Drive to Houston

2,562 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by techno-ag
runnrboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, I have to drive to the George R Brown Convention Center in Houston next Wednesday morning (14th) and need to be there by 9am. What would be the best route? I'm guessing there is no really good way on a weekday morning. I will be leaving from Bryan.
carpe vinum
AG
edit: sorry, I thought you said tomorrow.
OnlyForNow
AG
6 - 290 - 105 - 45 - GRB.

2.5 hours.
UmustBKidding
How does that even work 105 and 290 only intersect in brenham. Maybe i10?
Still not sure it's the best way bet at least you would no be back tracking 50 miles
doubledog
6 - 290 - I10 - I610 -GRB. ~ 2.5 hours expect traffic 6 to 9 am.
6 - 290 (HOV) -I610-I10-GRB ~2,5 hours expect traffic (HOV/HOT free for 3 riders @ 6:30-7:00 up to $7.00 depending on time of day)

No matter which route you take there will be traffic in the 610 loop. Try to leave very early or go down the night before and stay at a downtown hotel.

Good luck
doubledog

biobioprof
why take the loop instead of just staying on 290 to I10?

just looking at what Google maps.suggests.
Oogway
^^ That's what I used to do, but tbh, I wasn't going to the same place as OP just the general area. I left at 6-6:30 and made it w/o difficulty in less than 3 hours but I never had a firm appt time.
OnlyForNow
AG
You're right. Just take out 290 in my suggestion.

Keeps you out of the most heavy traffic.
java94
AG
Google Maps has a little-known feature...

After you enter you start and end addresses, there is a drop-down just below it that defaults to 'Leave Now'. You can change that to 'Arrive by' and set the Date/Time you want to arrive.

It worked well for me when I needed to get to Pearland at 9:30 am for a funeral two weeks ago.
doubledog
biobioprof said:

290 Ts at 610, you need to take 610 about a mile to I10.
fcag
AG
If you've never tried it, download the Waze app and use its navigation. It uses real time crowd-sourced traffic data to estimate realistic drive times, and suggests detours that can save you time.
Houston ISD, Katy ISD, Cypress Fairbanks ISD and many others are on Spring Break next week. I've found that it makes traffic better no matter when you make the trip. I guess Houston is not a Spring Break destination, lol.
Rexter
6-105-45-hardy toll road-610-59
runnrboy
AG
Thanks for all the answers. I figured there was not an "easy" way but thought I'd ask to see if anyone knew a secret route. We may just go down the night before and get a friend to come over and spend the night at our house and watch our dogs.
dubi
AG
runnrboy said:

Thanks for all the answers. I figured there was not an "easy" way but thought I'd ask to see if anyone knew a secret route. We may just go down the night before and get a friend to come over and spend the night at our house and watch our dogs.
Bingo!
slyk
Since when does 290 run straight into I-10? 290 has always terminated into 610. You've always had to take 610 loop around a bit to get to I-10. Haven't been to Houston in a while that way so maybe they have changed the freeways up or added a direct 290 to I-10 link?
rhoswen
AG
They added a link.
UmustBKidding
Probably been open 9 months. Basically broke part of the direct to park and ride and a few Lanes of the exit to make a set of dedicated Lanes from 290 sb to i10
So where you used to have to stay left for the 610sb exit and dive Right to ten you need to stay right.
Not going to say you can actually get through traffic to get to the exit in the morning. At time 359 to 10 or even Hardy toll to 59 will get you to grb faster.
angus55
I wouldn't go 290. Construction is a mutha. Better off cutting over 105 or going thru Huntsvegas even.
ncttc
+1 for the Waze app
gettingitdone
290 is a mess right now and there are lots of detours. Try and avoid if possible.
runnrboy
AG
Quote:

290 is a mess right now and there are lots of detours. Try and avoid if possible.
Waze app has a route taking me off 290 to 99 to 249 then over to 45. We are going tonight so we won't be in a hurry.
runnrboy
AG
Hwy 6 > 290 > I10, 2 hours and that was with a stop at Buccees in Waller.
doubledog
doubledog said:

biobioprof said:

290 Ts at 610, you need to take 610 about a mile to I10.
I stand corrected.now 290 "parallels" I610 and (merges with 290HOV) for about 1 mile. I must admit I have not taken this route since 2016.
techno-ag
AG
ncttc said:

+1 for the Waze app
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.