AMCHS threat via social media

4,889 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TLIAC
Stupe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
KBTX link

I received the email about this on Saturday. Current student and thankfully CSPD acted on it before anything happened.

Our schools are defenseless targets for anyone that wants to cause harm.
Stupe
S
What immediate defenses do they have if someone walks in and starts firing? Be specific.

If this kid was actually going to do something, it was only stopped because he broadcast his plans and CSPD did their job.

What if he hadn't?
AggiePirate
AG
Most places are defenseless. Its horrible. Nice one CSPD. These shooters should target themselves and be done with it.
Stupe
S
Demon 8 said:

but I have a little more faith in our school's security measures and the BCSO officers that patrol them on a daily basis.
What, specifically, are the security measures that are in place?
aggiepaintrain
AG
would like for all teachers to be able to carry asap, with proper training of course.
Stupe
S
There is no way that all would because a lot of the teachers fall into the ridiculous "if we ban something it will makes us more safe" line of thought. Unfortunately.

Ask for volunteers, put them through training, and arm them.

rsa
AG
Stupe said:

There is no way that all would because a lot of the teachers fall into the ridiculous "if we ban something it will makes us more safe" line of thought. Unfortunately.

Lose-lose for those who volunteer. With budgets where they are, they'd be required to foot the bill for their guns & ammo, and for their training. And in the litigious society we live in, if there should be a shooting in their school I can see parents or families of children or faculty shot by the shooter going after any volunteer who didn't fire at the shooter.
Love Gun
Stupe said:

TLIAC
AG
The middle schools and the high schools each have a BCSO deputy assigned to them. They are on campus all day unless they have to step off campus briefly for a meeting. From what I have seen they try to do those after hours. Do the campuses need more officers - yes. They have needed more for several years. I'm sure the district would love to be able to afford the expense to staff each campus with a deputy but I've seen how CS residents complain about every tiny increase in property taxes and that is what it would take to accomplish that. That said, the deputies that are on the campuses currently care a great deal about the kids and I know they will do whatever they have to in order to keep them safe. The administrators that I have worked with also work daily to keep the campuses safe.

As far as arming civilians, keep in mind that they would need to be highly trained in gun safety, shoot/don't shoot and weapons retention. Officers train for almost a full year before they are on their own with a weapon. Think about the risk of putting an under-trained civilian in a school with a campus full of kids. I think they would also need to pass a psychological exam, just like officers do.

And last - you have to get the kids on board. As much as it is preached and preached to the students to not let anyone in the building, you find them opening doors for other students and adults frequently. You almost need to post an adult at each door all day long. That is pretty much impossible when you think about how many doors our schools have.
Stupe
S

Quote:

I'm sure the district would love to be able to afford the expense to staff each campus with a deputy but I've seen how CS residents complain about every tiny increase in property taxes and that is what it would take to accomplish that.
Earmark it specifically for that and I doubt there would be much blowback.

It makes more sense than dumping money into re-branding a middle school.
Quote:

That said, the deputies that are on the campuses currently care a great deal about the kids and I know they will do whatever they have to in order to keep them safe.
I am friends, close friends, with officers and there is not a doubt in my mind that any of them would go down without hesitation if it meant saving just one child. Not a single doubt.

Quote:

And last - you have to get the kids on board. As much as it is preached and preached to the students to not let anyone in the building, you find them opening doors for other students and adults frequently. You almost need to post an adult at each door all day long. That is pretty much impossible when you think about how many doors our schools have.
A shooter wouldn't have to go through a side or back door. There aren't even buzz -in locks on the front doors near the offices.
TLIAC
AG
Stupe said:

Quote:

A shooter wouldn't have to go through a side or back door. There aren't even buzz -in locks on the front doors near the offices.

Very true but at least at the front door you have an adult there that can warn of someone who enters without permission. With the kiddos letting others in, they can roam the building freely until someone asks for an ID.
Stupe
S
TLIAC said:

As far as arming civilians, keep in mind that they would need to be highly trained in gun safety, shoot/don't shoot and weapons retention. Officers train for almost a full year before they are on their own with a weapon. Think about the risk of putting an under-trained civilian in a school with a campus full of kids. I think they would also need to pass a psychological exam, just like officers do.

If there is an active shooter situation, which would their only authorization to arm, then the goal would be to slow down or stop the shooter.

At that point, risk is relative to the situation.

I agree with you on the rest of it.
TLIAC
AG
Stupe said:

TLIAC said:

If there is an active shooter situation, which would their only authorization to arm, then the goal would be to slow down or stop the shooter.

At that point, risk is relative to the situation.

I agree with you on the rest of it.
I don't worry about real incidents with an active shooter, well I do kind of (can they determine who the shooter is, is it safe to shoot without kids in the line of fire etc.). I do worry about their decision making in a non-active shooter situation. Will they have to training to not shoot? I don't totally oppose the idea. It just concerns me to put armed civilians in a school with kids. I would want them to be very, very highly trained.
WoodAg
I like the discussion here. Would always like to see
More safety measures But do like some of the steps that have been taken recently.

I agree with props to the CSPD, however I find it interesting no one is commending the isd. They informed the cspd of the issue initially. Sounds like they did their job, too.
double
AG
I'm concerned with the lack of information. Will this student be in class tomorrow? In class in the future?
TLIAC
AG
double said:

I'm concerned with the lack of information. Will this student be in class tomorrow? In class in the future?
I don't think anyone would expect him to be in class soon however, that information is protected by federal law. School officials can't release information regarding student punishment to anyone, just like law enforcement can't release juvenile information. From what I've seen, school administrators take this very seriously and there are guidelines that they follow to determine their course of action.
Stupe
S
I would be surprised if that student was ever let back into public school.

Lone Stranger
TLIAC.....thank you for your service as the very visible security presence at a local high school until your retirement. I would be interested in your thoughts on the subject of school security. Is generally what you learned and trained for on the subject of school security in line with what you observed to be best practices or did you observe and learn things in the day to day schedule of living it that seem to differ from the manuals or books from the folks delivering the training? Any of that that would be valuable feedback to the district on the subject. Maybe they have already asked you but just thought you might have some thoughts because you were so involved.
Rexter
I've kicked this subject around with some friends, and the consensus is that maybe the schools should ask for volunteers that are reserve officers. The departments could train the reserves, and then those guys could staff the schools. I'd be inclined to give a day every week or two. If enough people could be trained and certified, there wouldn't be an issue if needing more paid officers.
AgGunNut
AG
Seems like the school marshal program approved by the legislature would more precisely fit the bill. The training time is lower, and there aren't as many liabilities and responsibilities associated with it as there are with being a peace officer. As reserve peace officers, the initial training and cost is the same as a full time officer, so an agency paying to train people specifically to be reserves at a school is probably less likely than the district starting a school marshal program.

Here is a link explaining the school marshal program.
https://www.tcole.texas.gov/content/school-marshals
tank92
AG
While our school board is busy spending everyone's money to "rebrand" schools because they feel students are too affected by colors and mascots, some communities are actually addressing the security of their students one classroom at a time

[url]https://usat.ly/2ofK7aS [/url]
WoodAg
Stupe
S
A lot of venom towards the school board?

There have been a couple of posts about the money being spent re-branding of the middle schools.
double
AG
Where did you get information that the FBI is involved? Do you have more details about that?
Oogway
Other than the comment regarding the 'branding,' I haven't seen anything particularly harsh regarding the school board, and even it was fairly mild. I think parents are concerned and want to ensure their children will be safe while at school. That pretty much goes for any time though, not just tragedies such as Sandy Hook, Columbine, and now Parkland.
tank92
AG
There just haven't been very many well thought out decisions by the CSISD school board......we still have campuses at over capacity, and some under utilized with no real plan in place to address this despite a huge amount of time and energy spent on this issue the last several years, we are spending money to change school colors and mascots for no real apparent reason.....a direct quote when I spoke to a current board member a couple of years back in regards to the disparity in the quality of athletic gear and facilities between AMCMS and CSMS was to "speak with the booster clubs" which is now apparently not the tune being sung. And yes, our family has reached out to offer help in organizing something regarding this type of threat. My whole point was to call into question the lack of forward thinking and proper planning our current school board has exhibited these last few years.
aggiepaintrain
AG
These would be a wise investment for any school.

https://fightingchancesolutions.com/

MeKnowNot
I like this one also.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2018/02/20/teen-invents-device-to-will-save-lives-during-shootings-orig-tc.cnn
txgardengirl
School board received a report on CSISD Safety & Security programs at tonight's Meeting

Also - for those with heartburn over changing middle school identity packages - new mascots and colors were announced and CC Creations generously donated all the design work. Thus, money being spent appears to be going for maintenance & uniforms
TAMU1990
AG

[Please start another thread concerning that subject. Thank you. -Staff]
Rexter
AgGunNut said:

Seems like the school marshal program approved by the legislature would more precisely fit the bill. The training time is lower, and there aren't as many liabilities and responsibilities associated with it as there are with being a peace officer. As reserve peace officers, the initial training and cost is the same as a full time officer, so an agency paying to train people specifically to be reserves at a school is probably less likely than the district starting a school marshal program.

Here is a link explaining the school marshal program.
https://www.tcole.texas.gov/content/school-marshals

That would be great. The only catch I saw is that the marshal has to be an employee of the school. Maybe hire the volunteers for $1/yr to get around the expense? I would definitely be interested. I'm pretty sure I could pass a psych test
TLIAC
AG
Lone Stranger said:

TLIAC.....thank you for your service as the very visible security presence at a local high school until your retirement. I would be interested in your thoughts on the subject of school security. Is generally what you learned and trained for on the subject of school security in line with what you observed to be best practices or did you observe and learn things in the day to day schedule of living it that seem to differ from the manuals or books from the folks delivering the training? Any of that that would be valuable feedback to the district on the subject. Maybe they have already asked you but just thought you might have some thoughts because you were so involved.
We had excellent training and were required to attend multiple active shooter training classes. I felt that one of the biggest barriers that I faced were the student's mindset that "that would never happen here." I don't know how many times I would talk to a class after an active shooter drill and they would would tell me that. I would explain that I'm sure that the schools where it had happened had thought the same thing. I told them that my goal - if we had an active shooter - was that no one but the shooter would die and if anyone but the shooter died, it needed to be me. That was my job - to keep them safe. That said, their lack of concern is what would lead to them, on occasion, to let students and others in doors that were not authorized for entry during school hours. During the school day everyone is supposed to enter through the main office and speak with the receptionist first.

CSHS was huge (AMCHS is big also) there are a lot of doors and even with cameras it was hard to watch all of the doors and take care of other matters at the at the same time. I always felt like there needed to be two of me. I can tell you that the current SRO's love their schools as much as the CSPD SRO's did and they will do everything in their power to keep the kids safe but the kids have to be active participants in the overall process. I still sub 2-3 times a month just because I really love my CSHS peeps.
txgardengirl
TLIAC - they did present last night that the Sheriff's office is working to connect with the cameras already in the schools to provide full monitoring in case of a situation.

The district safety update was presented last night - video should be up in a few days.
TLIAC
AG
txgardengirl said:

TLIAC - they did present last night that the Sheriff's office is working to connect with the cameras already in the schools to provide full monitoring in case of a situation.

The district safety update was presented last night - video should be up in a few days.
That will be great to have during an incident.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.