Yellow Bikes on Campus

41,868 Views | 239 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by halibut sinclair
bushytailed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
techno-ag said:

If it helps the environment, what's a little inconvenience to everybody?
It's inconvenient and unsafe when I have to run in a bike lane on George Bush because the three yellow bikes coming at me are taking up the sidewalk.
redd38
AG
bushytailed said:

techno-ag said:

It's inconvenient and unsafe when I have to run in a bike lane on George Bush because the three yellow bikes coming at me are taking up the sidewalk.

That's true for any bike. Not unique to yellow bikes.
techno-ag
AG
bushytailed said:

techno-ag said:

BYOB!
halibut sinclair
O.G.
Notre Dame has their own version of this, and their bikes get left in random locations as well. Not sure if anyone ever has the job of rounding them up or not.
CollegeStationMaid
There's one laying flat in the middle of the church parking lot on Anderson.

AG @ HEART
Playtuagain said:

How is riding one bike any better than riding a different bike?

Better question yet, how much green house gas is created making all these bikes.
AggiePhil
AG
The ofo bikes are actually pretty awesome. GPS tracking to help customers locate available bikes and help the company locate abandoned bikes and return them to campus. To use them, you scan the QR code on the bike, Bluetooth to it through the app, then pay and it unlocks. Bikes are also full featured with head and tail lights, bell, the whole nine yards.
TexasAggie_02
AG
AggiePhil said:

The ofo bikes are actually pretty awesome. GPS tracking to help customers locate available bikes and help the company locate abandoned bikes and return them to campus. To use them, you scan the QR code on the bike, Bluetooth to it through the app, then pay and it unlocks. Bikes are also full featured with head and tail lights, bell, the whole nine yards.
just so people know, by installing the app, you are allowing a Chinese company access to:

Quote:

Version 2.3.0 can access:
  • precise location (GPS and network-based)
  • access extra location provider commands
Phone
  • read phone status and identity
Photos/Media/Files
  • access USB storage filesystem
  • read the contents of your USB storage
  • modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
Storage
  • read the contents of your USB storage
  • modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
Camera
  • take pictures and videos
Wi-Fi connection information
  • view Wi-Fi connections
Device ID & call information
  • read phone status and identity
Other
  • receive data from Internet
  • view network connections
  • pair with Bluetooth devices
  • access Bluetooth settings
  • connect and disconnect from Wi-Fi
  • control flashlight
  • full network access
  • prevent device from sleeping

Builder93
AG
I saw one halfway down New Main by the golf course. Why would you take the bike only that far? Does it work like cab fare? "Well, I have enough in my account to get halfway there. Better than walking the whole way."

nashvilleaggie11

Visited College Station this weekend. The bikes are everywhere. Top photo is at corner of Texas and George Bush and other photo is in the yard of a house in the Southside Historic district.
phatpat21
There is one at the park in my neighborhood
redd38
AG
phatpat21 said:

There is one at the park in my neighborhood

You're lucky there's only 1.
dallasiteinsa02
They were left all over the Reed parking lot during the baseball game. Most of the time in a regular parking spot. I don't understand why they can't use gps or bluetooth to control it. If the bike is not checked back in within so many feet of a bike rack, the fee goes up dramatically. $1 to ride, but after 5 hours it is $40. Riders will make sure that they get it back in a bike rack.
redd38
AG
dallasiteinsa02 said:

They were left all over the Reed parking lot during the baseball game. Most of the time in a regular parking spot. I don't understand why they can't use gps or bluetooth to control it. If the bike is not checked back in within so many feet of a bike rack, the fee goes up dramatically. $1 to ride, but after 5 hours it is $40. Riders will make sure that they get it back in a bike rack.

Cause the whole point is that they don't have to be in bike racks.
UmustBKidding
Just wait its coming.
The future of these thing will look like this
https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2018/03/bike-share-oversupply-in-china-huge-piles-of-abandoned-and-broken-bicycles/556268/

dallasiteinsa02
redd38 said:

dallasiteinsa02 said:

That is not correct. It says all over the website and their terms of use that it is to be returned to a bike rack.

http://transport.tamu.edu/Alternative/bicycles/bikeshare-1.aspx
redd38
AG
dallasiteinsa02 said:

redd38 said:

dallasiteinsa02 said:

That is not correct. It says all over the website and their terms of use that it is to be returned to a bike rack.

http://transport.tamu.edu/Alternative/bicycles/bikeshare-1.aspx

That's just what A&M would like people to do, ofo does not require that the bikes be returned to a rack.
veritas47
If you have a bike that you had to scan to unlock & ride that you leave in a sidewalk or in Normangee, shouldn't it be easy to fine or add charges for the idiot who left it there? There's already an electronic & GPS record, right?
UmustBKidding
They won't do that, the PLA still wants access to the contents of you phone and with all the outrage against facebook they may not be able to buy access to it from them.
redd38
AG
veritas47 said:

If you have a bike that you had to scan to unlock & ride that you leave in a sidewalk or in Normangee, shouldn't it be easy to fine or add charges for the idiot who left it there? There's already an electronic & GPS record, right?

There are relocation fees if you leave the bike outside the specified area (aka in Normangee).
veritas47
redd38 said:

There are relocation fees if you leave the bike outside the specified area (aka in Normangee).

Isn't anything other than a bike rack considered outside of the specified area for leaving the bike?
redd38
AG
veritas47 said:

redd38 said:

Isn't anything other than a bike rack considered outside of the specified area for leaving the bike?

No, the app has a green line on a map outlining the service area for each market.. You're not supposed to take the bike outside that area for more than 12 hours. Other than that, ofo says just leave the bike anywhere legal (so not impeding roads/sidewalks).
dave99ag
AG
Parking in trees is cool.

AGGies0311
Can't wait for football games where all these bikes are just left outside of Kyle Field.
AGGies0311
I just saw that you have to register your bike on campus as well.... once again a$m is like a brothel, you pay to get screwed here.
bushytailed
AG
There is one at Barak and Stillmeadow in Bryan.
#theyreeverywhere
Oogway
Unless planted as a gift, tax dollars pay for those trees that give shade and beauty to campus. If people were leaving them in the Century tree and it got sick, I would think that a shame. I don't know why some people behave the way they do, but sometimes we just have to say, "cut that out, it's not funny ." Will people stop? Probably not, but we still should say it because someone just might listen.
redd38
AG
AGGies0311 said:

I just saw that you have to register your bike on campus as well.... once again a$m is like a brothel, you pay to get screwed here.

You don't HAVE to register your bike on campus, they just want you to register your bike on campus.
TexAg1987
I saw a few abandoned near the cross walks leaving campus. Dumped on the sidewalks.

I hope someone is getting charged. Just looks like trash and blocks the side walks.
kyledr04
AG
I saw on abandoned on Villa Maria today
ComfortAg
AG
redd38 said:

AGGies0311 said:

You don't HAVE to register your bike on campus, they just want you to register your bike on campus.
Quote:

As of November 18, 2017, Texas A&M Transportation Services requires all bicycles on campus to be registered and show proof of registration by displaying a permit to avoid enforcement action. Mandatory bike registration includes a required $10 dollar fee applied to each bike registered. Register your bicycle online at My ...

transport.tamu.edu/alternative/bicycles/services.aspx

redd38
AG
ComfortAg said:

redd38 said:

AGGies0311 said:

Quote:

As of November 18, 2017, Texas A&M Transportation Services requires all bicycles on campus to be registered and show proof of registration by displaying a permit to avoid enforcement action. Mandatory bike registration includes a required $10 dollar fee applied to each bike registered. Register your bicycle online at My ...

transport.tamu.edu/alternative/bicycles/services.aspx

They don't go around looking for bikes without registration though, bikes that aren't registered are allowed. Just don't abandon your bike on campus for a long time and you're fine. You just need the registration if your bike gets impounded.
SumAggie
like most hair-brained schemes to "save the earth" this will end in failure and cost anyone/everyone who "contributes to the system" a lot of money.... its sad but when people have no skin in the game they turn into idiots.
FlyRod
The sheer volume of complaints in this thread makes me realize TAMU did the right thing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.