Yellow Bikes on Campus

41,869 Views | 239 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by halibut sinclair
doubledog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Campus Bike Share Program (ofo) has just rolled out their service at TAMU. Those yellow bikes are everywhere, which is good, however I see a problem. The students are now parking them not only in or close to a bike rack, but in the middle of sidewalks, next to doors etc. There are no consequences that I can see for just leaving the bike where you want it and rushing into class. Has anyone used this service and if so what would happen if I did not leave that yellow bike at a bike rack?

Just curious, I had to skirt a few badly parked yellow bikes on my way to lunch today.

Rex Racer
AG
You're not the first person I've heard complain about this. I heard one Ofo bike was found in a tree! Who could have predicted this? (just about anyone)
redd38
AG
I don't know what the terms of service are, but theoretically they could charge a fee if you don't leave it in a bike rack. They'd just need a guy going around campus/town scanning bikes that aren't in bike racks.

Edit: ofo's website says you can report illegal parking in their app
Lone Stranger
Like the one sitting on Montclair steet yesterday everyone was driving around?
techno-ag
AG
If it helps the environment, what's a little inconvenience to everybody?
halibut sinclair
Captn_Ag05
AG
It is a mess in Dallas. The worst is when they end up in streets and block traffic.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/news/dallas-bike-share-mess-photos-10228055
Playtuagain
AG
How is riding one bike any better than riding a different bike?
redd38
AG
It will be interesting to see how long these bikes last. These seem particularly susceptible to the drunken hoard of destruction that radiates from Northgate every weekend.
UmustBKidding
They are a total mess in Dallas, when you have no skin in the game they are treated like trash. Find them left in the middle of the street, thrown in yards trees, lakes and ponds. I can't believe that cocs has not gotten in on the action. Remember seeing someone post here demanding they do so.
In UK at least you pay a token amount that is refunded when you return them to a rack, and you are liable if they are destroyed during your use.

taxpreparer
AG
Didn't A&M try something like a few years ago?
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
redd38
AG
taxpreparer said:

The old ones had to be returned to specific places.
Red Krow
So can you just ride one to your house and leave it outside? Do they have to stay on campus? I'm sure they will tend to gather in certain places, do they have someone relocating them and spreading them out to make them easier to find. Just curious about this whole thing. Seems like it could be a very good thing but as others have said I'm sure some will ruin it for everyone.
Captn_Ag05
AG
In Dallas they can just be left wherever. They have a few people that gather and move the bikes, but nowhere near enough. You can see locations of the bikes on the app.

They really just want you to download the app to collect information and sell it. That is why they don't care about the bikes and only charge $1 to ride.
redd38
AG
Red Krow said:

So can you just ride one to your house and leave it outside? Do they have to stay on campus? I'm sure they will tend to gather in certain places, do they have someone relocating them and spreading them out to make them easier to find. Just curious about this whole thing. Seems like it could be a very good thing but as others have said I'm sure some will ruin it for everyone.

There is an imaginary boundary, I don't have the app so I don't know where it is exactly. But if you go outside the boundary then you have 12 hours to bring the bike back within the boundary.
DimeBox17
AG
There's one hanging out on a side walk by wellborn and university across from Chimys. Also saw two parked off of jones butler. Doubt it lasts long here.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
I saw that one this morning on the way to campus for work and thought what a shame it is that it's just lying there not where it could be picked up and used like its original intent. I can see quickly they'll be misused in terms of tidiness and will cause more disruption than usefulness.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
...grateful for grace.....
Otto Braun 6/6/12-12/26/13
--cure pediatric cancer--
nashvilleaggie11
We don't like them in Dallas. Stuff like this is happening:

http://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/dallas-county/blind-man-partially-tears-acl-after-falling-over-rental-bike/526771354
techno-ag
AG
We should start a campaign. Ban YellOw Bikes. BYOB.
redd38
AG
Someone did at least some clean up last night. There used to be a bunch all over Northgate and those are gone this morning, and all the bikes I saw on campus were neatly next to a bike rack.
Wildmen03
AG
taxpreparer said:

They had black and yellow striped ones sometime between 99 and 03 while I was at A&M. They all ended up in trees.
TexasAggie_02
AG
taxpreparer said:

Student government did "Borrow a Bike" back in 1998-2000 ish. They took the old confiscated bikes (that they just sell as surplus now) and painted them either white or yellow ( can't remember).

If you saw one of these bikes anywhere, you could ride it. Most of them ended up stolen, up in trees, or trashed, b/c people were jumping them, hitting curbs, etc.

The program lasted maybe 1 semester.
CS78
Saw some students ramping one in an empty lot off Lincoln yesterday.

waterchick
redd38 said:

taxpreparer said:

Was that the MaroonBikes program? Did that go away? The yellow bikes don't seem fundamentally different than that program. You have to pay for both right?

https://today.tamu.edu/2018/02/27/texas-am-transportation-services-ofo-roll-out-campus-bike-share-program/
According to that article you have to pay but no cost is mentioned.
AgFan1999
AG
Here are the prices.
DBSwooper
TexasAggie_02 said:

taxpreparer said:

Student government did "Borrow a Bike" back in 1998-2000 ish. They took the old confiscated bikes (that they just sell as surplus now) and painted them either white or yellow ( can't remember).

If you saw one of these bikes anywhere, you could ride it. Most of them ended up stolen, up in trees, or trashed, b/c people were jumping them, hitting curbs, etc.

I'm '02 and that disaster of a program was what I instantly thought of when I saw this program. To be fair those bikes were in terrible shape mechanically and I think the abuse came as a function of their lack of usability.

redd38
AG
egret said:

redd38 said:

taxpreparer said:

Was that the MaroonBikes program? Did that go away? The yellow bikes don't seem fundamentally different than that program. You have to pay for both right?

https://today.tamu.edu/2018/02/27/texas-am-transportation-services-ofo-roll-out-campus-bike-share-program/
According to that article you have to pay but no cost is mentioned.

I was talking about another program between Maroon Bikes and now, but Maroon Bikes was essentially the same. They had specific places to get and return bikes. Apparently someone tries this idea every year or two. This one seems more popular than any previous ones though, maybe because it doesn't have pickup/drop-off locations or maybe because everyone is still on their 2 week free trial.
Prune Tracy
DBSwooper said:

TexasAggie_02 said:

taxpreparer said:

I'm '02 and that disaster of a program was what I instantly thought of when I saw this program. To be fair those bikes were in terrible shape mechanically and I think the abuse came as a function of their lack of usability.

To be fair those bikes were in terrible shape mechanically and I think the abuse came as a function of drunk dorm idiots.

FIFY
BrazosWifi
Hey! I resemble that remark!
">
ro828
The bikes are a fine idea. I was on campus this afternoon and saw those yellow bikes everywhere.

Now the next step should be a Bikes for Dummies class that will teach people that since that bike has wheels it belongs on the street and not on the sidewalk.
mongey donk
AG
Ha. There is one at the front door of 40 Tempura
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
techno-ag said:

When someone in a wheelchair cannot travel down a sidewalk. Or if someone trips and falls over one of these bikes.

They have become a pest in Dallas and the public hates them.

Oogway
They are a wonderful idea. Transportation when you need it, good for the environment, ease automobile congestion and are a healthy alternative to driving.

BUT........

They require a certain amount of cooperation and consideration from the community.
Unfortunately, in our society of individuals, some citizens are not on the same page and haven't even picked up the darn book. So yeah, I expect it to be short-lived like the other programs.
techno-ag
AG
pepe the dog said:

techno-ag said:

When someone in a wheelchair cannot travel down a sidewalk. Or if someone trips and falls over one of these bikes.

They have become a pest in Dallas and the public hates them.

BYOB!
halibut sinclair

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.