Football Gameday Transportation Survey

2,421 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Oogway
Gameday Traffic Guy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy, Ags and BCS residents!
We appreciate the input we received from the fans through the Game Day Experience Task Force effort led by Sam Torn. If you have time, we have a few more questions that will help us improve the football gameday transportation experience. We would also like to hear from BCS residents who dont come to the games.

Check out the survey here: https://tti.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_a2BJOnSNOA690gJ

And after that, if you're still interested, you can see more information on transportation plans and evaluations the last few years at: tti.tamu.edu/kyle/ We'll be posting any changes and recommendations on there in the summer.

Thanks for your time,
Gameday Traffic Guy
'79

Stupe
S
Done.

You need better signage inside the garages telling people what street they will be headed to before they choose a garage exit.

Other than that, the traffic flow has been pretty good.
offenseguru
AG
took survey. Agronomy road bus route 5 not listed in drop down options for shuttles. That's my bus yo! Overall great experience and Bama game was my main barometer this yr.
KidDoc
AG
Done. I have no issues but I usually prebuy Reed arena parking passes and show up 3-4 hours early and stay an hour or so after.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dallasiteinsa02
March In was on West Campus might have been the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Made it impossible to get around west campus to park.
KidDoc
AG
dallasiteinsa02 said:

March In was on West Campus might have been the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Made it impossible to get around west campus to park.
We actually enjoyed it since we tailgate out there.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Stupe
S
That's the dumbest thing that you've ever seen?

I want your life!
veritas47
They left Pedi-Cab options off their lists!!!!
Scruffy
AG
dallasiteinsa02 said:

If that might have been the dumbest thing you've seen, you must not spend much time on campus.
Gameday Traffic Guy
AG

Quote:

took survey. Agronomy road bus route 5 not listed in drop down options for shuttles. That's my bus yo! Overall great experience and Bama game was my main barometer this yr.
Sorry about that. We were focusing on the off-campus routes this year. We might be more expansive next year. Appreciate any feedback!
BCS-Ag
It doesn't really seem like you took into account ride-sharing when designing the survey. Taking Uber to and from games is the way to go! I just wish there were preordained locations that we could use for drop-off and pick-up close to the stadium.
AggieBarstool
BCS-Ag said:

It doesn't really seem like you took into account ride-sharing when designing the survey. Taking Uber to and from games is the way to go! I just wish there were preordained locations that we could use for drop-off and pick-up close to the stadium.

There was - the parking area by the clock tower. We discussed it for weeks preceding the first game.
AggieBarstool
dallasiteinsa02 said:

Transportation had nothing to do with it. That would be the Commandant - Gen. Ramirez. Transportation just had to deal with it.
legalbird
Perhaps some of the great ideas could be carried over into everyday commuting.

For example, there are many intersections where 80% of the traffic is backed up north and south. Very few cars are approaching east and west. In turn, a green light can be for the east and west, yet there is no traffic entering.

Also, there are too many private enterprises that block off streets for staging building equipment or food trucks. I believe this is illegal, but it happens. An example would be Northgate where is very common to see streets unofficially closed for unloading.
redd38
AG
AggieBarstool said:

BCS-Ag said:

There was - the parking area by the clock tower. We discussed it for weeks preceding the first game.

He said close to the stadium.
Tailgate88
AG
redd38 said:

AggieBarstool said:

BCS-Ag said:

redd38
AG
Tailgate88 said:

redd38 said:

AggieBarstool said:

BCS-Ag said:

That neither starts nor ends at the correct locations..
Tailgate88
AG
I apologize and stand corrected. However would you be so kind as to supply the correct start and finish for the education of all of us? I'm being serious I would like to know where that Uber drop off is.
redd38
AG
Uber drop off is wherever, no one drops off in 30e because it's too far away. Most drop offs are to tailgates though, not directly to the stadium. However, for the people going to the stadium there are much closer places to drop than 30e. For pickup everyone has to go to 30e, although a lot of people try to get picked up along George Bush too. A lot of people getting picked up in 30e aren't young Aggies that are both familiar with campus and fit enough to consider that a trivial distance to walk after getting out of the stadium. So a lot of people get lost trying to get to the lot, and a lot of people can't make it in 5 minutes. So while the 30e lot isn't terrible, I like it, there are many people that would like a better pickup spot.
biobioprof
Don't schedule games on Thursdays other than Thanksgiving.
Gameday Traffic Guy
AG
Tailgate88 said:

I apologize and stand corrected. However would you be so kind as to supply the correct start and finish for the education of all of us? I'm being serious I would like to know where that Uber drop off is.
Lot 30e is just northwest of the Bell Tower circle. We block that off for shared-rides, apartment,and hotel shuttles if they want, and the taxi companies.
Gameday Traffic Guy
AG
redd38 said:

Uber drop off is wherever, no one drops off in 30e because it's too far away. Most drop offs are to tailgates though, not directly to the stadium. However, for the people going to the stadium there are much closer places to drop than 30e. For pickup everyone has to go to 30e, although a lot of people try to get picked up along George Bush too. A lot of people getting picked up in 30e aren't young Aggies that are both familiar with campus and fit enough to consider that a trivial distance to walk after getting out of the stadium. So a lot of people get lost trying to get to the lot, and a lot of people can't make it in 5 minutes. So while the 30e lot isn't terrible, I like it, there are many people that would like a better pickup spot.
Drop-offs - You're absolutely right - we see drop-offs everywhere. We're working with the companies to get their drivers to understand where they can go to drop off, and not be in the way of other folks trying to get to their parking spots. I see a surprising number of drop offs in the middle of an active street - and there really isnt any reason for that.

Pick-up - We asked for the geofence (the app shows you the walk path to get to Lot 30e so you can get a ride) because Lot 30e has very good entry and exit paths for all directions. Yes, it is a walk. 3100' from the SE Tower.
By comparison its 5,900' to Lot 47/50/51, 4,400' to the south side of Reed Arena in E Lot, 4100' to north side and 3100' to H Lot. And for Super Bowl 51 in Santa Clara it was about a mile to their shared-ride lot.

Its not a trivial distance, but I dont see a lot of people wandering lost. And the problem with getting closer is the drivers have to get in and out. For the relatively small percentage of fans who use the service, we think this is a very good location. Would there be more people who use the service if it picked up in A Lot 62? Probably. Would that jack up a lot of other traffic flow along Wellborn Road and make it difficult for drivers to get back for another pick-up? Definitely. Will we continue to watch the situation and adjust as needed? Absolutely - I'm a researcher and I'm always looking for a better way.

redd38
AG
Gameday Traffic Guy said:

I see a surprising number of drop offs in the middle of an active street - and there really isnt any reason for that.

That's because there generally aren't good places to drop off. There are bad places and worse places, so when choosing between two bad places we pick the one that will make the passenger happiest. We can't pull into parking lots because that requires a permit or money and often the small side streets that would be good to drop on are closed. If even the first 100 ft of Houston St was open to Uber drivers so they could just drop off then turn around and get back out it would help. Same with Joe Routt.
aggies_2001
AG
redd38 said:

I see a surprising number of drop offs in the middle of an active street - and there really isnt any reason for that.

That's because there generally aren't good places to drop off. There are bad places and worse places, so when choosing between two bad places we pick the one that will make the passenger happiest. We can't pull into parking lots because that requires a permit or money and often the small side streets that would be good to drop on are closed. If even the first 100 ft of Houston St was open to Uber drivers so they could just drop off then turn around and get back out it would help. Same with Joe Routt.
So the rest of us should have to sit in the middle of the road and wait while your passengers get out and be inconvenienced so your passenger is happy? NO! If you want to go to a sporting event, then you can walk a little ways. Do you not walk through the stadium and to your seats? But yet, you aren't able to walk to your car. If you can't walk from your car, then perhaps you should stay home and watch it on TV.
redd38
AG
aggies_2001 said:

redd38 said:

So the rest of us should have to sit in the middle of the road and wait while your passengers get out and be inconvenienced so your passenger is happy? NO! If you want to go to a sporting event, then you can walk a little ways. Do you not walk through the stadium and to your seats? But yet, you aren't able to walk to your car. If you can't walk from your car, then perhaps you should stay home and watch it on TV.

It is what it is. If not given a suitable option then people will create their own options. That applies to anything, not just Uber.
Gameday Traffic Guy
AG
redd38 said:

aggies_2001 said:

redd38 said:

It is what it is. If not given a suitable option then people will create their own options. That applies to anything, not just Uber.
We're trying to find safe and out-of-traffic places where those drop-offs can occur. Curbside (not in traffic) and on the outbound side of streets pre-game are our preferred spots. Many of the shared ride providers also like these locations. Immediately adjacent to a "No Parking, Stopping or Standing" sign? Not so much.
Oogway
Quote:

"So the rest of us should have to sit in the middle of the road and wait while your passengers get out and be inconvenienced so your passenger is happy? NO! If you want to go to a sporting event, then you can walk a little ways. Do you not walk through the stadium and to your seats? But yet, you aren't able to walk to your car. If you can't walk from your car, then perhaps you should stay home and watch it on TV. '

No need to get grumpy about it, although after last season, perhaps fans weren't always in the best of moods after the game....

Aggie fans come in all ages and abilities, and it could be that walking a ways is difficult for some of them. After all, that's a mighty big stadium to walk through too! Now that it will hold even more people, it may take patience on everyone's part and it looks to me like Traffic Guy is proactively addressing issues that others may have noticed. Improvement is a good thing!

But back to the Lot 30e dilemma- maybe that would be a good place for that pedicab company to set up some of their vehicles for fans that find the distance a bit much. (No, I am not affiliated with them, it just seems like something that might help.)

Kbeauty63
AG
Except they (pedi-cabs) are restricted to certain areas of main campus (which they tend to ignore & go the wrong way down a one way Street until they encounter a Transportation officer or LEO)
Oogway
I did not know that. Sounds like it needs some improvement there, too. Especially going the wrong way-bad bull to get in a head on collision...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.