Small "critter" loose in our house.

1,938 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by eloc62
eloc62
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So our young male cat has started to go out at night and hunt for small rodents to bring back to our house as trophies .last night he brought in a mouse through the pet door that got away from him before he killed it and is now loose in our house. we have set some traps and hope to catch him before he dies in the house and starts to smell. don't know what else to do. needless to say, the pet door has now been closed at night when i go to bed to prevent this from happening again. from now on he can keep that stuff outside. What's the best way to track down and eliminate this critter? any recs?
LOYAL AG
AG
Did you put traps in the attic? We had a run a couple of years ago where we caught about 15 mice in about a year and most were caught in the garage and attic. We didn't even use bait. We just put them where they're most likely to run which is along the walls and on the joists in the attic.
JaneDoe02
AG
Glue traps work the best
RJ3
AG
I've killed a lot of rats in my life and to catch a rat you gotta think like a rat. Look for any evidence of where you think you might see a evidence of activity. Droppings are the easiest and also look for any grease/rub marks on trails in the house. If you hear any scratching in the ceiling than it means they are in the attic and you might want to check the insulation for any of their trails(looks like a zig zag tunnel), or check the AC duct for their foot prints since the duct will most likely have a good amount of dust on them.

When you set the traps, be sure to put them perpendicular to the walls and have the bait side up against the wall, rats and mice have poor eye sight and use their whiskers to navigate along the walls. I am a firm believer in the classic wooden snap traps and peanut butter as bait, they've just always been efficient. Be careful with them, they hurt if they snap on your hand.

If all else fails, call a professional. We are here to help and deal with them on a daily basis.

If you have any questions give me a shout bojenkins@goanteater.com

Oogway
Wait a minute, wait a minute, let me get this straight: you are now shutting the pet door at night with the cat (predator) outside and the mouse (prey) is now shut inside and you want to know how to get rid of the mouse?

(Just giving you a hard time) seriously, what rj3 advises is solid, and maybe put a bell on your cat to give the birdies a chance....
Rex Racer
AG
Mouse trap with creamy peanut butter. You'll catch it the first night. Mice LOVE that stuff.
TLIAC
AG
Rex Racer said:

Mouse trap with creamy peanut butter. You'll catch it the first night. Mice LOVE that stuff.
This or glue trap with peanut butter in the middle. With the glue trap you would have to worry about the cat getting stuck on it.

On another note, I'm very disappointed. I was sure when I read the title of the post that at least one poster would tell you to burn down the house.
newsjunkie
Quote:

On another note, I'm very disappointed. I was sure when I read the title of the post that at least one poster would tell you to burn down the house.
I'm pretty sure this is only for spiders!
BrazosDog02
AG
Is you cat's name Tom? I think I've seen this episode.
eloc62
Thanks as always for the response. Oogway., cat is in the house the whole day and early evening.I only put down down the block when i go to bed. what's weird is that he can find that mouse at night out in a large field, but can't seem to locate it in our 2000 ft. house. LOYAL AG, thanks. putting traps in attic tomorrow. already using peanut butter on traps. learned that a long time ago. now settling in for battle, channeling my inner Bugs Bunny and his famous line, "Of course, you know, this means war!"
eloc62
Rj3, thanks for the advice. If i don't see any end result in a few days, will contact you to make a clean sweep of the house just to make sure.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.