B/CS Pool Builders - Who do you recommend and why?

5,941 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BwdAg
jmazz
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who has personal experience and pros/cons? Please share!
crbongos
AG
Sunshine Pools. Built 2 for me. They build quickly, great design work with many options to meet the budget. Great service after the sale. A+ and, no, I don't own or work for them.
LocalAg96
AG
Definitely have to recommend The Pool Guy. We went with Sunshine and regret it to this day. Built with Sunshine and had terrible problems - after a lawyer and many $$$ we had everything fixed by The Pool Guy and can't say enough good about how they helped us. (and yes Sunshine was in the wrong) The knowledge and professionalism of The Pool Guy was A+++.
jmazz
AG
Would be interested to know about the problems/issues. I'll PM you.

Nevermind...you can't PM. Would you be available to further chat? Email me if you don't mind...

Jeff.Mazzolini @ gmail dot com

Thanks!
fastsloth
We had Mobley Pools install ours a few years back and have been very pleased. There's a reason they've been in business for many years.
75AG
AG
crbongos said:

Sunshine Pools. Built 2 for me. They build quickly, great design work with many options to meet the budget. Great service after the sale. A+ and, no, I don't own or work for them.
Sunshine built ours 1.5 years ago. While we are happy with the pool, equipment and service, we have numerous deck cracks. Starting to look bad. So beware of that.
gb2074
AG
I have built with both The Pool Guy and with Sunshine. The experience with Sunshine could not have been worse. I would never use them again. The Pool Guy built a pool for me and everything was great.
KidDoc
AG
I can't help you with new builds, my house had one when we bought it, but for service I have not been happy with Pool Guy. Their communication is just awful. They just show up whenever and walk into your backyard without ringing the doorbell or calling or anything. This happened on the two occasions I used their service. I do like the store nice folks there.

True Light pools was the last service I used to take apart the filter and clean everything and I was very happy with them.

For chemicals over the last year I've been using pHin which is pretty dang sweet, highly recommend.

Good luck with your build, I love having a pool!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Mobley built mine. There's a reason he's been around forever.
meezermom

Sleepnumber
AG
Mobley for construction (although the highest priced) and True Light for service.
LocalAg96
AG
I sent you an email Jeff and Meezermom. Give me a shout and I can give you more information.
AGFAMTX
Use Premier Pools. These guys are the best hands down
Jetty
AG
Mobley built ours 2 years ago. Totally happy with the design and build.
RJ3
AG
Sunshine Fun Pools, those guys are awesome
meezermom
jmazz
AG
The guys might be awesome but are the pools?

I thought this thread might go like this...some swearing by one guy/company while others swearing off the same guy/company. Was hoping to get a consensus but not looking that way as of yet.
meezermom
75AG
AG
jmazz said:

The guys might be awesome but are the pools?

I thought this thread might go like this...some swearing by one guy/company while others swearing off the same guy/company. Was hoping to get a consensus but not looking that way as of yet.
What did you really expect? A pool is something you do once. If you have a good experience with the company you chose, you say good things about them. Same for the opposite. There are four good builders in town. You're getting honest opinions and experiences. Check them all out.
AggieMom_38
Similar to other posters, we had a really good experience with Mobley. No issues at all (15 or so years ago)
jmazz
AG
This is what I expected...was just hoping there might be more of a consensus. From my understanding, a lot of the subs/trades come up from Houston anyway...might be able to GC the project myself with the help of a local home builder/friend who GC'd his pool and knows who to call for certain aspects. We plan on getting multiple bids but it's not necessarily about the price if I'm going to have to deal with a crappy build, lawsuit, etc. This thread is helpful...keep 'em coming.
KidDoc
AG
My work partner had one put in by Pool Guy a few years ago and has had leak issues already.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
EvenPar
AG
Can you please name the four you are referring to? We have received quotes from 2 of the companies mentioned on this thread, but I would love to have 2 or 3 more!
75AG
AG
EvenPar said:

Can you please name the four you are referring to? We have received quotes from 2 of the companies mentioned on this thread, but I would love to have 2 or 3 more!
Mobley, Premier, Sunshine, Pool Guys are listed in this thread.
Jetty
AG
Mobley will cost you a grand more but as I said earlier... he built our pool 2 years ago almost 3 now. Zero problems... and he's been in business in this area over 40 years. He knows the soil... and the subs coming outta Houston have worked with him for a long time and know his specs are higher than the other companies. He uses twice as much rebar as other companies. Mobley himself was at our house any time the subs were here to check and make sure they were going by HIS specs. Not saying he stayed for long but just to make sure Forman knew what he expected.

Best Wishes...And we love our pool and hot tub!
313-7-12thMan
Sunshine built mine three years ago. Great design, great build process, and only one problem since which was a spa heater that was warranted and replaced. I'll add that I had some elevation issues which were addressed up front that no one else even mentioned. My belief with construction is that there is a thousand different things that can go wrong. A mark of a good company is that they make things right when issues do occur. No one is perfect but my Sunshine experience was pretty darned good.
ukbb2003
Go look at the pools of all the companies mentioned in this thread after rebar is put in. Mobley is higher because he puts in twice as much rebar as the other guys. It is more expensive,but it is done right.
rptsAg03
Mobley- His job site supervisor has worked for him for, I think he said 25/30 years. Mobley himself came out on a Friday afternoon at 4:15 when I had an issue during construction to set it straight. We knew three other families with 10+ yr old Mobley pools that are still very happy- so that confirmed our choice. He is slightly more expensive and he's not gonna throw in all the freebies (vacuum, hot tub, cleaning for a year, etc) but you are going to be happy with the process and the end product, in my experience.
txgardengirl
Not to hijack but curious - have any of you put in a pool after putting in a hot tub/spa as a move up? We want a pool but aren't completely sold so I was thinking of a spa for this year but then we would have to get rid of it if we decide next year to go the pool route...
KidDoc
AG
txgardengirl said:

Not to hijack but curious - have any of you put in a pool after putting in a hot tub/spa as a move up? We want a pool but aren't completely sold so I was thinking of a spa for this year but then we would have to get rid of it if we decide next year to go the pool route...
I have an older pool and a stand alone hot tub. This is my 2nd home with this setup and I really prefer the stand alone hot tub as you don't have to heat up the water every time you use it. Cost-wise it is cheaper as well since you don't have to add the heater to the pool setup. Even keeping it 102 all the time with a cover doesn't cost much as far as electricity goes. The jet setup is also much better in a stand alone hot-tub.
EBrazosAg
AG
Don't have a pool, wouldn't if you gave me one. But been here nearly 25 years with lots of friends getting pools. Never heard a significant issue with Mobley. Have heard of some disasters with others - running into 5+ years in court and over $100k in repair and correction expenses. Just spend the money on quality ..... the flip side is that probably even the worst builder gets it right 90% of the time. You are paying extra for that 9.9% improvement with quality builder.
Muzzleblast
Gary Mobley is a good man and excellent pool builder.

Remember, price is what you pay and value is what you get.
EvenPar
AG
For those that have used Mobley, who did you use for landscaping/lighting?

Does anyone have experience with Traditions Pool & Landscape? Just wondering if there is any reason to choose a company that handles both the pool and landscaping.
rolling_ridgeag05
We used Traditions last year and would use again. Jim is pretty hands on during the construction and working side by side with his guys. Liked the aspect of pool and landscape being done at the same time.
Picadillo
Mobley hands down. If you want cheap, there's always cheap.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.