Suddenlink 1 gig service

4,141 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jrhmc
basketaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you have 1G service, would you mind telling me what your speed is on average? For ethernet connections and various wifi?

Thanks!
SARATOGA
I'm not a math major, but shouldn't the answer be 1 Gig ?

Do you sell someone a size 10 shoe and then only give them a size 8 ?

A recent study shows the internet infrastructure of the USA to be ranked 26th in the world for speed and efficiency.

Make America Great Again my tookus.

Stupe
S
He probably isn't getting 1G and is wanting to see if others are having the same problem.

Evidently you aren't a logic major, either.
gibby03
AG
I will measure it when I get home but I don't normally get 1 gig I know that. I only have it because I bought it up when they were offering it at the same price as the next speed down.
basketaggie
AG
Exactly what Stupe said, we've never even gotten close to 1G. The highest ever is close to 700 on the ethernet connection (but most commonly around 600-650 directly wired to the modem). Our wifi points are different around the house- but around 250 the highest, and some as low as 55. I purchased the google wifi mesh system hoping to catch up some of those dropped areas, but no change. Suddenlink is coming out and so I wanted some comparison. If others are getting above 700, I'd like to know. I've had the service since they launched it here, but have never seen an improvement.
Post removed:
by user
LastHamlet
AG
Stupe said:

He probably isn't getting 1G and is wanting to see if others are having the same problem.

Evidently you aren't a logic major, either.
BOOM!
JP76
I pay for 100 and get 80-110 over wifi. Never checked wired speed.

What router are you using?

I've seen great results with this system

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B072ZN4PSB/ref=mp_s_a_1_1/145-0001666-9224246?ie=UTF8&qid=1521565291&sr=8-1-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=Netgear+Orbi&psc=1

basketaggie
AG
We used a Netgear before : https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Smart-Router-Gigabit-Amazon/dp/B00Z0V2NQ8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1521566244&sr=8-4&keywords=netgear+ac1750&dpID=41ZPwfHfvyL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I purchased the google mesh because several other friends had good luck with the dead spots, and it actually did improve a few areas of our house.

This is the modem we have:
https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6190-DOCSIS-Cable/dp/B016PE1X5K/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1521566244&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=netgear+ac1750&psc=1
AggiePlaya
AG
SARATOGA said:

I'm not a math major, but shouldn't the answer be 1 Gig ?

Do you sell someone a size 10 shoe and then only give them a size 8 ?

Do u even internet bruh?
bobinator
AG
We pay for the 1 gig (same deal on it being the same price) and I've gotten 800 or so on ethernet.

Wifi tends to hover around 200-300, occasionally it drops below 100 but rarely. (I sometimes randomly check when I'm sitting around.) We have one router in the middle of the house.

basketaggie
AG
Thanks Bobinator, that's helpful..
They told me to expect speeds of 600-800. Since I called on Saturday I've been getting 700-900 wired but the highest wifi has gone is 230. Most of the time it's around 100ish.
JP76
basketaggie said:

Thanks Bobinator, that's helpful..
They told me to expect speeds of 600-800. Since I called on Saturday I've been getting 700-900 wired but the highest wifi has gone is 230. Most of the time it's around 100ish.

When the wifi is 100 Ish, what is your wired testing showing ?
momtaxi
We pay for 400 and get 410-412 over WiFi all the time. If you look on there website at the disclaimer it says speeds "up to" 1 gig. Usually means your not going to get '1 gig all the time. Just close to it and thats with a wired connection not WiFi. They don't guarantee WiFi speeds
basketaggie
AG
JP76

Yesterday I was getting 135 in the other room on my MacBook Pro next to the 2nd google disc/puck and 930 on my iMac hardwired to the google disk at the same time.

The google disc mesh system did speed it up, I would have gotten around 80-100 in that room before, but I'm not sure if an increase of 30 is worth the price difference. We tried wifi extenders with the Netgear router but had no luck.
mom taxi,
yes, they don't guarantee 1 gig, and I get that. But before I was only getting around 500-700, when I should have had speeds higher than that. They obviously did something after I called because I had never gotten speeds in the 900 range before.

AggieBarstool
What I haven't seen mentioned yet is that in order to actually take advantage of 1Gbps download speed, your router has to be a DOCSIS 3.0 (or 3.1) compliant device that has 32 downstream channels. If your router doesn't meet this criteria, you're not getting 1Gbps to the desktop, period.

If you're looking to upgrade, I recommend you purchase your own modem and have Suddenlink provision it vs. paying a rental fee for one of Suddenlink's. It'll pay for itself in less than a year.
basketaggie
AG
Aggie Barstool - I've never used Suddenlink's equipment. The modem we got when the Gig service came was one of the best out there (of course it's been probably 1-2 years, so new ones are out there). It has 32 Download and 8 Upload Bonded Channels capable of up to 1.4 Gbps download and 262 upload speeds. Recommended for Internet Plans 250 Mbps and above. Edited to add it is 3.0

As for the google discs,

The previous router:
  • AC1750 WiFi 450+1300 Mbps speeds
Koko Chingo
AG
AggieBarstool said:

What I haven't seen mentioned yet is that in order to actually take advantage of 1Gbps download speed, your router has to be a DOCSIS 3.0 (or 3.1) compliant device that has 32 downstream channels. If your router doesn't meet this criteria, you're not getting 1Gbps to the desktop, period.

If you're looking to upgrade, I recommend you purchase your own modem and have Suddenlink provision it vs. paying a rental fee for one of Suddenlink's. It'll pay for itself in less than a year.

Two things I have seen:

1. Many people have older modems/routers that cannot support a 1Gbps download speed. They upgrade thier plan from 50MBps to 1Gbps and are happy because they have faster internet. They are not running at full capacity because their modem or router is a choke point.

2. Bad cables & connectors. If you have an older home of was a previous rental their may be multiple splitters and cable run who knows where. Check for corrosion on connections and the housings of anywhere they plug in. Cheaper cable has an un-tinned shield, you may have to cut a few inches back to get past the corrosion and crimp in a new connector. And if your splitter is 25+ years old, it wouldn't hurt to get a new one made for high speed internet & cable tv.
basketaggie
AG
My modem and router were both purchased to support the 1 Gig service. My house is 10 years old, we are the only owners.
gibby03
AG
I'm convinced Suddenlink sucks and doesn't care if they give you what you pay for. Duh, I know.
jrhmc
AG
The other thing you need to have Suddenlink check for is a splitter or filter at the hub outside your house. We were consistently getting slower-than-we-pay-for speed and that's what it turned out to be when the guy came out. Since it was their fault, we didn't pay for the service call.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.