Caprock hospital

20,411 Views | 113 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JMac03
happyinBCS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Please help me understand this business model. 2 small towns 3 major hospitals and 90 miles away from the best healthcare in the world. How do they cash flow ?
AggieBarstool
happyinBCS said:

90 miles away
I think you answered yourself right there, bub.

People who are dying don't necessarily want to travel 90 miles.
jac4
AG
AggieBarstool said:

happyinBCS said:

90 miles away
I think you answered yourself right there, bub.

People who are dying don't necessarily want to travel 90 miles.

Hopefully people that are dying don't go to stand alone EDs.
csnole
CapRock has the best ER doctors in town - I wouldn't go anywhere else in BCS
happyinBCS
Great to hear, I never said they don't have good Doc's , they must be extremely wealthy because with their advertising budget it seems to me they are buying the patients at a very high cost. I have lived here for over 40 years and thank goodness I am in good health. I just don't understand their target market, and as a footnote the advertising get's so old I would go to a local hospital if I had an emergency. I wish them well but the overhead must be off the charts and the end user pays the bill
AggieBarstool
happyinBCS said:

Great to hear, I never said they don't have good Doc's , they must be extremely wealthy because with their advertising budget it seems to me they are buying the patients at a very high cost. I have lived here for over 40 years and thank goodness I am in good health. I just don't understand their target market, and as a footnote the advertising get's so old I would go to a local hospital if I had an emergency. I wish them well but the overhead must be off the charts and the end user pays the bill
Yes, you're absolutely right. High markup (more than a "normal" hospital) on everything. The enter markets where they know pockets can go deep (like students with mommy and daddy's credit card).
jac4
AG
csnole said:

CapRock has the best ER doctors in town - I wouldn't go anywhere else in BCS

Be that as it may, if I, my spouse, or children needed the services of an ER, there would likely be a cath lab, OR, or ICU in rapid succession. Otherwise we will wait until the morning and go to Urgent Care.

I would implore you that if you come upon someone who you believe is actually dying, please ensure they are transported to a hospital based ER. You could send them to a stand alone first, but they'll end up in the hospital.
EBrazosAg
AG
If you are really sick, you don't want a freestanding. Always a delay getting to higher level care vs ER associated with hospitals. The non-hospital associated freestandings will not see you with Medicare Medicaid Tricare. They bill out of network with every insurance company and adjust and write-off copay and coinsurance to get as much as they can from insurance and patient without there being too much screaming. So - to recap - don't take patients with worst paying insurance, and get as much as you can from those with better insurance. Avoid overhead like ICU and OR, etc. That's the business model.

The new one by Target in Bryan is a Microhospital. Dont' know if that part of it is open. But they built and at least partially permitted for that to future proof against anticipated legislation that would put non hospital affiliated freestandings out of business. Others in Houston have done this, or just sold out to hospital chains to avoid that future. It's relatively easy to do if you can get past the lobbyist in Austin...... many other states don't allow freestandings. So they know it is a possibility.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
backinbcs
They don't accept Medicare. That tells me enough.
cslifer
What does exactly does that tell you? It tells me that they are smart enough to know how difficult it is to turn a profit when dealing with the ridiculous reimbursement rates that Medicare/Medicaid pay, as well as all the other issues that come along with participation in those programs.
The Original AG 76
AG
Can someone explain the logic behind that annoying tv commercial that has the kids at the ice cream stand. The tag line is that " you'll never pay more than at whatever doc-in-a-box..." It just doesn't make sense . It tells me that NO ONE has higher prices than this outfit so therefor the price you pay at Doc-O-Rama is guaranteed to be the highest in town....
What am I missing ?
Carnwellag2
No they don't and they can't even do basic ER functions. They constantly have to send patients to one of the three large ERs.

They are an urgent care clinic that bills as an ER
csnole
You have your opinion and I have mine - one of the Drs was at St Joseph ER a few years back when I brought my dad there for heart issues and now is at CapRock - he is fantastic and I would completely trust him with my ER needs. We have since been to CapRock twice for other issues and were very satisfied with the services and the other Drs.

To the other poster who begged that if I came across someone dying to not bring them to a freestanding ER - what I have done in the past and will continue to do is to simply dial 911 and let the professionals handle it, but for myself and family - we will go to CapRock.
cslifer
What are the "basic Er functions" that they can't do? Please be specific, I think a lot of us would like to know...
TLIAC
AG
I know several of the Caprock docs. They worked in local ER's and are excellent. My husband and I have each had ER visits in the last couple of years. The treatment that we received at Caprock was immediate and top notch. That's where I will go in the future.
Oogway
Isn't it nice that we live in a community with choices? Wherever you or loved ones go, I hope they live long and prosper....
jac4
AG
cslifer said:

What are the "basic Er functions" that they can't do? Please be specific, I think a lot of us would like to know...

Like I said above, if I am seeking "emergency" care I will need a cath lab, ICU stay, or OR encounter in short order.

I'm sure the ER docs are quite capable. I'm sure their entrepreneurial spirit and customer service are both top notch. I just can't imagine a scenario where I personally would visit a free standing ER.

If my tum-tum hurts or I sprain my ankle, I'll hit up urgent care the next day for a fraction of the out of pocket expense.
cslifer
None of those things you listed are remotely close to a function of an Er at any hospital.
An Er evaluates, begins treatment and gets you headed towards one of the things you listed. If you were to check the stats, patients from free standings are often admitted faster than from the Er in a hospital. But as an above poster said, thank goodness we have choices. As someone with extensive professional experience with all the ers in town I will be sticking with Caprock.
unmade bed
This is what doctors have to do now to make money with the way government and health insurance companies have ruined the healthcare industry. Docs have 2 choices, go work for a hospital, or just build their own "hospital."

Just gotta hope you never get sick.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
I'm with Oogway. Glad we have choices.

Imagine if/when the government controls when you have access to care of any variety. We already see that with Medicaid patients overrunning ERs with basic medical needs. The Caprocks of the world have found a way to give quicker access to those either willing to pay, or with non-government insurance. I've never used them, but wouldn't hesitate if it's after hours.
75AG
AG
I wonder if their business model changes as more and more baby boomers move into Medicare?
BCStalk
I think this best describes the purpose they serve. The last time I went to the ER I waited an hour to have my finger stitched back together. Sadly the term emergency now covers coughs and tummy aches. Hopefully I never have that happen again, but I assure you if it does I'm going to a stand-alone.
SFLORIDAAG
AG
Reading the posts makes me wonder if the posters have ever been to Caprock? Unfortunately, we had several emergencies last year that required an ER. One issue had to do with a pregnant wife with a high risk pregnancy. She sat in the S&W ER for 3 hours. Caprock had her in in 5 min. The other issues were with young children and were treated quickly and effectively. About half the bills I received are less than my ER copay.

Better doctors, better service. No question.
justalocal
Working in an OR, we get quite a few patients that are transferred from Caprock and Signature that need surgery. Nothing against them but those patients incur a bill from the freestanding ER and then the actual hospital when they could have avoided the middle man (the freestanding ER). My favorite is when a patient tells me they went to said freestanding ER two or three times before it was finally determined they needed surgery. I'd hate to get those bills.

They are obviously making money. To each their own.
EBrazosAg
AG
cslifer said:

None of those things you listed are remotely close to a function of an Er at any hospital.
An Er evaluates, begins treatment and gets you headed towards one of the things you listed. If you were to check the stats, patients from free standings are often admitted faster than from the Er in a hospital. But as an above poster said, thank goodness we have choices. As someone with extensive professional experience with all the ers in town I will be sticking with Caprock.
To each his own. But your progress to the cath lab is lengthened by at least 30 min if not more at one of the non hospital free standing ER's. And data shows that can be the difference in life death or disability. Same for any true surgical emergency. I don't think it's that they can't take care of true emergencies. But you have to recognize they are limited in treatment options, and will have to transfer for any surgical or other procedural treatments beyond basic ER stuff.

As for the docs....It's unfair to categorize them as anything other than fine ER docs. Many docs work shifts at both major hospitals and free standing ER's.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cslifer
I will agree with you partially. During the day you might be in the cath lab faster, but at night everyone is calling in folks to do it, so it doesn't really matter where you sit while you wait. Surgery is the same. I think a lot of people think we have tv hospitals here, and that couldn't be further from the truth.
tdm89
"They bill out of network with every insurance company and adjust and write-off copay and coinsurance to get as much as they can from insurance and patient without there being too much screaming"

Out-of-network billing is the key here. It can be very profitable. Out-of-network costs your insurance company more money because the there is no contracted reimbursement rate for services and the reimbursement is set based on different methodologies. If Caprock is an expert at this, they can get paid way more for the same "service" as a contracted ER, and they likely use some sort of patient "financial hardship" Agreement so as to not have to pursue huge out-of-pocket balances leftover after the insurer pays.
MsC2012
AG
I thought ERs had to bill in network? I swore I've been told that before. It doesn't matter who your insurance is they have to bill In network. Is that not true?

If I'm dying I'm not going to a free standing ER. I'm going to a hospital that had an OR. And if I'm just sick I'm going to Urgent Care.
EBrazosAg
AG
cslifer said:

I will agree with you partially. During the day you might be in the cath lab faster, but at night everyone is calling in folks to do it, so it doesn't really matter where you sit while you wait. Surgery is the same. I think a lot of people think we have tv hospitals here, and that couldn't be further from the truth.
The day/night time difference is much less than you think..... the certification standards don't allow for that....and which is going to get activated for call in faster by a hospital: a heart attack that their ER says is happening, or a heart attack that is at another ER and may or may not be happening? The cardiologist at the big hospital likely can look at the labs and ecg online from the hospital. That seems less likely from the free standing.
gettingitdone
They are not allowed to take Medicare, Medicaid and Tricare because they are not attached to a hospital. This is a government rule. I am sure they would accept these insurances if the government would let them.
gettingitdone
ER's are required to bill as being in network. However, the doctor's don't have to be in network. Huge difference. My son was seen at caprock back in September. He was given IV therapy and meds. All we paid was our copay for the ER visit. I checked our BCBS EOB and everything was billed and paid as in network.
MiMi
S
Quote:

They are not allowed to take Medicare, Medicaid and Tricare because they are not attached to a hospital. This is a government rule. I am sure they would accept these insurances if the government would let them.
Is Caprock Hospital accepting Medicare, Medicaid, and Tricare?
veritas47
Is this kind of like Caprock ER painting "Hospital" on its new building thinking it makes their glorified Urgent Care into a hospital?

https://goo.gl/images/V9sjp6
My child was experiencing some unusual heart rhythms. We had already seen our PCP. Doc said to go to the ER next time it occurred. PCP sought a pedi cardiology referral for us and it was booked for 7 months in the future. Next episode, we went to a local ER attached to a hospital. Waited several hours. By the time we were seen, it had stopped. We were instructed by our PCP to go to Caprock the next time. We did and Caprock got him right in. Caprock ER caught the episode and they were able to send the records to the pedi cardiologist, who moved our initial appointment up to the following week. So, for us, we are happy Caprock ER customers. And yes, we got billed by both ERs. I was happy to pay the Caprock bill, which was within a few hundred dollars of the ER attached to the hospital.

I have no hard feelings against the busy ER attached to the hospital as they were seeing patients who might have been in much worse shape than my child. I get that. I am happy to have the Caprock ER option available.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
Their business model is based on ignorance to get those in the door.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.