Local elections

3,467 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by kraut
AgTrip
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Where's the best place to get information on candidates for the local elections? I want to be more informed about where they stand on issues.
waterchick
http://www.brazosvotes.org/ has a sample ballot with all candidates, propositions, etc.

I've heard a few announcements on radio about the Chamber of Commerce candidates forum next week:
http://business.bcschamber.org/events/details/local-candidates-forum-february-2018-1364
biobioprof
I want to know who is paying for the robocall polling so I can vote against them.
jac4
AG
egret said:

http://www.brazosvotes.org/ has a sample ballot with all candidates, propositions, etc.

I've heard a few announcements on radio about the Chamber of Commerce candidates forum next week:
http://business.bcschamber.org/events/details/local-candidates-forum-february-2018-1364

I followed that link to see that Larry Kilgore is on the Republican primary ballot again for governor. Apparently he has also changed his name to SECEDE Kilgore. In all caps, no less.
KidDoc
AG
On the Brazos Votes website when you click on information about the election you get a page not found error.

The sample ballot for Republican has some weird stuff on it. Like "Do you think abortion should be abolished in Texas?". So if the majority votes yes what happens? It isn't like this is a law, it is almost like they are using it as a public opinion survey tool.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
75AG
AG
KidDoc said:

On the Brazos Votes website when you click on information about the election you get a page not found error.

The sample ballot for Republican has some weird stuff on it. Like "Do you think abortion should be abolished in Texas?". So if the majority votes yes what happens? It isn't like this is a law, it is almost like they are using it as a public opinion survey tool.
That's all it is: a chance for voters to express their concerns through a ballot. That said, these opinions will be used to initiate and support legislation in the 2019 session.
himynameismattd
KAMU is hosting their candidate forum tonight at 7 PM. There's a list of races participating on their website.
KidDoc
AG
I've been trying to find information about the locals like District Clerk, JP-- really hard to find anything outside of some of their websites which obviously are biased.

I can find the sample ballot and list of names, but not much beyond that. Frustrating.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
GSS
KidDoc said:

I've been trying to find information about the locals like District Clerk, JP-- really hard to find anything outside of some of their websites which obviously are biased.

I can find the sample ballot and list of names, but not much beyond that. Frustrating.
Try the old-fashioned way...the Eagle has had daily write-ups on the local races. And you can be a cool hipster, and read it online , so that there is no evidence where you got the info.
KidDoc
AG
GSS said:

KidDoc said:

Try the old-fashioned way...the Eagle has had daily write-ups on the local races. And you can be a cool hipster, and read it online , so that there is no evidence where you got the info.

Yeah I've been combing the Eagle on-line and still tough to find stuff. The article about the district clerks that did not come to a jury summons is pretty funny though.

http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/records-of-brazos-county-district-clerk-candidates-did-not-respond/article_e54278d7-00d4-5388-add5-c03cbde83e12.html

Also learned that you can get up to 6 months in jail for not going to a jury summons, that is crazy.
The Original AG 76
AG
75AG said:

KidDoc said:

That's all it is: a chance for voters to express their concerns through a ballot. That said, these opinions will be used to initiate and support legislation in the 2019 session.
These so-called propositions are meaningless feel good wastes of time. I have helped to write them in the past and , at one time, worked to have a few put on the ballot. No matter the result they are totally ignored and are only used as feel good " see we are doing something" by party leaders to placate the masses. On multiple occasions we have voted OVERWHELMINGLY ( 97%ish) for such things as lowered appraisal caps only to have the issue die a miserable death in the legislature WHILE our reps and senators stumble all over each other proclaiming support for the " will of the people".
Tell your SREC member ( who puts this crap on the primary ballots) to QUIT playing baby legislatures and STRICTLY concentrate on running the primaries and growing the party ..THAT is their ONLY legitimate jobs not passing feel good useless pablum for the masses.
And to answer the original question.... The props have no official status. They do not have ANY legal status. They are simply glorified opinion ]polls put on a party primary ballot so that party primary voters can express an opinion via their vote. Once passed they simply slide into oblivion or perhaps are used to create Platform Planks for the equally meaningless party platform created at the party conventions.

RANT OVER
KidDoc
AG
Ok finding some info slowly, here is the Repubilcan JoP Pct 2 article.

http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/three-to-challenge-incumbent-munoz-for-precinct-justice-of-the/article_e393df0c-d3c3-5efd-89f8-07c9e78c25cf.html

JoP Pct 1
http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/gop-candidates-for-precinct-justice-of-the-peace-tout-experience/article_3987e1ec-e715-5a2b-bca8-5e79fd8cd7d0.html
rockelle
Be wary of the Eagle's articles and editorial selections. Clearly they have an ax to grind on some of the candidates.

But, it is hard to find much info on the candidates.
Carnwellag2
Looks like Timothy Delassandro is finally going to win an election - by default.

God help us
kraut
AG
Carnwellag2 said:

Looks like Timothy Delassandro is finally going to win an election - by default.

God help us
He's the only name on the republican primary that will be running against Irma Cauley (D), incumbent county commissioner in Precinct 4. I don't think he has a chance to win.

Does he keep moving around the B/CS area in order to run for these offices?
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
we can't be the only town in the USA that seems to recycle the same ol names every single election.
Stupe
S
Why does that name raise a flag to me?
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

we can't be the only town in the USA that seems to recycle the same ol names every single election.
We're not. I remember in Houston a guy named "Griff" Griffin that had a billboard he kept up for years. And was on the ballot for city council every year.

One example.
TLIAC
AG
rockelle said:

Be wary of the Eagle's articles and editorial selections. Clearly they have an ax to grind on some of the candidates.

But, it is hard to find much info on the candidates.

I actually agreed with most of their choices this time.
TLIAC
AG
Stupe said:

Why does that name raise a flag to me?

Because he has been on the ballot for one office or another for years and years and years and years.
Stupe
S
There is something specific about him and I can't remember what it was. Google an KBTX searches didn't help any.
Stupe
S
Was he one of the people driving the special elections a few years ago because he didn't get his way?
kraut
AG
Stupe said:

Was he one of the people driving the special elections a few years ago because he didn't get his way?
Search his name on this forum, how time flies....

Welborn annexation and recall election
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.