Yellow Bikes on Campus

42,117 Views | 239 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by halibut sinclair
woodiewood1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If a bike is left in the wrong location charge the last user $10 for the first instance and add $5 for each additional violation up to $100 per instance.. You don't graduate, cannot register for the next semester, or be able to get a certified transcript until you ante up.
Rex Racer
AG
woodiewood1 said:

If a bike is left in the wrong location charge the last user $10 for the first instance and add $5 for each additional violation up to $100 per instance.. You don't graduate, cannot register for the next semester, or be able to get a certified transcript until you ante up.

I could really screw over the last user by picking the bike up and moving it across town.
AgFan1999
AG
and that's why that solution wouldn't work.
Lone Stranger
One of my students friends indicated he and his roommate had put 7 ofo's in the back of his pickup from their complex to take back to campus. However; they were on their way to eat first at Cotton Patch. On their way there they found a really nice entertainment center on the curb so they unloaded the bikes, loaded up the entertainment center and took it home and moved it in.

Why didn't they go back for the bikes? Sir, they don't own those bikes...it's not like the bikes are their responsibility. This is why great ideas don't always work out like they were planned on paper.

woodiewood1
Rex Racer said:

woodiewood1 said:

I could really screw over the last user by picking the bike up and moving it across town.

It would work. You leave the bike within the allowable map area and the GPS system registers after a short period of time, such as 10 or 15 minutes, that it was left correctly. If you moved it an hour later, the user would not be subject to the fee as they left it in a proper location.

Easy to solve that issue.

Scruffy
AG
woodiewood1 said:

Rex Racer said:

woodiewood1 said:

It would work. You leave the bike within the allowable map area and the GPS system registers after a short period of time, such as 10 or 15 minutes, that it was left correctly. If you moved it an hour later, the user would not be subject to the fee as they left it in a proper location.

Easy to solve that issue.

And since you've given the chi-coms all access to your phone and data they will know that.
lost my dog
woodiewood1 said:

How is a private company (Ofo) going to keep someone from graduating or registering? It's a significant legal difference between leaving a bike somewhere and an on-campus parking ticket.

Plus can you imagine the outcry from the parents if little Kyle/Maggie can't register because of this? The city may not care. But the people at the University who have to deal with it will.
redd38
AG
lost my dog said:

woodiewood1 said:

How is a private company (Ofo) going to keep someone from graduating or registering? It's a significant legal difference between leaving a bike somewhere and an on-campus parking ticket.

Plus can you imagine the outcry from the parents if little Kyle/Maggie can't register because of this? The city may not care. But the people at the University who have to deal with it will.

The private company has a partnership with the university, so the university could do whatever they want.

(I don't they should or would, but they could)
Stupe
S
Lone Stranger said:

One of my students friends indicated he and his roommate had put 7 ofo's in the back of his pickup from their complex to take back to campus. However; they were on their way to eat first at Cotton Patch. On their way there they found a really nice entertainment center on the curb so they unloaded the bikes, loaded up the entertainment center and took it home and moved it in.

Why didn't they go back for the bikes? Sir, they don't own those bikes...it's not like the bikes are their responsibility. This is why great ideas don't always work out like they were planned on paper.

Sounds a lot like the rezoning and grandfathering by the school board.
lost my dog
redd38 said:

The private company has a partnership with the university, so the university could do whatever they want.

Lol, you have very high expectations of what the University can do. By this logic, the University could require all students who live off campus to eat three meals a day at Chartwell's facilities exclusively, or the University will withold diplomas.
techno-ag
AG
lost my dog said:

redd38 said:

Lol, you have very high expectations of what the University can do. By this logic, the University could require all students who live off campus to eat three meals a day at Chartwell's facilities exclusively, or the University will withold diplomas.
He was prolly comparing it to parking tickets, for which they can indeed make your life miserable.
Captn_Ag05
AG
https://twitter.com/RADOWDY/status/999657290931335169/photo/1
Scruffy
AG
Has to be a marketing ploy to the incoming students.
redd38
AG
Ofo No Mo'!!!

Ofo is leaving College Station and most other American Cities.
Clucky
Ofo no mo', fo' sho'?
redd38
AG
https://www.americaninno.com/austin/inno-news/ofo-is-leaving-austin-and-most-other-u-s-cities/

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.fox4news.com/news/ofo-bike-share-company-leaving-dallas-market
biobioprof
I decided to try it over the summer and I liked it.

Just got an email from them confirming that they are leaving here.
HDAggie
AG
ofo is NOT leaving Aggieland.

TexAgs knows stuff and now TexAgs knows they are staying.

Some in our area received the "We're to stay in your town . . . " email and some received the "ofo is leaving" email.

I promise they are not leaving. We are working on how to message appropriately since the email notifications crossed regions.
HDAggie
AG
This was the email we should have received.

Subject: ofo is committed

Get where you're going on two wheels

We're here to stay in your town. You may have read that we've reduced operations in some US markets, but rest assured we're here to stay and are committed to giving you the best possible ofo experience moving forward.

Thanks for riding with us
We appreciate your support, and hope you continue to enjoy the ofo experience as we do. Together, we're changing how we think about getting there, one pedal at a time.

Where will ofo take you?
- Team ofo

Email sent from ofo US 995 Market Street, San Francisco, CA 94103
Copyright , All rights reserved.
redd38
AG
HDAggie said:

Some in our area received the "We're to stay in your town . . . " email and some received the "ofo is leaving" email.

I promise they are not leaving. We are working on how to message appropriately since the email notifications crossed regions.

You work for ofo?
woodiewood1
Every time I see the work Ofo, I think of Rick Perry's "Adios Mofo!"

HDAggie
AG
redd38 said:

You work for ofo?
No. I work for the university.
Post removed:
by user
BrandoC
AG
This whole bike thing does not make sense to me. You see yellow bikes strowed all throughout College Station. They should only be alllowed to be used on campus and a half mile radius around campus.
CS78
U all think it's been entertaining so far. I believe there have been 1600 bikes in town. That number is going to 4000 for the fall.
BCStalk
You forgot about Bryan. Those things are turning up as far as Blinn and Downtown.
techno-ag
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

Quote:

So, ofo made an oh no....

Now they are scrambling to fix the bo bo.
Ofo Pete's sake.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
BQ_90
AG

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2966718/1
turfman80
AG
Saw one yesterday at the Bryan Kroger
techno-ag
AG
They say things are going well now that the semester has started. CS has put the hammer down on regulations and the company has scrambled to comply, hiring people to go round up those bikes and put them in racks.

http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/ofo-bike-share-adjusting-to-new-College-Station-rules-492440441.html

Quote:

Since school started, the city says they've had about 20 complaints and issued only one citation. ofo is also expanding the geo-fence, or the territory where the bikes are supposed to be used. It now includes more businesses in town like the HEB at Texas and Holleman Drive. The company can face a citation if improperly placed bikes aren't removed or relocated quickly.

"If it is between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., ofo has two hours to pick up that bike and take care of it. If it's an off time, then it's 12 hours," said Aubrey Nettles, College Station Special Projects Coordinator. She added ofo just obtained a permit with them last week.
"It's my understanding that they have 14 full-time equivalent employees right now. Of course, that can be spread out with some student workers," he said.

They are also looking to see if businesses or apartment complexes would like to be docking sites. Eventually 500 more bikes are expected to come to town, for a total of about 3,000.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
FlyRod
3000-4000 more bikes coming, confirmed.
Playtuagain
AG
If I see too many more bikes in our bike racks on campus I'm going to start carting them off.
stinkerbelle
Yesterday morning I saw one at Higgs and Lakeside Drive, just off of Leonard Road, down from the Expo Center. It was laying in a ditch. That is probably the farthest out that I have seen. I also saw the one downtown.
techno-ag
AG
stinkerbelle said:

Yesterday morning I saw one at Higgs and Lakeside Drive, just off of Leonard Road, down from the Expo Center. It was laying in a ditch. That is probably the farthest out that I have seen. I also saw the one downtown.
Anybody here been out to RELLIS? Curious if they've migrated that far yet.

- Joe Biden

- Kamala Harris
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
techno-ag said:

stinkerbelle said:

Anybody here been out to RELLIS? Curious if they've migrated that far yet.
Wasn't this how fire ants got started in the 1970's?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.