Sterling Subaru

2,694 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BryanPooch
turfman80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Beginning to shop for a new vehicle and i like what i see and read about Subaru for an AWD SUV. The only thing I have heard about the local dealership is that they may not deal on price as much as Houston dealers. Any experiences from local Subaru owners on buying and/or having your vehicle serviced at Sterling?
txbudda
Bought a used car for my wife from them December 2016 and they where super friendly and helpful but would not budge on price.
lockett93
AG
I didn't find them to be higher than Houston dealers. Maybe specific models ??
AgDotCom
My wife bought a new Outback from Sterling in December. I like the vehicle and the AWD so much I'm thinking about getting an Outback or a Forester, and I've exclusively driven pickups my entire life....never thought I'd say that.

Sterling's website will show the discount on MSRP and they won't budge much if at all from that. In Houston, at least one or perhaps two dealers don't even bother with a discount on the website, and according to my wife they said "we don't have to". Maybe that's due to a car shortage from the hurricane, I dunno.

Best prices I've seen are at 5 Star Subaru in Grapevine, seems like a great dealership all the way around. But I'll probably use Sterling if I buy, I want to buy local and I liked the experience there. YMMV.
Broncos
I bought a GMC from Nick two years ago. His office is in the Subaru building and that's his specialty. He was super easy to deal with and came down quite a bit.
patrick.redmill
Bought an Outback from Nick a couple years back. It was ... buying a car. Not a super pleasant experience. Subarus were really popular then (and now), and they didn't move on the price much. Financing was dirt cheap, at least.

I will say the post-purchase experience has been top notch. My wife calls Nick all the time, day and night, and he's always Johnny on the spot. He even showed us how to install our car seat when my wife was pregnant with our first kid last year.
Nutmegger
AG
They didn't move much on price, so I went with one of the largest Subaru dealerships in the country (Heuberger Subaru). They do many out-of-state purchases and give you under invoice without having to negotiate much, if at all. Just do a quick search and you will find information on various Subaru forums about them.

As for the vehicle, you can either pick up from them or have it shipped, and even with the shipping (about $500 to TX), their price was still well below Sterling's. I'm paying almost $1K under the invoice pricing w/them for a WRX. I actually chose to pick the vehicle up since I have been meaning to take a Colorado vacation this year anyway, so I will just make an adventure out of it.

Also, compared to dealerships and salesmen I've dealt with over the years, this was the quickest and easiest car shopping experience I've had by far. Since they are a volume dealer, they don't quote you overpriced/MSRP prices like other dealerships, and therefore there is less of the back-and-forth negotiating just to get to a reasonable price.

Oh, and they also don't spam you with emails everyday like all the other dealerships either ">
summergal
I have two best friends who have bought from Sterling. One of them wanted a new Forester, went back to do business with Sterling and they would not budge on price she wanted. Told them she was going to Gillman in N. Houston. She followed through and got the price she wanted and a better upgrade than she expected.
Aggies76
AG
I really like their service department. I've only been once for my first oil change, but they were great.

momlaw
AG
Ditto.
Mike delivers on service, no matter where the vehicle was purchased.
momlaw
pacecar02
I'm a subaru ambassador

Let me know if you'd like some literature or subaru gear

I'm local to Bryan

Find me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/pacecar02?s=09

meteorag06
AG
I've bought two Subaru's for my wife. That's the only vehicle she will drive from now on. I love it too, wish I didn't need a truck.

Both times we went into Sterling to buy, but they wouldn't budge on the price much. This last time I asked them for the lowest price they could do. If they could get to where I needed to be then a deal would be made, if not no big deal it's business. The gentlemen said yes this is my absolute lowest price I can do. It wasn't where I needed it to be, so I said thanks for your time and proceeded to get up. I got about 10' away from the door and he shouts that he might be able to go lower. I told him "you just looked me in the eye and said this was the lowest price, you had your shot"

Went to Gillman North and got an upgraded model at a lower price point than Subaru. Were looking at the Accent when it comes out, not sure if I'll give Sterling another chance or not.

I will say their service department is great though!!!

Hope this helps.
dubi
AG
I think you have learned to buy elsewhere and they have good service!
momlaw
AG
Essentially same thing happened to me.
momlaw
BryanPooch
It's been nearly three years since I bought my Subaru. I used Consumer Reports to look at what options I wanted and what was a fair price. I got multiple bids from Austin, Houston, Conroe and San Antonio deslers.Sterling matched the b eat offers I got from any other deals. Did a deal in l ese tg an a half hour as they had already checked my credit.

I don't drive as many miles as most. They extended my free serving period because of that. Love the car and it's safety features.
BryanPooch
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.