Mexican food tonight

6,921 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Mr_mo8268
Aggiewife64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Want suggestions on where to go in BCS or Navasota
KidDoc
AG
I'm more of a Tex-Mex fan so Abuelo's and Chuy's are my typical go-to.

Mad Taco is pretty amazing but not typical Mexican food either. People will likely suggest Pappa Perez in Bryan which I really don't like- very bland IMO.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sinuso
AG
Chuy's sucks out loud. It's a chain and it's about as Mexican as Olive Garden is Italian. In Navasota, you can't go wrong with LaCasita. BCS, Mi Cocina, Yole.
Captn_Ag05
AG
For chains, I like Lupe Tortilla way more than Chuy's.
91_Aggie
AG
Chuys tastes exactly like the frozen Mexican dinners I bought at Kroger when I was in college.
KidDoc
AG
Good all of you haters stay away from Chuy so I can get a table sometimes!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Captn_Ag05
AG
KidDoc said:

Good all of you haters stay away from Chuy so I can get a table sometimes!
The creamy jalapeno dip makes the sub-par food almost worth it!
JP76
Casa Rodriguez
gettingitdone
Casa Rodriguez or La Carreta
biobioprof
Depends on what you mean by Mexican food. I can think of multiple definitions depending on my mood:
  • Excuse to drink frozen margaritas: Ninfas
  • Hipster tacos: Mad Taco (also good for margaritas)
  • Old school Tex Mex: Casa Rod? Los Cucos?
  • More authentic: Taqueria Arandas, a bunch of smaller places in Bryan

I miss Los Molcajetes.

The divergence of the Yelp reviews of many of these are amusing.
TransplantedRedRaider
For authentic Mexican food, we like San Jose in Downtown Bryan. It is not TexMex. If that's what you like, you'll be disappointed. My favorite dish is the Morrara Frito (sp?) It is a whole fried fish, and it is delish!

The chips are good, and they don't kid around about the salsa. It is HOT!
jskin261
El Tio in Bryan
oklaunion
El Sol at MLK and Texas.
Builder93
AG
Casa Rod is overrated.

I think Jesse's or La Carreta is the most authentic South Texas Tex Mex in town but neither are open for dinner.
Oddity
oklaunion said:

El Sol at MLK and Texas.

There's a place that's off of MLK surrounded by warehouses and a lot of cats. I don't know the name, but they have amazing food. Perhaps, the best authentic Mexican food in town.
carpe vinum
AG
Fajitas ala Barry at Ninfa's is one of my favorite things in the world, but for mexican I usually hit la casita in Navasota.
Aggiewife64
Ended up going to Los Cucos... thumbs down
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Chuys isn't great by any means but it's not as bad as some of you let on.
halibut sinclair
Aggiewife64 said:

Bryan or CS location?
Cancelled
AG
Builder93 said:

Casa Rod is overrated.

I think Jesse's or La Carreta is the most authentic South Texas Tex Mex in town but neither are open for dinner.

Big time. It is not good. I've given it multiple chances. It's just another BCS restaurant that lives on name alone. There are several.
Aggiewife64
halibut sinclair said:

Aggiewife64 said:

Bryan or CS location?
College station
bushytailed
AG
I've never understood the love for Casa Rod.

I like Chuys for the New Mexican style Mexican food. Hatch green chile, stacked blue corn enchiladas topped with a fried egg, etc. Having lived in Austin for quite a few years, I remember when Chuys was just a local restaurant with just a few Austin-area locations.

Jesse's has the hands-down best carne guisada in town. TBH, everything is great there.

El Sol is also good for authentic Mexican food. The newer location is at TX/VM.
Love Gun
Just get a few pounds of fajitas marinada at La Michoacana grocery in Bryan and throw it on the grill. Best fajitas ever. They'll melt in your mouth. It usually goes for around $8 a pound, but it is amazing.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
I lived in Mexico for a year and think Chuy's is awesome. You just have an irrational hatred of chain restaurants if you don't think their food is good.
halibut sinclair
Aggiewife64 said:

halibut sinclair said:

Aggiewife64 said:

Bryan or CS location?
College station
There's your problem. The Bryan location is much better.
nonag97
Admittedly, I have not been to every 'mexican' establishment, but sadly, and strangely, we seem almost completely devoid of real Mexican food in this town. El Sol and Arrandas are about as close as we get. And the Tex-Mex here ranges from not good at all to mediocre. Can't agree more on how overrated Casa Rod is, it baffles me why it is always recommended, it is not good.

I really miss Tampico.
FlyRod
I agree re lack of genuinely good places. Having said that, a lot of places have genuinely good individual items worth seeking out...tacos at El Tio, menudo and pozole at Sal's Garpez, and many others to be sure.
nonag97
FlyRod said:

I agree re lack of genuinely good places. Having said that, a lot of places have genuinely good individual items worth seeking out...tacos at El Tio, menudo and pozole at Sal's Garpez, and many others to be sure.
This is true, there are several places that do one or two items very well, but as a whole are perhaps lackluster. Even Los Cucos has (or maybe had) a chicken soup that was pretty out of this world.

While I'm here, I'll give a thumbs up to La Michoacana on Texas at Coulter. Really amazing tacos! If you don't speak Spanish be prepared to point, but I promise it'll be worth the hassle.
halibut sinclair
Anyone ever been to Taquerias Arandas on Texas in Bryan? Their menu has some interesting items, but I haven't given them a try.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
nonag97 said:

Admittedly, I have not been to every 'mexican' establishment, but sadly, and strangely, we seem almost completely devoid of real Mexican food in this town. El Sol and Arrandas are about as close as we get. And the Tex-Mex here ranges from not good at all to mediocre. Can't agree more on how overrated Casa Rod is, it baffles me why it is always recommended, it is not good.

I really miss Tampico.

Try Raspas El Payasito in Bryan. The tables are plastic and the waitress barely understands English but the food is 10/10 and the guy outside has the best helotes (corn in a cup) I've ever had.
motherrunnersBCS
TX-Mex = Jose's on TX Ave., Bryan.

Great chips/salsa. They will warn you that the fajitas are not what you expect. But the meat is very good. Also, anything with chicken I have had there is very good.
Oddity
There is a red taco truck on the corner of 2818 and Leonard Road that has good quesadillas.
Eliminatus
AG
halibut sinclair said:

Anyone ever been to Taquerias Arandas on Texas in Bryan? Their menu has some interesting items, but I haven't given them a try.
They are good. I would not call them the best but I found them competitive on all aspects with the others listed here.
Kitten With A Whip
I still like our trusty Casa Ole for some good ol' Tex Mex... Enchiladas, tacos, fajitas, rice, beans, red and green sauce, etc. Standard Mexican fare that tastes good! There's good reason why they are still open after 30+ years in B/CS. If this is what you're looking for, this is the place I recommend.

I will say that I used to LOVE Gina's and Los Nortenos downtown. They had really great standard Tex Mex Mexican food, but both are long gone. Casa Ole fills that void for us.
jja79
AG
You're going to love Gringo's. Nothing says authentic like a cheese puff.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.