New ownership for the Marc

3,885 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by DontBeTriggered
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hopefully they can clean it up and stop it from being a hotbed for criminal activity.

https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/news/newstalk-texas/?Item=19382

Quote:

The Marc, a 478-unit value-add multifamily community, has been sold, according to CBRE.

Located near Texas A&M University, the apartment community was built in 1969 and 1977 and offers one-, two- and four-bedroom units.

----

"With former ownership operating The Marc as a by-the-bed student housing property, new ownership has the opportunity to lease by-the-unit year-round to capture young professionals and students," said CBRE National Student Housing's Jaclyn Fitts,
I don't see the property being appealing to young professionals.
Buford T. Justice
AG
They'd be better off simply bulldozing that place, and starting over. If money grew on trees, it would be fascinating to see what could be done if Sundance was razed as well. I could see that area being completely revitalized from a retail perspective.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
Captn_Ag05
AG
Buford T. Justice said:

They'd be better off simply bulldozing that place, and starting over. If money grew on trees, it would be fascinating to see what could be done if Sundance was razed as well. I could see that area being completely revitalized from a retail perspective.
Might as well go all the way down to Briarhood. Several run down apartments on Harvey. I could see that area being attractive to young professionals and young families if the area was rebuilt.
PS3D
I know they combined two apartment complexes to build it, but it looks like maybe three based on building styles and layouts.

Here's how they can get the apartment complex to work--tear out all the apartments facing Harvey Road, and convert that to commercial retail space. Put a flagship Circle K at the corner to replace the Corner Store (which would be converted to Circle K anyway) and rebuild the whole strip (except maybe the credit union) for more restaurant use. In the remaining units, start evicting residents and remodeling/rebuilding buildings, including a cohesive structural theme.
KidDoc
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Buford T. Justice said:

Might as well go all the way down to Briarhood. Several run down apartments on Harvey. I could see that area being attractive to young professionals and young families if the area was rebuilt.
I was a Briarwood resident when I met my wife. We have now been married 24 years and it was a dump back then. I agree it would be best to doze down a bunch of Harvey and start over.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PS3D
KidDoc said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Buford T. Justice said:

I was a Briarwood resident when I met my wife. We have now been married 24 years and it was a dump back then. I agree it would be best to doze down a bunch of Harvey and start over.
Wasn't always a dump.

Captn_Ag05
AG
What year was that from?

Is she single?
Counterpoint
AG
PS3D said:

KidDoc said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Buford T. Justice said:

Wasn't always a dump.

Briarwood had a nightclub?
PS3D
Counterpoint said:

PS3D said:

KidDoc said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Buford T. Justice said:

Wasn't always a dump.

Back in the late 1970s and early 1980s (pre oil bust) a lot of the new apartments (in Houston, but a few here) oriented toward single adults had some sort of nightclub or restaurant on the premises. Briarwood had Zacharias Greenhouse and Doux Chene had one (Mansard House, later Studio 2818 and a few others) but think that was it as far as College Station went. Pretty much all of these apartments are dumps today (or worse) with these now closed.
Counterpoint
AG
PS3D said:

Counterpoint said:

PS3D said:

KidDoc said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Buford T. Justice said:

Wasn't always a dump.

Back in the late 1970s and early 1980s (pre oil bust) a lot of the new apartments (in Houston, but a few here) oriented toward single adults had some sort of nightclub or restaurant on the premises. Briarwood had Zacharias Greenhouse and Doux Chene had one (Mansard House, later Studio 2818 and a few others) but think that was it as far as College Station went. Pretty much all of these apartments are dumps today (or worse) with these now closed.
That's fascinating! Thanks for the info. Are the buildings those clubs were in still there on the apartment complex grounds? Did they turn them into fitness centers or computer labs or something?
The Original AG 76
AG
Counterpoint said:

PS3D said:

KidDoc said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Buford T. Justice said:

Wasn't always a dump.

Briarwood was part of Plantation Oaks and it was the "premiere" off campus locale. In the mid 70's someone bought about half of Plantation Oaks, slapped a coat of paint on the buildings, new carpet and signs and called the " newly remodeled and luxurious " complex Briarwood. Lived in them both. We had a party room called the Blue Room in which billions and billions of once thriving brain cells met their untimely demise.... The so-called nightclubs came about in the late 70's modeled after the successful apartment based clubs located in the Westhimer area mega complexes . Never really caught on like they did in Houston but was handy to stumble back home from and not have to run the CS police obstacle course whilst blind drunk.....
mason12
AG
PS3D said:

I know they combined two apartment complexes to build it, but it looks like maybe three based on building styles and layouts.

Here's how they can get the apartment complex to work--tear out all the apartments facing Harvey Road, and convert that to commercial retail space. Put a flagship Circle K at the corner to replace the Corner Store (which would be converted to Circle K anyway) and rebuild the whole strip (except maybe the credit union) for more restaurant use. In the remaining units, start evicting residents and remodeling/rebuilding buildings, including a cohesive structural theme.
It's three. 401 Harvey, 505 Harvey, and 600 University Oaks.
mason12
AG
401 Harvey ownership on Brazos CAD

mason12
AG
505 Harvey Road

mason12
AG
600 University Oaks Blvd

waterchick
Thanks for the screenshots mason12.

I've noticed LOTS of activity at The Marc and the other apartments on Harvey as well. Briarwood/Planatation Oaks is now called Castle Rock Apartments and has signs out announcing they're pet-friendly with immediate move-in available.
PS3D
Did only one change names, or did they recombine?
Counterpoint
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

Counterpoint said:

PS3D said:

KidDoc said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Buford T. Justice said:

Wasn't always a dump.

Briarwood was part of Plantation Oaks and it was the "premiere" off campus locale. In the mid 70's someone bought about half of Plantation Oaks, slapped a coat of paint on the buildings, new carpet and signs and called the " newly remodeled and luxurious " complex Briarwood. Lived in them both. We had a party room called the Blue Room in which billions and billions of once thriving brain cells met their untimely demise.... The so-called nightclubs came about in the late 70's modeled after the successful apartment based clubs located in the Westhimer area mega complexes . Never really caught on like they did in Houston but was handy to stumble back home from and not have to run the CS police obstacle course whilst blind drunk.....
I lived at P-Oaks long ago. Was the night club in the second story of the building by the pool?
one MEEN Ag
AG
PS3D said:

KidDoc said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Buford T. Justice said:

Wasn't always a dump.

Tom Selleck and his girlfriend never lived there. False advertising.
PS3D
Counterpoint said:

The Original AG 76 said:

Counterpoint said:

PS3D said:

KidDoc said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Buford T. Justice said:

Wasn't always a dump.

I lived at P-Oaks long ago. Was the night club in the second story of the building by the pool?

I sure don't know but Zacharias Green House had the address of Briarwood, not Plantation Oaks. Presumably because it was on the Briarwood "side" it became part of Briarwood. They shared addresses with the 1980s phone book I had, which was after the split, and from the post above Zacharias was built with Briarwood, or at least was renovated as such.
waterchick
Both buildings - the one closest to Highway 6 as well as the one next to The Guitar Center - have been renamed to Castle Rock Apartments.
EMY92
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

What year was that from?

Is she single?
That's your grandmother, 05.
DontBeTriggered
The need to tear it down and build a bigger and nicer complex.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.