Top Golf alternative - would something like this work in BCS?

11,710 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by maroon barchetta
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I recently went to Lubbock for work, and while there we went to a place very similar to Top Golf called 4ore Golf. It was nice and had a great crowd - especially since it was a weeknight.

I see a lot of people wishing for a Top Golf to come to BCS, but I think the market size and locations in the Houston area will make it not be on their radar. The BCS population size is similar to that of Lubbock. Do you think something similar to 4ore would do well in BCS?

http://www.4oregolf.com/gallery/

duffelpud
AG
Lubock?!

They'll be storing hurricane damaged cars there before six months goes by.
"What's this button do?"
KidDoc
AG
Looking at the website it doesn't look any different or cheaper to make than Top Golf. Maybe I'm missing something.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Captn_Ag05
AG
It seemed a little cheaper as I think the bays were by the hour rather than by the person. But, I wasn't paying so not 100%.

Are Top Golf prices prohibitive in BCS? I do agree that a Top Golf alternative should be cheaper.
Chef Demas 2020
AG
Top golf is also by the hour and you can split it however many ways you want between the 6 people. The entire set up looks exactly like top golf.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Whether it is exactly the same or slightly different isn't really my question or what I was trying to get at. It is a different company than Top Golf that is targeting a smaller market than what Top Golf is currently in. Just wondering what the consensus was on the viabilty of such a place here.
aggiepaintrain
AG
finding affordable land in a good location is the biggest hurdle to the business plan.

If we wait long enough we should be able to do leap frog up and down Hwy 6 on Oldham Goodwin signs though...
Captn_Ag05
AG
True. Land off 47, across from the Health Science Center, seems ripe for development.
InMyOpinion
I believe Top Golf just opened a smaller version - 72 bays instead of the typical 96 bays in Huntsville Alabama.

It will be interesting on how well that location does but I think we are still a ways from getting a Top Golf or similar business here.
gibby03
AG
Tear down the old Academy and Gander Mountain and put it in right there.
jammer262
I actually like the 4ore game better than Topgolf and it's half the price. We went to the Lubbock location over the holidays and had a blast. It would be a great addition to the BCS area.
thesleepstation
Sponsor
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

I recently went to Lubbock for work, and while there we went to a place very similar to Top Golf called 4ore Golf. It was nice and had a great crowd - especially since it was a weeknight.

I see a lot of people wishing for a Top Golf to come to BCS, but I think the market size and locations in the Houston area will make it not be on their radar. The BCS population size is similar to that of Lubbock. Do you think something similar to 4ore would do well in BCS?

http://www.4oregolf.com/gallery/

I'm in Lubbock once a month or so checking non our Lubbock store.. This is actually a pretty interesting story on how 4ore came about.. A couple of doctors opened it. They were dead set on acquiring a top golf franchise.. Long story short TopGolf folks told them thanks but no thanks so they built their own and it is always packed..
Aggie Owned and Operated by Jarrad and Elisha McLeod Class of 2003 and 2006! The Official Mattress Provider of TexAgs!
Captn_Ag05
AG
That is interesting. I may reach out to gauge their level of interest. I would love to help bring a project like this to the area.
EMY92
AG
Lubbock is considerably larger than BCS, it's also a regional draw. People drive from 200 miles away to go shopping and to doctors in Lubbock (mainly from eastern NM, most in Carlsbad prefer Lubbock over El Paso - same distance but much safer).
phatpat21
That would be amazing. Other than it being 15 seconds from my house and the wife would hate it. Sign me up!
Also I think BCS would do good with a place like this here. Plenty of golfers in this area, even those that don't golf have fun at top golf. Really hoping it happens!
phatpat21
Lets get them to open up one here!!
jja79
AG
Are golfers the target market?
mgreen
I heard it cost $10 million to build a Top Golf and assume that includes land purchase.
Captn_Ag05
AG
If everyone on Texags chipped in a few bucks...
powerbelly
AG
jja79 said:

Are golfers the target market?
Not really.
phatpat21
I love golf. I play golf and I love going to TopGolf. So to me, yes? But like I said, many people that don't play golf go and have a great time
gibby03
AG
You do not have to play golf to have fun at Top Golf. It's a bar with decent food and good to play. Golfers spend their time during the day and use it as their driving range sometimes if it's convenient. The night scene is for fun. You don't have to be a bowler to enjoy bowling.
Broncos
jja79
AG
I only asked because you mentioned the numbers of local golfers among your reasons it might work. I think the market is others.

There's a place in Spring called Swing Zone that is much smaller but seems to do well.
Cancelled
AG
I'd rather see a nice movie theater that has different screening options than the two current theaters.
KidDoc
AG
queso1 said:

I'd rather see a nice movie theater that has different screening options than the two current theaters.
Like Star Cinema Grill? Coming soon to Century Square.

https://www.starcinemagrill.net/select-your-theater

Or do you mean something more niche?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
B$Weigem
AG
College kids enjoy top golf and would eat this up! I would have to believe that Greek life/ TAMU Organizations might have interest in renting out a floor for events/ parties and such (date parties/ socials/ etc.)
B$Weigem
AG
mgreen said:

I heard it cost $10 million to build a Top Golf and assume that includes land purchase.
They also bring in nearly $500k-750k per month in alcohol sales though.

In 2015 Top Golf sold nearly $5.2 mil in alcohol alone.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Salloh_Baloo said:

College kids enjoy top golf and would eat this up! I would have to believe that Greek life/ TAMU Organizations might have interest in renting out a floor for events/ parties and such (date parties/ socials/ etc.)
And visiting college athletic departments might be interested as well. Good activity for their students while visiting for games, tournaments.
australopithecus robustus
They would never do those alcohol sales here. They might do 1/4
Matsui
AG
The tech mens bball team
Had their viewing party for the bracket release there today. Those screens and that 4ore logos everywhere.
B$Weigem
AG
Matsui said:

The tech mens bball team
Had their viewing party for the bracket release there today. Those screens and that 4ore logos everywhere.
I saw that. It shocks me how they can get away with the layout of that place... it is almost exactly like top-golf, like to the T.
Captn_Ag05
AG
A lot of it, like the layout, probably isn't protectable. I do wonder what technology they are using for the ball tracking, because I imagine Top Golf has patents on the sensors/targets.
jammer262
Captn_Ag05 said:

A lot of it, like the layout, probably isn't protectable. I do wonder what technology they are using for the ball tracking, because I imagine Top Golf has patents on the sensors/targets.

I asked that question. They use radar to gauge swing speed and straightness. Basically it's a golf simulator with the net really far away. The games are different from topgolf, it's all simulated on the screen, so they can put "virtual" targets for you to hit. Topgolf uses an rfid chip in the ball, and can be buggy by not registering targets. 4ore is only 2 decks, where most Topgolf are 3, and 4ore doesn't have the targets dig into the ground. It's a pretty slick place, I hope they expand to smaller markets. I could see it doing well in the Permian Basin, Waco, San Marcos, etc.
B$Weigem
AG
I can see it doing damage in College towns in particular. Every Organization/ Society would pay good money to host Socials and Events there. If it were in CS, college kids would immediately think of 4ore before anything of the likes of Grand station etc.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.