Suddenlink data usage warning --- no one home!

7,478 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Goose83
rc_cat
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We just got a warning from Suddenlink telling us we'd used 70% of our available data - so I checked our account online. The graph showed that on Wednesday, 1/31, we used 173 gig of data. The only problem with that is - I was out of town nowhere near Texas and the other half was at work from 8 am to 9 pm. The most data we'd ever used was around 150 gig last March.

So, I went ahead and changed the wifi password, just in case - but wanted to see if anyone else has had something similar happen.

Thanks.
AG @ HEART
Someone get ahold of your WiFi?
rc_cat
AG @ HEART said:

Someone get ahold of your WiFi?
Always possible - but just for the one day - it was password protected, but, like I said, we changed the password just in case. If someone did "borrow" - there was more than one person/device to use that much data in one day.
lockett93
AG
More likely is a desktop connected to the router has a virus/bot?
rc_cat
The laptop connected to the router was turned off from 1/27 - 2/2.
UglyScientist
We used to have that issue before we switched to unlimited data with them. Definitely had a few days where we'd supposedly use an insane amount of data despite no one being home for majority of the day or even being out of town.
Stupe
S
I'm impressed that the router worked that long uninterrupted.
jrhmc
AG
We also had that issue before we switched to unlimited data.
TheAlarmGuy
jrhmc said:

How much more was the unlimited plan?
Jim65
AG
Similar problem at our house as OP. We use a password peotected net. We stream about 2 hours of movie per day and spend maybe 2 additional hours per day on internet or email. Usual daily usage is in the 3-6 gig range. On 1/31/18, our usage showed some ridiculous amount like 130 to 150 gigs used. Called Suddenlink and got no help or explanation. Rechecked our usage TODAY and the monthly and daily graphs had been changed to show ZERO usage on 1/31/18 and total usage for this billing period at a reasonable 75 gigs. Something screwy is going on at Suddenlink. Will visit them in person on Monday to see if they can explain this.
jimmyb
Last month, it spiked for me by 240percent. Never got 70 percent usage prior - Dec was 110G, Jan 247G and as of now 107G (43percent) for Feb (with about 25percent left in billing cycle - corrected - bill cycles on Feb 11). Recently started viewing PBS newshour online.. but thats it.
ukbb2003
Isn't that the day that Suddenlink had an outage? I think something messed up on their end.
Belton Ag
AG
Just got that message yesterday as well. Said we had used 70% of our data already.
jrhmc
AG
TheAlarmGuy said:

jrhmc said:

How much more was the unlimited plan?

It was a long time ago but we pay $78.60 for 250mbps and unlimited now.
isitjustme
AG
We got that message also, and like one of the other posters, a 1/31 usage of 67 gb shown yesterday shows a usage of 0 today. They obviously received a lot of calls and figured they screwed up and corrected it by zeroing out 1/31.
unmade bed
I got the same message. We never use that much data. Figured it was an error. Sounds like it was
rc_cat
So, I just checked again and we are zeroed out for 1/31 just like everyone else! Gotta love Suddenlink (or not). Thanks, everyone, for your help.
MisterShipWreck
Yes, I have zero for 1-31 and 2-1-18, and I didn't complain. When I looked yesterday, it had data used (and I did use the internet). Interesting...
Post removed:
by user
techno-ag
AG
First Atmos spikes, and now Suddenlink.

RockofAges
looks like suddenlink has a new way to get you all to upgrade to the next plan up for more $$$
rc_cat
Rocko***es said:

looks like suddenlink has a new way to get you all to upgrade to the next plan up for more $$$
That's what the other half thought - especially after other people on here had the same issue - that it was a marketing ploy to get us to upgrade.
TexasAggie_02
AG
get a router that allows you to track usage by device. I had some crazy high usage once, and when i looked in my router settings, it was the DirecTV. What i found online was that it will sometimes download trailers and crap that it thinks you might like based on your history. I blocked the DirecTV from accessing the internet and fixed the problem.

Another thing to think about is do you have an xbox or PS4 in your home, and is it set to automatic updates? A lot of times, updates come out on tuesday. If you have multiple games updating in the same day, then that would run up a lot of data, especially if its DLC (downloadable content, ie, major update)
Goose83
AG
Glad to see I wasn't the only one that got the message last week as well. As others said, must have been a glitch in the system that day.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.