Suggestion for leaking sliding glass door - who to repair?

1,130 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MisterShipWreck
MisterShipWreck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
In the heavy rain today, I found water leaking from the top of my sliding glass door - in my condo.

First, I have to find out if the HOA or I am responsible for it. But, I noticed that part of the door has rust on the inside, so it may have leaked a while.

If I am responsible, anyone know of someone qualified to maybe pull out the sliding door, and either reinstall or replace?

It appears that there was not anything between the siding and the top of the door.
JP76
Siding on that wall ?
Was it replaced recently ?

Can you post a picture ?
MisterShipWreck
JP76 said:

Siding on that wall ?

Can you post a picture ?
No, it was not replaced recently. I have owned the place about a year and a half.

It's dark right now, so I cannot take a pic.

But yes - vinyl siding on the outside. There is a small gap between top edge of door and the siding above it. You can put your hand above door and push the siding inwards. So, if it rains hard and gets past the 2nd floor ease, it rains down into the top of the sliding glass door on the 1st floor.

I just wonder if anything around the door is rotted. It may have done this a while. Inside at the top edge, I see a little rust.

Today, it was literally pouring into the inside from 1 spot inside of the sliding glass door.

While the HOA is in charge of the outside of the building, I do not know if they will cover a door.
JP76
MisterShipWreck said:

JP76 said:

Siding on that wall ?

Can you post a picture ?
No, it was not replaced recently. I have owned the place about a year and a half.

It's dark right now, so I cannot take a pic.

But yes - vinyl siding on the outside. There is a small gap between top edge of door and the siding above it. You can put your hand above door and push the siding inwards. So, if it rains hard and gets past the 2nd floor ease, it rains down into the top of the sliding glass door on the 1st floor.

I just wonder if anything around the door is rotted. It may have done this a while. Inside at the top edge, I see a little rust.

Today, it was literally pouring into the inside from 1 spot inside of the sliding glass door.

While the HOA is in charge of the outside of the building, I do not know if they will cover a door.

Run it by the hoa first. If it's vinyl siding the moisture proofing underneath may have been done incorrectly. What's is above the door ? A few feet of vinyl siding ? A porch roof ? Also if the top j channel was not done correctly it can leak through the corners of the trim.
MisterShipWreck
JP76 said:

Run it by the hoa first. If it's vinyl siding the moisture proofing underneath may have been done incorrectly. What's is above the door ? A few feet of vinyl siding ? A porch roof ? Also if the top j channel was not done correctly it can leak through the corners of the trim.

There is a huge wall above of just siding. At least 15 feet. The over hang is way up on the 2nd floor. So, with a little wind, most of that entire back wall will have water on it.

if I put my hand up above the door - you basically can feel into the top edge of the metal frame of the glass door. So, with enough wind, rain is coming directly into the top frame of the door. Most of it probably rolls down and travels down the inner sides. But, for some reason today, it was coming down into the side that does not open - from the frame.

I just worry if the wood is rotted that surrounds the door. If it's simply a matter of closing up the gap above the door, or if I need to have the door pulled out and see if there is any mold or rotten wood.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.