new Middle School colors/mascots

6,585 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Stupe
AggieMom_38
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I just read on the CSISD website that CSMS will be the knights and AMCMS will be bobcats. I'm so confused - I thought this whole exercise was about rebranding and to have an identity separate from high schools. Why is AMCMS staying a "cat"? Anyone have any additional insights on this? It just seems odd to rebrand one school but allow the other school to stay the same (and why spend money going from cat to cat). I must be missing something.
DFWag84
Knights are the saviors of a kingdom.
Bobcats are nuisance predators.
Seems about right.

aggielawyer00
AG
This is the biggest problem in the district right now. The absolute feeling of superiority by the CSHS people.
techno-ag
AG
Sounds like an exciting time for the kids. I heard they got to vote on their mascots.
AggieMom_38
okay, thanks for the snarky replies. But back to my question... can someone clarify why AMCMS is still a cat? I thought the rebranding thing was silly/waste of time. But, they're doing it. So, okay. Why is AMCMS still a cat? yes, I hear they voted. But this was to rebrand - from a cat to a cat. (and the HS's are cats).
La Fours
AG
My understanding was the rebranding was more about changing colors and logo rather than the actual mascot itself. So by changing to a different cat the logo/colors change as well giving the school it's own identity and not tied to one particular high school. It wasn't to get a way from being a cat.
Oogway
Why don't you call the school and ask?
02skiag
AG
But it's a different cat than the HSs. I don't see the problem.
ontheedge
AggieMom_38 said:

...I thought the rebranding thing was silly/waste of time. But, they're doing it. ..
I have no dog in the hunt but agree with you. Remember at the next school board elections.
txgardengirl
I was at the meeting - the process was that the staffs came up with 5 choices of mascots and 5 sets of colors. The two current MS principals met and eliminated overlap and got it done to 3 choices. The 7th graders at each campus voted from the 3 options.

AMCMS options were Falcons, Mustangs and Bobcats; Color options were red/blue, black/silver and one other.

The black/silver bobcats was the popular vote winner.

All options were approved by Central office.

I don't think it was entirely necessary, but respect the logic since they need to be able to shift populations in the future and feeder patterns were eliminated.

The middle school teachers seem happy judging by the posts from friends that teach - I think our role as parents is to support our kids, the kids they go to school with and be supportive of the schools.
Stupe
S
aggielawyer00 said:

This is the biggest problem in the district right now. The absolute feeling of superiority by the CSHS people.
I would say that adults being thin skinned and not being able to take a joke is a bigger problem.

Wow.
duffelpud
AG
I'd have had them draw the names out of a hat. Choices would have included:

Special Snowflakes

Safety Spacers

Nogunzonos

Property Taxers

Demo Cats

"What's this button do?"
Stupe
S
And you just know that this is eventually going to reach Stupid Level: Epic and they will decide that the middle school kids can't wear the shirt of the high school they are going to attend in order to avoid "conflict and distractions."

bigjag19
AG
I have the solution.

Gates Middle School Eagles
Loftin Middle School Falcons.

Don't care which is which.
PS3D
The new CSMS colors are royal blue and silver, meaning instead of aping Consol's colors, they take Bryan's instead. Brilliant.
Oogway
KOR private school are the knights so at least the colors aren't the same....
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Stupe said:

And you just know that this is eventually going to reach Stupid Level: Epic and they will decide that the middle school kids can't wear the shirt of the high school they are going to attend in order to avoid "conflict and distractions."

This stipulation is just absurd enough to be true. No clothes can be worn that advocate violence, hatred, or the allegiance to either Tigers or Cougars. Your child will be sent home to change the first time, suspended the second, and summarily banished to Snook the third time. Go Bluejays.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Also, Warhawks is just dumb. The only other team I know of that is the Warhawks is Louisiana-Monroe. They changed to it after the NCAA ruled all Indian-related mascots were insensitive. Except you, Florida State; you're good. (Yes, I know...the Seminoles gave it their ceremonial approval dance.) And, you too, North Dakota, as long as you get rid of that offensive logo.
MB19
AG
Fonzie Scheme said:

Also, Warhawks is just dumb.
Maybe they should have gone with WarDogs. With a rabid dog as the logo.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Junkyard Dawgs
Oogway
I was kinda surprised after the mascot was announced that there wasn't some PC blowback with the 'war' and giving a nod to the military history of the area.

I could think of a lot of mascot names, but the one they went with isn't so bad. I still like Wookies, but maybe it's trademarked and too expensive.
Psychag
AG
Not sure about The Knights? Blue? Seems close to Bryan colors.
91_Aggie
AG
Stupe said:

And you just know that this is eventually going to reach Stupid Level: Epic and they will decide that the middle school kids can't wear the shirt of the high school they are going to attend in order to avoid "conflict and distractions and feelings of superiority"

FIFY
91_Aggie
AG
Oogway said:

I was kinda surprised after the mascot was announced that there wasn't some PC blowback with the 'war' and giving a nod to the military history of the area.

I could think of a lot of mascot names, but the one they went with isn't so bad. I still like Wookies, but maybe it's trademarked and too expensive.
Why no thought of blowback of over Knights?!?! Those crusading knights who went to the Middle East to fight Muslisms. How did that ever get passed?!?!
Oogway
Gosh you're right! I guess I'm too deep in my privilege to notice!

Shame the knights weren't red/black-could've been a knight of 'Ni' holding a shrubbery....
kraut
AG
Oogway said:

Gosh you're right! I guess I'm too deep in my privilege to notice!

Shame the knights weren't red/black-could've been a knight of 'Ni' holding a shrubbery....
They do have Castlegate to defend, though...
Oogway
Haha! That's good!

Wait, is Castlegate going to CSMS or Wellborn?
kraut
AG

Haha! That's good!

Wait, is Castlegate going to CSMS or Wellborn?
I was wrong, they are the attacking knights at siege.

https://1.cdn.edl.io/6kyDyG6V0OAN1X97uLeYow7lur7hmMNZBS9XzLp01fxj3K2d.pdf

*Edits-Link to attendance zone for middle schools next year.
Stupe
S
Castlegate will be going to MS#3 *

*As of February 2018.
A permanent decision will be made after the CSISD School Board gets their new TI 84 calculators and figures out how to change the makeup of the middle schools by .0000005%
AggieMom_38
Someone posted above the 3 choices given to AMCMS students - Falcons, Bobcats, and Mustangs. One of the elementary schools is already a falcon (seriously... that was an option to be same as an elementary?) and no surprise the kids chose what they already were - a cat. Goodness. If they wanted to truly rebrand away from the HS, maybe not give the kids a choice to stay a cat.

But I have enjoyed reading all these comments!
02skiag
AG
AggieMom_38 said:

Someone posted above the 3 choices given to AMCMS students - Falcons, Bobcats, and Mustangs. One of the elementary schools is already a falcon (seriously... that was an option to be same as an elementary?) and no surprise the kids chose what they already were - a cat. Goodness. If they wanted to truly rebrand away from the HS, maybe not give the kids a choice to stay a cat.

But I have enjoyed reading all these comments!

It's a different type of cat than the HSs and the colors are different as well. I don't think anyone else here understands why using a type of cat is an issue. Can you explain better? The whole point was to not be a Tiger or a Cougar or share their colors. They accomplished that.
AggieMom_38
because they rebranded from being a cat to being a really big cat. Waste of time and money and angst in the community and the outcome is still to be a cat (let's now add "bob" to a bunch of stuff and spend lots of money to do so). Writing this makes it salient to me how silly this rebranding exercise really is/has been

And it also promotes AMCMS connections to the high schools (although both of them) while the other MSs have their own identities and no connections to high schools (heck, if I were a Warhawk or Knight I may think it unfair that the other MS gets the cat connection...) . If we wanted each MS to have an independent identity, seems like not being a cat would make sense. But I truly don't care what they are - I just wish the time and money wasn't going to be spent on such silly things. But that ship has sailed.
02skiag
AG
In agree with you that the whole rebranding is probably a waste. However, if they are doing it, I still fail to see how a different type of cat somehow unfairly ties them to both schools. That's a huge stretch.
veritas47
I'm disappointed in the lack of originality and local flavor in the mascot choices and selections.

Really, what's wrong with The Opticians, or The Groin-pullers, or The Fragile Porcelain Mice, or The Fightin' Amish, or The Blood-Swollen Ticks, or The Velveteen Rabbits, or The Soft Angora Sweater-Wearing Debutantes or The Greasy Ferrets?
ClassicArnold
How did you think of those names? LOL
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.