Tigermom84
AG
https://www.csisd.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=980694&type=d&pREC_ID=1301052

Has anyone actually read CSISD's "District of Innovation" plan? From page 3: "The status of District of Innovation would allow College Station ISD to have most of the flexibilities that open-enrollment charter schools currently utilize." This was adopted last November. I found the part about not having a limit on the student to teacher ratios to be very important. It would appear that they want to be able to have larger class sizes.

I wonder if CSISD feels threatened by the presence of the charter school? Will the DOI plan made the district better?
bloom
The "District of Innovation" puts a positive name on a plan that is in place primarily so districts can begin classes earlier than the State mandated start date (this is very much a primary driver behind districts applying for the status), and so districts can have the ability to increase class sizes. Laws were put in place for a reason, teachers and admins did not like them so they convinced someone to establish this (District of Innovation) work-around which sounds like some kind of pro-active educational program. Pretty clever actually........ I wish I could get my office designated a Workplace of Innovation to avoid some pesky state laws.
CS_Aggie
We stopped by the charter school's official open house event ("Eagles Unite") this past Thursday. The facilities were awesome, and there was a lot of excitement among the teachers, students, and families. As someone else said on this thread, competition is a beautiful thing. IL Texas will be great for B/CS. The Eagle also did a really nice article on the charter school open house:

https://www.theeagle.com/news/local/open-house-introduces-students-families-to-new-college-station-charter/article_c56f3d75-32f7-533f-9100-821736874d3e.html
AggieMom_38
bloom said:

The "District of Innovation" puts a positive name on a plan that is in place primarily so districts can begin classes earlier than the State mandated start date (this is very much a primary driver behind districts applying for the status), and so districts can have the ability to increase class sizes. Laws were put in place for a reason, teachers and admins did not like them so they convinced someone to establish this (District of Innovation) work-around which sounds like some kind of pro-active educational program. Pretty clever actually........ I wish I could get my office designated a Workplace of Innovation to avoid some pesky state laws.
I am unfamiliar with the DOI movement but reading up on it, it sounds like Bloom nailed it. CSISD can also be lax in hiring of certified teachers. That's often a criticism of Charters, but I guess CSISD can no longer claim that advantage over the Charter. That'll be interesting particularly given some of the good CSISD teachers leaving for the Charter. Definitely sounds like the district is trying to put a positive even disingenuous name on something not clearly best for students' education.
Oogway
IIRC, when the District first applied for this it was about 2(?) years ago when they were experiencing unprecedented growth and I think the idea was it would mitigate some of the issues with that (such as having to build schools every other year). But I'm not sure. You can put a positive or negative spin on anything these days.

Anyway, I think the students at the new school begin this week don't they? Have a great start to the school year students! Go and learn and learn and grow!
InMyOpinion
I would assume the new charter school has all classes filled at this point - have they disclosed any numbers of where all the students previously attended. It would be interesting to know how many students each district, private school or other charter "lost".
MTTANK
AG
According to the charter school principal, student enrollment has been about 75% CSISD kids. I know a huge amount of Indian Lakes families put their kids in the charter school, even though they escaped the high school rezoning. They are smart enough to know middle and elementary school rezoning is next and they are the number one target to ship across town, among others. I think College Station could support a second charter school and probably a private school as well in the next couple of years.
GIG 'EM
Tigermom84
AG
I believe I heard from a teacher at charter that their enrollment is over 1000 now, and the capacity is 1200. They have some grades with space (upper grades I think), but most are full. They still are marketing to the community "come check us out"...

CSISD's DOI plan doesn't specifically state their class sizes. ILT is very forthcoming that their k-5 class ratio is 20:1 and 6-8 is 26:1 if memory serves. That's very refreshing as I hear some classes at cshs are 40:1?!?! Like bloom said, clever marketing ploy so that they don't have to follow the state rules (which state 20:1 as a mandatory average ratio).
Turf96
Looking forward to next week. First time I remember where school needs to hurry to get here. Uniforms are here and looking sharp. The school tour was a great experience for our kid. It is so refreshing to look forward to school again instead of the last couple of years. Hope it is what we feel
It is. At minimum we will know where we are going to be for a while. Can't say that for the school district like we used to.

Should be interesting how it influences this next round of elementary rezones. Will be interesting to see the distribution of ages and locations. I See charters becoming the new norm if society keeps playing with the rules the way they did this last round.
Tigermom84
AG
I agree with you Turf. It was so refreshing to go to the Eagles Unite event and see the natural diversity of the families. My kids are super excited about all the new people they will meet. We are excited for Thursday also!
Turf96
Went to meet the teacher last night. Wow I wish I had a gym like that as a kid. Teachers seemed warm and inviting. Coaches seemed eager to get started. Was wonderful to see many kids excited about starting school. A few small issues but all and all ready for tomorrow. I was surprised to see several of our friends there that I would have never believed would have been there. Love the language aspect as it is seen everywhere. Think this can be a great year. Beautiful place and I think a great addition to the Brazos Valley. Here's to hopeful stability.
techno-ag
AG
The principal was on the news this morning.

http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/First-day-of-class-for-new-charter-school-focused-on-international-leadership-490915031.html
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
halibut sinclair
Wicked Good Ag
The traffic backup after school is UGLY to the point you have to avoid Longmire
Oogway
It's also not too far from Cypress Grove Int and Creekview Elementary so that adds more students funneling through area. Good to know though!
Wicked Good Ag
It is because our youngest is at Creekview. That said nothing about the traffic issues seems to be associated to the CSISD schools.
I don't know if the charter school has every grade out at same time but it is backed up past Kroger at times on Longmire and past Eagle the other direction
Oogway
IIRC, parents to IL have to provide transportation, so if they have around 1000(?) students then there would be a number of cars even with walkers, bicycle riders, and car poolers. Maybe their administration can sit down and work it out for better flow. CSISD has had to do that in years past.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Are start and pick up times staggered?
Tigermom84
AG
1000 non-driving, non-bussed kids to get home and it takes about 15min to get through the line. It's an incredible system, the best one I've experienced. Ever. Once the line starts moving, your car almost never stops until you get to the front. Any time you have a school, there will be traffic waiting prior to pickup times. if you're not willing to navigate lines of waiting cars, avoid the area from 3:30-4:30.
Oogway
CollegeStationMaid
It's horrible planning! My child goes to Cypress Grove and you have to drive all the way around to be able to get to Cypress Grove. The traffic backup on Longmire does not allow you to turn right on Graham Road. I sat in line on Longmire yesterday for over 20 minutes and the line didn't budge. I finally decided to turn left and go down feeder to Eagle. With boths schools letting at the same time it's almost impossible to get through. Poor planning!
JP76
Try

Alexandria
Victoria
Eagle
Birmingham

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.