That time of year again, political junk mail

3,336 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by InMyOpinion
BQ_90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
anyway to get my name off of these mailings list?

Got five today in the mail, my guess it'll be that way the next month or so.

75AG
AG
Didn't Kramer go to the Post Office and tell them he wanted to discontinue getting mail? Might try that. Or move to Duck Haven. Our mail is continually late, or non-existant, or mis-delivered.
BQ_90
AG
75AG said:

Didn't Kramer go to the Post Office and tell them he wanted to discontinue getting mail? Might try that. Or move to Duck Haven. Our mail is continually late, or non-existant, or mis-delivered.
Normally I get my neighbors mail, guess they csnt deliver all this junk mail to them
91_Aggie
AG
I never understand getting so angry about getting junk mail. You don't pay extra in garbage disposal for it.

Just toss it in the trash. It literally costs you no more than 5 seconds to sift through and toss out.
BQ_90
AG
Who's angry? I don't want unsolicited mail with my name and address on it and asked a question about getting it stopped.

Stupe
S
I don't mind them using their money to mail that stuff.

However, when they bypass that and stick crap on the door in neighborhoods that have clear "No Soliciting" signs at every entrance, it's almost a guarantee that I won't vote for them.

Kenny Elliot wants me to vote him into a position where he is supposed to interpret and / or enforce laws and he and his people can't even respect basic HOA statutes?

Nope.
75AG
AG
People still put "No Solicitation" signs on their doors? Wow, that's hardcore old school!

EDIT: Sorry. Misread your post
Stupe
S
I actually had one when I lived in a neighborhood that was mostly rental properties.

If someone knocked I would open the door, point at it, and close the door.
cs1
City of College Station has political campaigning as a defense to its solicitation ordinance, so it is not illegal. I don't think the county has a solicitation ordinance for unincorporated areas. Free speech and freedom of association trumps any HOA rule or neighborhood entry sign when there is not a city/county ordinance prohibiting such.

Many city solicitation ordinances either exempt or include a defense for charitable, religious and political activities.

I've worked both ends of this as a former city employee and door-to-door campaigning for candidates. (Not at the same time, before anyone attacks).
biobioprof
cs1 said:

City of College Station has political campaigning as a defense to its solicitation ordinance, so it is not illegal. I don't think the county has a solicitation ordinance for unincorporated areas. Free speech and freedom of association trumps any HOA rule or neighborhood entry sign when there is not a city/county ordinance prohibiting such.

Many city solicitation ordinances either exempt or include a defense for charitable, religious and political activities.

I've worked both ends of this as a former city employee and door-to-door campaigning for candidates.
First amendment does not extend to your right to speak or assemble on my property, esp. when my property is not a public space like a shopping mall. wrt mail, someone who is an actual lawyer can weigh in on

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rowan_v._United_States_Post_Office_Department

Unfortunately, politicians exempt themselves.
cs1
Assembly and association are different things. If a home's front door has a "no soliciting" sign then I've never knocked. But the signs at the neighborhood entries are unenforceable in College Station for charitable or political activities. Private roadways inside gated community with a sign may be different, of which CS has very few.
MosesHallRAB83
AG

"But the signs at the neighborhood entries are unenforceable in College Station for charitable or political activities."

While the public roads in such areas may be true as you say, it does not give you the right to do so on private property.
ChampsAg
If you vote your name is in a database. That is why you get campaign notices. Same reason voters get more jury duty summons.
DeckMe80
Yesterday I found a campaign flyer for Rick Davis (who I wouldn't vote for in a million years) hung on my front doorknob. Which means they trespassed on my property. What is the law on that?
Carnwellag2
BQ_90 said:

Is it that big of a problem to get the mail and throw away what you don't want. Besides they are spending money with the USPS. Which means less tax money does to that losing enterprise.
Carnwellag2
Stupe said:

I actually had one when I lived in a neighborhood that was mostly rental properties.

You sound nice
southerner
AG
ChampsAg said:

If you vote your name is in a database. That is why you get campaign notices. Same reason voters get more jury duty summons.
This. If you want the mail to stop, don't vote.
AgGunNut
AG
They're not trespassing. Unless it's fenced off like a backyard, there's plenty of case law to show, and it's well established, that unless there is some ill intent, your front yard and porch are less private than your back yard and more or less considered public areas. People are allowed to at least come up to your front door and knock.

You must be a thrill when you answer the door for any unannounced friends coming over...
Stupe
S
Carnwellag2 said:

Stupe said:

You sound nice
I know this is a silly little troll attempt, but I'll play.

When an adult person ignores a "No Soliciting" sign that is in plain sight on a front door, only doing that IS being nice.
BQ_90
AG
Carnwellag2 said:

BQ_90 said:

Is it that big of a problem to get the mail and throw away what you don't want. Besides they are spending money with the USPS. Which means less tax money does to that losing enterprise.
I don't want to get unsolicited mail, I asked a simple question if there was a why to stop it.

BQ_90
AG
ChampsAg said:

Don't they also pull from drivers license addresses too?
Stupe
S
Yes.

Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
BQ_90 said:

ChampsAg said:

Don't they also pull from drivers license addresses too?

This can be one reason people get more jury summons. If names are not EXACTLY the same on voter registration and Texas driver license, you're in database for jury selection twice. So if use middle name or initial in one, but not the other, you're listed twice. Twice the jury summons.

Sorry to derail. Continue the discussion of mail I throw away.
biobioprof
BQ_90 said:

Carnwellag2 said:

BQ_90 said:

I don't want to get unsolicited mail, I asked a simple question if there was a why to stop it.

I wonder what would happen if enough people wrote "refused return to sender" on them and put them back in the mail?
Oogway
If you think about it, unless all services are donated, it is quite a few jobs. The money in the campaign might go to someone to design the postcards (for example), a four-color printing company which would order the paper stock from a paper company, and then employ an operator (like a pressman/oversized computer printing machine), and a binder if they are cut from oversize stock. Someone has to drive them or pick them up to be mailed, where they are sorted and then delivered to all the mailboxes or PO boxes. Multiply that times a number of candidates, and it's some work.

Folks can debate whether the money spent is worthwhile....
biobioprof
Oogway said:

If you think about it, unless all services are donated, it is quite a few jobs. The money in the campaign might go to someone to design the postcards (for example), a four-color printing company which would order the paper stock from a paper company, and then employ an operator (like a pressman/oversized computer printing machine), and a binder if they are cut from oversize stock. Someone has to drive them or pick them up to be mailed, where they are sorted and then delivered to all the mailboxes or PO boxes. Multiply that times a number of candidates, and it's some work.

Folks can debate whether the money spent is worthwhile....
Broken window fallacy.
lost my dog
BQ_90 said:

Carnwellag2 said:

BQ_90 said:

Short answer: no

The USPS is not going to keep a list for every person of what mail they do and don't want to get.
Oogway
Well, yes. But like I said, y'all can debate that all you want. There are a lot of jobs that fall under that description.
w8liftr
I moved out to Grimes county last year, yet I get at least one piece of mail a day from John Raney and at least one every other day from Rick Davis or some other Brazos county candidate. I understand they're using my forwarding address but apparently can't figure out that I won't vote for them because I can't legally (although, that's never stopped anyone).
dallasiteinsa02
If you come to my door and solicit my vote, you will not get it.
OnlyANobody
dallasiteinsa02 said:

That is one type of canvassing or door knocking that actually doesn't bother me. I don't mind meeting candidates and having some time to visit with them personally. Especially if there are people whom I know nothing about running. I get it - they are on their best behavior and try to answer in a way that we might find pleasing. But, it can also be the only real face to face exposure we get with some of them.

That and Girl Scouts selling cookies. I like that too....
Stupe
S
Same here. That doesn't bother me because I can ask them a point blank question and see how they answer.
91_Aggie
AG
If you really don't want to get the mail, I bet you could call or write to each candidate and tell them to remove your name from their mailings, or read the small print at the bottom that usually says who is sending the flyer and you can call them and have them remove your name from the list.

I'm sure that is great use of your time and effort.

AgFan131
I want to vote against Raney due to his garbage mail. Only hear from the guy around election time...and he lives in my neighborhood. Ha!
75AG
AG
dallasiteinsa02 said:

How can anyone disparage a candidate who will get out and meet his constituents?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.