Caprock hospital

20,475 Views | 113 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JMac03
EBrazosAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
KidDoc said:

dave99ag said:

Stupe said:

As of a few weeks ago, they don't take Medicare.
Not shocking as they would have to apply to more stringent rules than commercial healthcare. I'd imagine most free-standing ERs don't take Medicare / Medicaid.
They don't take any federal insurance as then they would fall under EMTALA rules that mandate they have to see anyone regardless of ability to pay.

Pretty sure Emtala not in play re taking Medicare and Medicaid. They still have to provide medical screening exam regardless to all that present.....and yes. The 10 beds are futureproof against state regulations putting them out of business - not government insurance.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
KidDoc
AG
EBrazosAg said:

KidDoc said:

dave99ag said:

Stupe said:

As of a few weeks ago, they don't take Medicare.
Not shocking as they would have to apply to more stringent rules than commercial healthcare. I'd imagine most free-standing ERs don't take Medicare / Medicaid.
They don't take any federal insurance as then they would fall under EMTALA rules that mandate they have to see anyone regardless of ability to pay.

Pretty sure Emtala not in play re taking Medicare and Medicaid. They still have to provide medical screening exam regardless to all that present.....and yes. The 10 beds are futureproof against state regulations putting them out of business - not government insurance.

EMTALA applies to any ER that takes Medicare.

https://www.healthlawyers.org/Pages/PageNotFoundError.aspx?requestUrl=https://www.healthlawyers.org/hlresources/Health%20Law%20Wiki/Emergency%20Medical%20and%20Labor%20Treatment%20Act%20(EMTALA).aspx
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
EBrazosAg
AG
Bad link. There are aspects of Emtala that apply regardless. Screening medical exam is one. Irrespective of EMTALA- the hospital is to future proof against a state law change that could put non-hospital affiliated freestandings out of business. Nothing to do w Medicare - Medicaid - or Tricare.
woodiewood1
I won't go back to Caprock if at all possible. It took us over a year and a half to try to get them to drop a $115 charge for a pain pill that my wife did not get when I took her there. Basically after fighting them without them dropping it, I just told them to sue us and we will see them in court.

I never head back and no credit ding or collector ever made contact.

EBrazosAg
AG
woodiewood1 said:

I won't go back to Caprock if at all possible. It took us over a year and a half to try to get them to drop a $115 charge for a pain pill that my wife did not get when I took her there. Basically after fighting them without them dropping it, I just told them to sue us and we will see them in court.

I never head back and no credit ding or collector ever made contact.

You won't hear from them. It's not the business model - get as much as you can from insurance as out of network, then anything the patient is happy to pay, then move on and avoid bad publicity. That's the independent free-standing playbook.
txcajun
AG
They do charge a lot more than an urgent care center or standard hospital ER. My wife went to one when she was pregnant simply because it was closer to our home with no wait. At the time, the BSW Today Care here in town had an hour wait with people coughing and sick, and this one had no wait. They're usually much nice than your typical clinic or hospital (aquariums, TVs, nice chairs, newer equipment, snacks). Also, the staff is very attentive and friendly, usually little to no wait, and you're seen relatively quick. It's like an upgraded urgent care. I didn't feel the doctors were any different from your typical urgent care center or hospital. I think it's the experience of being better simply because it looks and feels that way. For example, something or someone may look nicer simply by appearance, but that doesn't mean they're better than the other. Take a look at the doctor's credentials. They're usually not any different than the doctors you find in urgent cares or general hospitals. Blame our healthcare system... I pay for a concierge doctor simply because it's hard to find good doctors, and I have health insurance, too. I think a lot of the insurance stuff has forced doctors to do these standalone ER clinics, can't really blame them. I'm not in the medical field, so I don't know, just guessing...
txcajun
AG
JMac03 said:

MisterShipWreck said:

I received a letter from my BCBS policy a while back - stating that they will not cover freestanding ER visits
This is very interesting. I've had 2 visits to Caprock and haven't had issues and have BCBS. Granted I have never had to pay a dime out of my own pocket to CR (after my insurance paid, KidsKlub insurance picked up the rest of it). If they would have billed me for my last visit I would have seen a bill but they just cleaned up my wound and sent me on my way.
I have BCBS and my wife has United Healthcare, both really good PPO plans. I received a bill about a month after my visit. I recommend you call and check, don't wait for them to send you a bill. I find it hard to believe you got in and out without paying a dime.
ag009
AG
I have Medishare (a faith based medical sharing plan). I am usually raked over the coals for medical care and have to fight for providers to do right thing. I usually win, but it takes months. I took my struggling to breathe 2 year old to Caprock last year and they were phenomenal. Yes, I could have gone to a hospital ER but I also had my 8 month old with me (husband and all family out of town) so I needed the next level "comfort".

I was expecting a looong fight over the bill. I only paid my ER copay of $150 and then Medishare covered the rest since we had met our deductible. Caprock did not try to balance bill me or anything. So I am a fan!
bcstx06
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but CapRock is opening an argentcare in University where the other 24hr emergency room went out of business.

Also, I don't know if it's been mentioned, but CapRock will sound be a household name company nationwide based right here. They already have several hospitals under construction in two other states.

http://caprockhealthsystem.com/locations/
JMac03
AG
txcajun said:

JMac03 said:

MisterShipWreck said:

I received a letter from my BCBS policy a while back - stating that they will not cover freestanding ER visits
This is very interesting. I've had 2 visits to Caprock and haven't had issues and have BCBS. Granted I have never had to pay a dime out of my own pocket to CR (after my insurance paid, KidsKlub insurance picked up the rest of it). If they would have billed me for my last visit I would have seen a bill but they just cleaned up my wound and sent me on my way.
I have BCBS and my wife has United Healthcare, both really good PPO plans. I received a bill about a month after my visit. I recommend you call and check, don't wait for them to send you a bill. I find it hard to believe you got in and out without paying a dime.
Nope, they flat out told me they weren't going to bill me.

While I know they are more expensive than others, I also think they do a lot of good for our community by giving back (sponsoring races, drives, etc.).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.