CSISD proposed boundary adjustments [Second Staff Warning on OP]

101,316 Views | 858 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Oogway
ags4rocks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What are your thoughts on the proposed boundary adjustments?

[Posters will be respectful on this forum. That means no name calling or use of derogatory terms when posting opinions. We have had to edit several posts on this board and will not edit another without giving the poster a ban. We decide what is disrespectful and we are going to be strict on this thread. There is the warning for everyone. -Staff]

[9:30 p.m. Wednesday, April 4]

[We are not going to allow good school vs bad school statements on this thread. That will be a one week ban. There is the warning. -Staff]

[3:00 p.m. Tuesday, April 10]
Captn_Ag05
AG

Tailgate88
AG
Page one.

A link would be helpful?
Stupe
S
How tough is it to do this?

Not real difficult to post a link
Stupe
S
My thoughts are that they still care more about how the demographics look than they do about what is best for the students.
91_Aggie
AG
they better not implement #3.

My kids are less than a mile from CSHS and it would pull my middle kid from CSHS to AMCMS in her Senior year.
and my youngest to AMCMS right after her freshman year.

But my fear is that since the neighborhood most affected is not on the higher end of the tax rolls, then that is what will happen.
Stupe
S
Are they not going to allow kids already at schools the choice to grandfather in?

Stupe
S
Scenario 3.
Taking kids on Barron Road that could ride their bikes to and from school in less than five minutes and moving them to a high school that may require them to ride a bus.

Wow.
Oogway
I hear that a lot (they can just walk...but a lot of students for a variety of reasons don't) but tbh most of the students that walk/ride bikes come from the neighborhood directly east of Victoria across from the school or north of Barron. I do see a few walk up Barron from the east, but with some of the crazy drivers I can't say I blame them if they grab a ride from Mom and Dad.

The question I have re scenario #3 is that bit just off Arrington (west side) and north of Indian Lakes/Nantucket. Wasn't that supposed to be a multifamily development going in that parcel? If so, it seems a little wacky to trade one set of apts (northside) with one set (southside). Granted, it may not be built yet, but if you are trying to combine growth models w/SES then that seems going a little too far just for balance.
TAMU1990
AG
Stupe said:

Scenario 3.
Taking kids on Barron Road that could ride their bikes to and from school in less than five minutes and moving them to a high school that may require them to ride a bus.

Wow.

I agree with you. Both 2A/2B do the same. Option 3 is no good because it relies heavily on future development of margraves.
Stupe
S
The best option is the one that doesn't exist.

Get rid of the yellow island around Krenek Tap and the sliver north of 2818. Having those kids drive past Consolidated is stupid.
AFM
Scenario 1 work for me, but I suppose the ISD already has a preferred one to implement.
DFWag84
I like #1 also
Rexter
My kid will be able to walk to CSHS since we are 1/2 mile away, but #3 will put him at Consol. That's probably the worst boundary plan I've ever seen.
jac4
AG
AFM said:

Scenario 1 work for me, but I suppose the ISD already has a preferred one to implement.

Agree. They've made up they're minds already. We'll revisit rezoning in 2-3 years again.
birdman
Standard stuff. They have one scenario they like. They have 3 other scenarios as decoys.
honky60
AG
Call the board members and let them know how you feel, after all they are elected by you, & should listen to the people.
CS78
What a cluster! I guess this way, the population can't organize against any one plan. They'll get a small amount of objections to each plan and then just pick the one they were already set on. Dog and pony show!
BigBubba
AG
AFM said:

I agree. I was under the impression that these scenarios are ranked by preference. Those rankings would have been done by the staff that put the options together and the board may have other thoughts.
BigBubba
AG
Stupe said:

Are they not going to allow kids already at schools the choice to grandfather in?
While this is not set in stone yet, the board said at a previous meeting that no kids currently in high school would have to move. They would all be grandfathered. In addition, they would allow any current 8th graders to switch to their new school a year early. The rezoning would officially happen in the 19/20 school year but 8th graders could switch this fall to their new school to keep from having to switch before their sophomore year.
Oogway
W/respect to the grandfathering, all I can remember from when this was first discussed was that they were looking at implementing it beginning in 2019/2020. So maybe they are going to start with that class year that will be freshmen? I haven't looked at the data tables yet, just the maps and options.
Edit-nvm, BigBubba has the info.
BigBubba
AG
Option 2a seems the worse to me. It would have kids less than 1/2 mile switched from CSHS to AMCHS. That is pretty extreme to me. Options 2b and 3 also are moving kids around a mile away to AMCHS but they are not as bad as 2a.

I don't have much sympathy for people down Wellborn that would get moved. The drive from SaddleCreek to AMCHS is 60 mph all down Wellborn and they have to go through only one light. The drive from Pebble Creek to AMCHS is worse than SaddleCreek to AMCHS.
Oogway
One light? Rock Prairie, the new HEB light, Wellborn & 2818, then 2818 & Welsh. Probably wouldn't add much time, but more than one light....
BigBubba
AG
Please remember this is the very first steps in the process. The staff put these 4 options together based on the goals given to them by the board. The board may reject all of these and come up with something completely different. None of the board members have actually expressed any public opinions on these options yet.

Here is link to follow for all updates regarding the rezoning.
https://www.csisd.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=1128215&type=d&pREC_ID=1398925

If you have concerns, now is the time to be sharing them with the board. The first public forum is this Monday, April 2nd. They are also soliciting feedback by email. Email address is at the end of this presentation. Link
jac4
AG
BigBubba said:

Option 2a seems the worse to me. It would have kids less than 1/2 mile switched from CSHS to AMCHS. That is pretty extreme to me. Options 2b and 3 also are moving kids around a mile away to AMCHS but they are not as bad as 2a.

I don't have much sympathy for people down Wellborn that would get moved. The drive from SaddleCreek to AMCHS is 60 mph all down Wellborn and they have to go through only one light. The drive from Pebble Creek to AMCHS is worse than SaddleCreek to AMCHS.

I'd be ok with a plan that sends Saddle Creek and Duck Haven to Consol if Indian Lakes went also.

And whoever said one light at RP has never made that drive at school drop off time and probably hasn't driven Welborn at all in the past few months.
BigBubba
AG
I believe the real mistake in all the High School rezoning was made during the last rezoning. They were not aggressive enough in moving kids from CSHS to AMCHS. They chose the minimal option trying to appease everybody and they hoped it would work, but it didn't, so here we are rezoning 3 years later.

Whatever option they chose, I hope their rezoning choice will last until the 3rd high school is needed. I absolutely don't want to face another high school rezoning in 3 years because there are still too many kids zoned to CSHS or because the demographics are way off balance. One of the board members made a comment to this point in the last meeting.
Oogway
Actually I have, but I admit that if you don't catch the lights right then it does add time, especially the one at Rock Prairie; the one at HEB will be operational by fall I believe but I don't know what that light cycle will be like.
BigBubba
AG
Oogway said:

One light? Rock Prairie, the new HEB light, Wellborn & 2818, then 2818 & Welsh. Probably wouldn't add much time, but more than one light....
Quote:

I'd be ok with a plan that sends Saddle Creek and Duck Haven to Consol if Indian Lakes went also.

And whoever said one light at RP has never made that drive at school drop off time and probably hasn't driven Welborn at all in the past few months.
OK, I agree, my light count wasn't exactly correct. There is a red light at 2818/Wellborn when going from the school. I also didn't count the light in front of the school and yeah there will probably be a light for HEB. Let's not sidetrack the discussion, my point was that Wellborn is still a smooth drive compared to other options.

I pickup my daughter at AMCHS everyday around 5:15. I leave the Pebble Creek area at 5:00, drive down WDF to Wellborn to 2818. It is smooth sailing once I hit Wellborn. I rarely have to stop at the Rock Prairie light and there is no light when turning right onto 2818. I also come home that way after picking her up. I prefer taking WDF to Wellborn instead of Highway 6 to 2818 because Wellborn is a more consistent and faster option.
AgResearch
AG
Whichever one produces the best football teams will be the one they pick. HTH.
Stupe
S
Athletics have nothing to do with it.

The main focus of the committees and the board is the economic demographic makeup of the schools and making sure that everything is equal on a spreadsheet.

Everything else is secondary.
AggieMom_38
CS78 nailed it! This was a BRILLIANT approach by the board/administrators. Various options that are all over the place, get each neighborhood upset and throwing each other under the bus, then say we can't make you all happy "this is so difficult", and then implement what we planned to do anyway. And let's all do this over the holiday weekend (and hold the ONE forum when it's a student holiday so parents are out of town).

The board has been targeting Indian Lakes/Nantucket, so I would guess that's what will happen. They don't have the numbers - but the board is assuming all the current IL high schoolers will switch to Consol (yah right!) So, we will probably rezone again next year and take Dove Crossing, etc then..

What a mess - the transportation costs alone of driving Southeast kids across to Consol (and the separation from the other schools they are zoned for, how can parents/buses do that?). I'd actually like to see the transportation costs of each option - is the board releasing that? Fun times! Why we keep electing these same people is beyond me.
Stupe
S
I'm voting against each of them when their respective term is up. The last time they did this they had their minds made up, had dog and pony show hearings, then put in their plan.

And I agree with AggieMom_38. They specifically chose a big holiday weekend where the kids are out of school for four days to make the announcement and hold the first hearing.

Expert Analysis
AG
Is the school board solely responsible for this decision? This is basically a volunteer position, so I appreciate their efforts, but their last plan was outdated before it was enacted. Predicting where the city is going to see significant growth over the next 5 years is not difficult, and they couldnt get it remotely correct over 2 years with this last plan.

Instead of wasting money rebranding schools they could have been working on expanding CSHS. We dont need a 3rd school and repitition of overpaid positions and facilities.
AggieMom_38
Sounds like Map 1 is what current Consol parents are going to be pushing for. My neighbors/friends are talking about all the community affluence and PTO leadership that it brings to Consol - talking about it as a super-school that option creates.
gb2074
AG
You are saying option 1 creates a super school? I guess I can see that since it will have all of the affluent neighborhoods.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.