Tennis lessons for my 4 year old

2,291 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by InMyOpinion
dustdust8
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking to start taking my 4 year old to tennis lessons. Does anyone know of a good tennis pro in Bryan/College Station?
kevmiller
Sounds like money well spent
AggieBarstool
How is this a smart idea for a 4 year old? Let the kid be a kid!
Love Gun
1. Ditch the tennis idea
2. Try this...

3. Profit

Thank me later
Oogway
I am sure there are professional instructors in town (i.e. Pebble Creek CC etc), but our kiddos started in the tennis program through the parks & rec dept in College Station. They enjoyed it and as a plus, some of the instructors were from the A&M men's team and that was major props for one of my kiddos. We also did the summer program through CSISD sport camps (they were a little older then) and they liked that too. After they became competent but no threat to the future Feds, Djokovics, and Nadals of this world, they decided to try something new.
Hope this helps and good luck!
jrhmc
AG
Ditto on the Parks and Rec classes. Both of my kids started there before moving to Pebble Creek.
LOYAL AG
AG
Take the advice given here. 4 YO is WAY too young to be spending money on coaching for a kid in any sport.

I just erased the bulk of this post that showed how ridiculously good and passionate my kid was about baseball from 1 year old until he quit at 15. He was "that kid". Those details aren't important at this point. What is important is that you understand that no amount of coaching at 4 YO is going to matter to their future in tennis.

Take the advice above. If your kid loves tennis at 4 then go play tennis with them. Make it about time together at this age. Whether they go all the way or not nothing that happens at 4 YO will impact their future but the time you spend with them at this age will impact your relationship forever. You'll be teaching them that you're 100% in with their goals and will give them your time to help them reach those goals. At this age that's what they need, not better coaching than what you think you can provide.

Last point. At a 6U coaching clinic the presenter asked all of the coaches, "Do you know how a kid spells love?" After 30 seconds of blank stares he said, "T. I. M. E." Best piece of parenting advice I've ever received.
dustdust8
Not looking for him to go pro. Just want someone to teach him how to play.
Oogway
I believe Parks & Rec is having registration now for Spring. I think they start at five years, but they might not quibble about the age since it is learning the basics. (as opposed to league play). As I said before, our kiddos enjoyed it, even our introvert learned how to engage with the instructors. I don't think you have to be a CS resident to participate.

If you truly want one on one instruction, then you may need to call up one of the CCs in town.

Good luck! It's a fun game!

Edit to add- - we primarily participated in the watmer months, I can't remember if my oldest did the Spring session-you might ask about rainouts if you do end up going with the city program.
LOYAL AG
AG
dustdust8 said:

Not looking for him to go pro. Just want someone to teach him how to play.
Let YouTube teach you and you teach him. He's 4. he doesn't need a coach. I'm not trying to be an ass here. Spend an hour online and you can learn everything an 8 year old needs to know which buys your four irreplaceable years.

I coached my son in baseball til he was too good for me but I gave him everything I had first. Some of that came from books and videos I bought because I knew at 6, 7 and 8 he wanted to play with me more than he wanted to be coached. Only you can turn teaching time into play time. As soon as there's a coach it's no longer play time. Trust me. He's too young and you'll never get this time back.
Scruffy
AG
4 yo?!

I'm sorry to tell you but you already missed the boat.
You should have started by 2.

Now he will always be a tennis failure and blame you for not getting him organized and trained earlier.
By the age of 4 muscle memory hand-eye coordination are already set; along with the ability to learn rules and how to act like a primadona to umpires and other authority figures.
Instead of the next jimmy Conner, you have regulated your son to be public court wannabe.

Only thing that might save his career is to begin identifying as a female. That can buy him/her/xe a few more years as females don't need the pure brute force that males do and can try trickery and emotional pleas to gain a victory.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Oogway
Quote:

Now he will always be a tennis failure and blame you for not getting him organized and trained earlier.
By the age of 4 muscle memory hand-eye coordination are already set; along with the ability to learn rules and how to act like a primadona to umpires and other authority figures.
Instead of the next jimmy Conner, you have regulated your son to be public court wannabe.

If his four year old is to be the next Jimmy Connors, then perhaps, but if it is Jimmy Conner then the lad is on the wrong court. Jimmy Conner was a former professional basketball player....
Aust Ag
AG
We just wrapped up lessons in Austin with our 4 yr old. Not the best use of money. He (shocker) has a hard time keeping focus. Wasn't a total wash, learned he has good hand/eye, but will probably revisit at 6.
InMyOpinion
Sounds like a great opportunity for parent child time.

You could have never touched a tennis racket in your life and your 4 year old would still get more out of hitting the ball with you than tennis lessons with a pro.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.