All The King's Men

9,361 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Tailgate88
The Anchor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know this place has been mentioned on the Coming and Going thread, but it deserves it's own thread. My wife and I went there over the weekend. It may be one of our new favorite spots. Everything was excellent. The atmosphere, the service, and the food were top notch.

We had the Kitchen Sink sandwich, St. Louis ribs, Gouda mac and cheese, a wild boar sausage link and a couple of beers. Everything was great! We will definitely be going back.

It's in downtown Bryan.
FlyRod
Great place...bbq, sides, beer and whiskey all good. The "kinda expensive for this town" crowd gripe about it, but they are doing good business. Love this addition to the downtown Bryan scene.
bobinator
AG
Been wanting to try this place, glad to hear good things.
farmersfight
AG
Candied pork belly burnt ends!
AgsWin2011
AG
ATKM is damn good. But I bet you spent around $75 before tip.
The Anchor
AG
Heismenberg said:

ATKM is damn good. But I bet you spent around $75 before tip.

$50ish with $10 tip.
australopithecus robustus
Quality costs a little more
one MEEN Ag
AG
ATKM has incredible brisket and turkey. The bark on the brisket was perfect and the rub was really good. You don't need the sauce, but the spicy and an expresso sauces are amazing as well.

Very pleased with our trip and excited a great BBQ restaurant has opened up in town.
Wicked Good Ag
We tried this place as well recently.

We loved the candied burnt ends as an appitizer and got the brisket and Mac and cheese and grits as sides.

The good
BBQ was solid. Nothing earth shattering but good. Better than Good Bull and Rudy's
Wife LOVED the grits and the burnt ends were solid except one piece that was basically pure fat
Kids will like the Mac and cheese that we brought home but there was a reason we saved more for them instead of us

The bad. Price point. The cost was too much IMO. $35 for what we got was a bit high. Everything on menu is more expensive then Truth in Brenham a top 10 place. Nothing they had competes with Truth other than promixity.

Will we go back. Yes. But at the price point we are not willing to purchase an $8.50 slice of pecan pie to even know if it is worth it. They should really have a lunch special set up to get people to try other items.
17.50 per person for lunch for the amount we got wasn't worth it.

Would rather play an extra $20 for gas and get more brisket (extra 1/2 pound of brisket and a piece of cake ) from Truth.
The Anchor
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

We tried this place as well recently.

We loved the candied burnt ends as an appitizer and got the brisket and Mac and cheese and grits as sides.

The good
BBQ was solid. Nothing earth shattering but good. Better than Good Bull and Rudy's
Wife LOVED the grits and the burnt ends were solid except one piece that was basically pure fat
Kids will like the Mac and cheese that we brought home but there was a reason we saved more for them instead of us

The bad. Price point. The cost was too much IMO. $35 for what we got was a bit high. Everything on menu is more expensive then Truth in Brenham a top 10 place. Nothing they had competes with Truth other than promixity.

Will we go back. Yes. But at the price point we are not willing to purchase an $8.50 slice of pecan pie to even know if it is worth it. They should really have a lunch special set up to get people to try other items.
17.50 per person for lunch for the amount we got wasn't worth it.

Would rather play an extra $20 for gas and get more brisket (extra 1/2 pound of brisket and a piece of cake ) from Truth.
I haven't been to Truth, so I can't really compare the two. However, we have 3 little ones 4 and under. When we get nights out we aren't going to add at least an hour of driving to our date nights. Maybe we will get out there one day.
theycallmemrtibbs
Wicked Good Ag said:

$20 for gas to get to Brenham?? Are you driving a RV from the 1980s to get there?
Wicked Good Ag
$20 includes gas an extra half pound of brisket and a large piece of cake in addition to what we got at all the kings men
drivinwest
AG
I'm a fan as well. Sausage, brisket, sauces, mac and cheese, potato salad, candied tips--all solid. They also have a very decent beer selection. About 20 or so taps.
Zombie
I absolutely love this place. Not sure why everyone is saying it is so pricey. Girlfriend and I went, shared a 1/2 lb brisket, 1/2 lb sausage, two sides and 4 beers between us. Spent $50 w/ tip. Very decent price for the food and alcohol
b0ridi
Zombie said:

I absolutely love this place. Not sure why everyone is saying it is so pricey. Girlfriend and I went, shared a 1/2 lb brisket, 1/2 lb sausage, two sides and 4 beers between us. Spent $50 w/ tip. Very decent price for the food and alcohol
If I'm spending $50 on a meal, I better get more than 1 lb of meat.
MosesHallRAB83
AG
b0ridi said:

Zombie said:

If I'm spending $50 on a meal, I better get more than 1 lb of meat.
Did you not read 2 sides, 4 beers and that price was with the tip?
Zombie
Exactly. And it was more than enough for a lunch. And I am a fairly big guy at 6'3, 240. The sides were good portions and the meat was excellent. And these weren't cheap beers either. They were different crafts that we tried
rhoswen
AG
FlyRod said:

Great place...bbq, sides, beer and whiskey all good. The "kinda expensive for this town" crowd gripe about it, but they are doing good business. Love this addition to the downtown Bryan scene.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
We were there again for the third Sunday in a row. Its one of the best joints in BCS in our opinion.

Brisket, all the sausages, all the appetizers are all exceptional. Serving size is above average. Their 1/2 lb is noticeably more than Rudys for example. Quality is 10X better

Always sit at the bar. ICE COLD beers.

Have had all the sides and all are very good. Some unique stuff like 3 beans, cheesy grits, smoke grilled broccoli w parmesan. Et al

For two of us, 5 beers, and get stuffed. No dessert. $50 with tip is average
I went for lunch the other day. Had my meal plus the pecan pie...$30 after tip. ATKM is a local top 3 for sure, but unless I just have to have a beer with my bbq for lunch, there are two other places I'd rather spend my money for a better product.
Floor it until you see God
techno-ag
AG
TxSquarebody said:

I went for lunch the other day. Had my meal plus the pecan pie...$30 after tip. ATKM is a local top 3 for sure, but unless I just have to have a beer with my bbq for lunch, there are two other places I'd rather spend my money for a better product.
A $30 lunch? That adds up over time.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
halibut sinclair
FlyRod
Real world math skills.
musicforall
Try the slaw, especially with the smoked turkey. This is now my favorite slaw since C/Js changed their slaw recipe and took the poppy seeds out.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
I didn't single out the slaw but yes it is unique and very bueno

Have not tried the turkey yet.
AG
Sausage seemed store bought to me, brisket and sides all excellent.
Wish they were in CS
halibut sinclair
aggiepaintrain said:

Wish they were in CS

I don't.
LOYAL AG
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

Wish they were in CS

little birdie told me they're trying to get to south CS in 2019.
The Anchor
AG
I went for lunch again yesterday. I had the brisket and jalapeno cheese sausage again. Their food is amazing!
MTTANK
AG
Did you have to call your bank and get the daily spending limit increased before hand? I am curious if they smoke the bbq offsite, because I have never seen any signs of a real bbq pit on location. No doubt, their brisket is good though. 1775 bbq towards snook is really good if you have not had the chance.
GIG 'EM
The Anchor
AG
It is pricey, but it is well worth it.

I have yet to try 1775. I am working on that, though.
BQwolf05
AG
When I have gone It looks like they have a commercial smoker, not a traditional smoker.
BQwolf05
AG
If you stop by the The Yard you can see their logo on the sign out front, Also listed, in KBTX article.
Brewmaster
AG
I went for the first time... worth the price. Some of the best Q I've ever had and huge on tap beer selection.
halibut sinclair
BREwmaster said:

I went for the first time... worth the price. Some of the best Q I've ever had and huge on tap beer selection.
They have the taps working again? They were down for a long time.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.