ISS flyover tonight

15,872 Views | 80 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by labmansid
labmansid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tonight, 3/23/18, the International Space Station will make a very bright pass almost directly overhead for the B/CS area. It will first become visible in the SW sky around 8:40PM, appear close to directly overhead at 8:45PM, before disappearing to the NE shortly after 8:47PM.Hopefully clouds will not interfere.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I initially read this as ISIS flyover tonight. That would have been a little more alarming.
labmansid
Captn_Ag05 said:

I initially read this as ISIS flyover tonight. That would have been a little more alarming.
Yeah, that would be a bit alarming. I'm also not sure we would have that much warning in that case.
curry97
AG
Thanks for the info. We are camping at our farm in Falls County waiting to see it. Clouds finally cleared here.
CS78
Light cloud cover over south CS. Nothing but the moon. Thanks for posting.
MosesHallRAB83
AG
Was able to see it here in west Bryan despite a thin cloud cover.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Not for us in South cs. We saw it. It was directly overhead when we first saw it. Light cloud cover interfered a little for us but still saw it. Thanks, op!
GottaRide
S
Thanks, OP! That was awesome!
Buford T. Justice
AG
Did it look like a really fast moving airplane?
If so, I saw it.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
labmansid
Buford T. Justice said:

Did it look like a really fast moving airplane?
If so, I saw it.
It does resemble an airplane flying over, but with a steady single light, no blinking or dual lights like most planes.

I stepped outside of work for a couple of minutes, but between the slight cloud cover and all the lights from town, all I could make out was the rather fuzzy moon. Glad some of you got to see it.
Tailgate88
AG
It looks like a very fast moving aircraft, bright white and not blinking. And completely silent. Our Troop was able to view it in their campout this evening.
Murphag
It was cool when the space shuttle was flying. If they were about to dock or had just undocked, both of them were visible just a short distance away from each other. Got to see that a couple of times.
KidDoc
AG
Tonight's fly over was AMAZINGLY bright the best I had ever seen. I signed up for the emails but forgot to post a reminder here. Was at 9:05 basically went right down Hwy 6 from North to South.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MosesHallRAB83
AG
Gee, thanks for the heads up . . .
dubi
AG
Time: Fri Apr 13 8:11 PM, Visible: 6 min, Max Height: 42, Appears: 11 above NNW, Disappears: 10 above ESE

How to sign up for "spot the station" alerts!
labmansid
Got a couple more opportunities coming up tomorrow, 5/22.

Kind of late notice for the first, but here it is. Starts around 5:29AM in the NW, and ends in the SE at 5:39AM. Maximum brightness of -4.2magnitude at 5:34, so pretty darn bright.

Next pass starts at 20:28 in the SW, and ends at 20:38 in the NE. Maximum brightness of -4.0magnitude at 20:33, so again a nice bright pass.

Weather permitting, as always.
ag-bq-seventy
AG
labmansid said:

Got a couple more opportunities coming up tomorrow, 5/22.

Kind of late notice for the first, but here it is. Starts around 5:29AM in the NW, and ends in the SE at 5:39AM. Maximum brightness of -4.2magnitude at 5:34, so pretty darn bright.

Next pass starts at 20:28 in the SW, and ends at 20:38 in the NE. Maximum brightness of -4.0magnitude at 20:33, so again a nice bright pass.

Weather permitting, as always.
So, if there's bad weather, where does the ISS go?
dubi
AG
Time: Fri Jun 08 9:54 PM, Visible: 3 min, Max Height: 43, Appears: 19 above NNW, Disappears: 36 above E
TSJ
AG
Took my 5 month-old out to watch, thanks!
cubbies25
AG
Thanks dubi...always fun to get out to watch it. Great viewing tonight.
dubi
AG
ime: Sun Jun 10 9:46 PM, Visible: 3 min, Max Height: 54, Appears: 27 above WNW, Disappears: 31 above SSE
Three Twenties and A Ten
AG
Some great viewing this weekend...especially Friday nt!

Did anyone else see the article on the (3) new astronauts that boarded it Friday morning? Was cool to see it Friday nt and think about their first "night in space"! Pretty amazing feat of mankind when you think about all of it.
Aggie1944s Kid
AG
Taught the current commander how to fly. Great guy
dubi
AG
Time: Mon Jun 11 8:54 PM, Visible: 4 min, Max Height: 59, Appears: 30 above NNW, Disappears: 11 above SE
dubi
AG
Time: Sat Jul 21 5:24 AM, Visible: 6 min, Max Height: 84, Appears: 11 above NW, Disappears: 10 above SE
dubi
AG
Time: Thu Aug 09 9:45 PM, Visible: 2 min, Max Height: 72, Appears: 29 above NW, Disappears: 69 above SSW
JimInBCS
dubi said:

Time: Thu Aug 09 9:45 PM, Visible: 2 min, Max Height: 72, Appears: 29 above NW, Disappears: 69 above SSW

Quick question...why is there not a correlation between the max height and the length of time it is visible? Seems like the higher in the sky, the longer the visible trajectory should be...yet at 72 degrees only visible 2 minutes. Is it due to the sun dropping below the ISS's horizon?

Also, what is the greatest component in regards to how bright the ISS appears?
dubi
AG
JimInBCS said:

dubi said:

Quick question...why is there not a correlation between the max height and the length of time it is visible? Seems like the higher in the sky, the longer the visible trajectory should be...yet at 72 degrees only visible 2 minutes. Is it due to the sun dropping below the ISS's horizon?

Also, what is the greatest component in regards to how bright the ISS appears?

I have no idea. Someone with much more knowledge will need to answer.
02skiag
AG
I assume it has to do with there only being a small timeframe where it gets sunlight before the earth blocks it out.
JimInBCS
Thanks anyway...appreciate you posting the reminders.
BaitShack
AG
Pretty good pass in spite of the clouds.
JimInBCS
dubi said:

Was as bright tonight as I've ever seen it, even with the light haze.
dubi
AG
Time: Fri Aug 10 8:52 PM, Visible: 5 min, Max Height: 46, Appears: 16 above NNW, Disappears: 16 above ESE
BaitShack
AG
Tonight's pass. It should be pretty bright. -3.3 magnitude

BaitShack
AG
This is the site that I use. Are yall's any better?

https://heavens-above.com/?lat=30.628&lng=-96.3344&loc=College+Station&alt=104&tz=CST

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.