Spring B/CS Household Hazardous Waste Event - 4/28/18

3,222 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by meezermom
rc_cat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
event info

I usually end up missing it, so I wanted to get it on my calendar - thought others might want the info with a little lead time, as well.

snaglepuss
Same here, thanks for the post.
Tailgate88
AG
Thanks!
Goat Man
AG
Thanks for posting. I always miss and need to make it this year.
techno-ag
FlyRod
Prune Tracy
snaglepuss
You can keep your container, just make sure to tell them you want to keep it.
oklaunion
Last year I was not allowed to keep any containers containing oil despite my request.
snaglepuss
rc_cat said:

I'm reposting to help remind myself... Next Saturday.

event info

I usually end up missing it, so I wanted to get it on my calendar - thought others might want the info with a little lead time, as well.

atm86
AG
bump
rc_cat
So, as my luck goes, I have to be out of town on the day of the event. Is there any other option for getting rid of hazardous waste or do I just pile it in a corner of the garage until the fall event?
RecycleCSTX
Email me what you need to dispose of, my email is in my profile!

HW
CEAg78
AG
I think some things (used oil, medications) can be disposed of at the city police dept. complex.
UmustBKidding
No more oil at police department, only at the landfill
rc_cat
RecycleCSTX said:

Email me what you need to dispose of, my email is in my profile!

HW
Ok, I'm probably a blind idiot, but since they've changed the profile format, I don't see email addresses anymore. Is there some magic button I'm missing?
RecycleCSTX
No worries! Hwoolwine @ cstx.gov
MeKnowNot
Got my old paint ready for this weekend. I wonder what the strangest thing is that they have collected?
csag91
AG
This is my first time to be in town during this event. What is the best time to go to avoid long lines?
BCSWguru
even with a line, it takes 5-10 minutes tops.
bionat80
how are the computers disposed of? should hard drives be removed?
91_Aggie
AG
bionat80 said:

how are the computers disposed of? should hard drives be removed?
You should definitely remove hard drives, take them apart and smash the platters, then take that to the location.
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
Today!
Tailgate88
AG
LSCSN said:

When I read this earlier I nodded in agreement. However I've been sitting in line for 20 minutes. It is backed up to the bypass right now! Never seen it like this before. I guess that's what I get for not coming early.
hurleyag
AG
LSCSN said:

This is beyond wrong. Been sitting in the line for an hour so far. Still expecting at least 30 minutes more.
Expert Analysis
AG
I have been in line 20 minutes. My wait started right where the entry is off harvey, i came from the east.
I am still not up to the big lot yet....
I have come at various times in the past and never had much of a wait. If they cannot make the HHW dropoff efficient enough, people are just going to throw their stuff in the trash....
aggietoolman
AG
Looks like everyone waited until late to drop off. At 9:45 I drove right up to the lot where the lines split. Took about 10 min.
Expert Analysis
AG
45 minutes or so after turning off harvey.... never had to wait more than 10 minutes in the past. Maybe i never came so late.... I feel bad for the people waiting in line on harvey coming from 6
Tailgate88
AG
Just left. I was in line for 1:10. Next time will shoot for 9-10. The workers said is was packed early but eased off a little mid-morning.
RecycleCSTX
Very sorry all! I completely understand any frustration. The Spring Is historically our heaviest attended event. It's highly recommended to come before 11. With that being said, this has been our heaviest attended event to date.

Your comments and suggestions are always welcome, my email is above!

HW
lost my dog
One thing that might help the wait would be to exclude patrons who are obviously not "household". The person in front of me had a pickup bed filled to overflowing with material including 6 computers, industrial batteries, and about a dozen 5 gallon paint cans. It looked to be the waste from a entire small apartment complex or office park. Since that sort of site generates (at least) a truck-bed's worth of material, perhaps that could be picked up at the site of generation, rather than going through the line with households who have much less stuff and can get in and out faster.

(Plus, none of that load was packed per the instructions of the web site, so the workers had to spend a lot of time digging around in the bed. Even so, at the end of the line when the electronics which had been buried by the paint cans were revealed, they still couldn't empty the truck.)
AgGunNut
AG
My humble suggestion is traffic control at the entrance that does more than sit with red/blue lights on talking to an employee/volunteer at the entrance.

I understand heavy demand/long lines, but a line backed up to the bypass mixed with people not in line just trying to drive through, combined with people turning around in on-coming traffic is flat-out dangerous. Those trying to just drive down 30 ended up in the line and didn't know any better due to the blind corner. My first thought was that there was a wreck or something causing the congestion. Then, when I got closer, I realized the officer was just standing there with lights on. He could have done a better job of managing the traffic further back and ensuring that people could keep moving down 30 that were not in line.
turfman80
AG
Got there right before noon. It took me 50 minutes to get out. I can't see anyway to speed things up with the number of people that were arriving. I will just know to come earlier like I did a few years ago. Good job on providing a very useful service to the community.
techno-ag
AG
RecycleCSTX said:

Very sorry all! I completely understand any frustration. The Spring Is historically our heaviest attended event. It's highly recommended to come before 11. With that being said, this has been our heaviest attended event to date.

Your comments and suggestions are always welcome, my email is above!

HW
Maybe there should be two in the spring.
BCSWguru
i like it when I'm right
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.