Anyone else tried OMG Seafood?

12,834 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BCStalk
Kitten With A Whip
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A friend and I hit the drive-thru Sunday afternoon and the place was packed and quite a line. That should have been our first clue to maybe come back another time, but 58 minutes later we were handed our food and we were off to the house to try it out!

We ordered the catfish & shrimp plate and split the 2 fillets and 8 shrimp, fries and a biscuit, between us. The fish was really good, fries were good [crinkle cut] with some sort of cajun seasoning. The biscuit was just a plain old pull-apart type biscuit and the shrimp seemed really overcooked. They were out of menu's, so I can't say what all they have to offer, but when they opened the drive-thru window, the smell was divine! She did say they had some really good cajun sausage and gumbo, so I'm guessing that's what we were smelling. Overall, not great, but I chalk most of up to lack of experience or possibly just being overwhelmed with business. Will definitely go back for more catfish at some point down the road and maybe try something else, as well.

Btw, if you dine inside, DO NOT park along the back fence. The drive through diners will have you blocked in and not everyone is as nice as I am to trapped drivers... and sometimes, there is just no way out.

Any other experiences?
bbon88
We went to OMG Seafood Tuesday night, and the wait inside to order was too long. The cashier was trying to handle the window and counter taking orders. The food was mostly great. We got the Aggie bag of shrimp with corn and potato and the gumbo. The shrimp were large, well seasoned, and cooked just right. The potato and corn were overcooked. The gumbo was very good with lots of seafood. We will go back.
Sinuso
AG
Catfish =/= seafood
gettingitdone
I saw a comment on FB that the boiled/steamed food is very very spicy. Does anyone else have this opinion? I ask because I really don't do spicy, but would really like to try this place.
jimmyb
Went at 3:30 today. Line still at door and no parking - parked in lot beside LJS. Twenty mins to get to cashier while they were doing drives thru 2x as fast. They did add a second cashier as I got to the counter.
Out of gumbo. Only another 10 mins for meal. FRied shrimp cooked correctly. And someone else had an aggie bag. French-fries were steak cut today.

As far as spicy goes - only saw one person leave kind of sniffling.. and person with me that had a Abag said not too spicy.. just a little hit.
idk
CS78
Tried calling in an order but no answer. Maybe in the future.
chloelee
Tried to go at lunch yesterday, no parking and line out the door. They open at 12, and I was there at 12:05.
Will try another time.
gettingitdone
Tried to go last night,,,the line was out the door and the drive thru line was just as bad. Will try and go another time...probably after Lent. They are definitely going to have to get a bigger place.
jimmyb
Didn't see the phone get picked up once when I was there. But, I didn't hear it ring either
Captn_Ag05
AG
KBTX visited there yesterday morning. Made me hungry!

http://www.kbtx.com/content/news/OMG-Seafood-now-open-in-Bryan-472359623.html
Eliminatus
AG
gettingitdone said:

I saw a comment on FB that the boiled/steamed food is very very spicy. Does anyone else have this opinion? I ask because I really don't do spicy, but would really like to try this place.
Welp, there is my red cloth waving in my face. Have to try this place now. I am the opposite. LOVE spicy food. But rarely do I get the level I am looking for. I leave places all the time butthurt because their "spicy"stuff won't even leave the slightest lip tingle.
Cancelled
AG
Seriously, another Cajun restaurant in BCS? How many failed Cajun restaurants are we going to have? I hope this place doesn't fail, but I've lived here off and on for since 1994 and there must have been one every year. It's like a phenomenon for this town.

The funny thing is that none of them were bad. They were there one day and gone the next. The only one that had any true staying power was Hebert's. I wish these guys good luck, but I am just fascinated by this topic.
Kitten With A Whip
Eliminatus said:

gettingitdone said:

Welp, there is my red cloth waving in my face. Have to try this place now. I am the opposite. LOVE spicy food. But rarely do I get the level I am looking for. I leave places all the time butthurt because their "spicy"stuff won't even leave the slightest lip tingle.
I can tell you the fried catfish and shrimp were not spicy and the fries, while they did have some sort of Cajun seasoning, was not anything that would leave your lips tingling. I'm just the opposite of you. I'm a wuss about spice and the fries were perfect for me, flavorful, but no burn.
jja79
AG
Remnant from Nawlins Israel ably priced and really good IMO.
studioone

They need to change their name to 'OMG Cajun Seafood'..

when i saw it, i was thinking.. 'Yay.. finally raw oysters, clams, scallops, lobster, sea urchin roe, etc''...

the things you see on the food network... good stuff..
Cancelled
AG
Remnant is good for what it is. Not much to it, but tasty.
australopithecus robustus
You thought they would have those items, in that location, building and with that name? All due respect that's a little silly. I hope you're joking
AgFan131
studioone said:

They need to change their name to 'OMG Cajun Seafood'..

when i saw it, i was thinking.. 'Yay.. finally raw oysters, clams, scallops, lobster, sea urchin roe, etc''...

the things you see on the food network... good stuff..

studioone
australopithecus robustus said:

You thought they would have those items, in that location, building and with that name? All due respect that's a little silly. I hope you're joking

not really... i dont know what the location or building is.. and sea food means food from the SEA.... pretty much everything that cajun place serves is freshwater.. so sea food means, to me, saltwater critters...

i dream...

jimmyb
jimmyb
Seen the sign?

https://imgur.com/DCGDlWt
JayHowdy!
I tried it the other day. I had to wait five minutes to order for a late lunch around 1pm. I ordered the Aggie Bag. The shrimp were spiced, but not to heavily. Corn and potatoes were cooked very well and not to spicy as well. I recommend giving it a try. I will go back again.
Tailgate88
AG
CN
Is there still a long wait during the weekday? Is it better to wait until after 1pm? I'd like to try it but it'd take 20 minutes just to get there from work.
Aggie
AG
Tried it tonight and had the shrimp bag with sausage added.
Food was ok..Shrimp was overlooked.
Bag itself had about a 3-1 ratio of potatoes to corn. Just had 1 small ear corn.
It wasn't spicy to me at all.. But I like spicy food. In fact even added a little red pepper to the bag when I got home.
With the sausage added it ran me $12 which I though was a tad on steep side.
I'll likely give it another try but probably try one the fried items.
Be nice if they offered an etouffe
australopithecus robustus
$12 is pretty reasonable for anything shrimp if you ask me. Those guys probably pay $6/lb for the shrimp, put labor into preparation, pay utilities, insurance, telephone, rent of probably $2500/month, taxes, etc. I'd say they did a good job to deliver your bag for $12.
woodiewood1
Sinuso said:

Catfish =/= seafood

Much of the shrimp and fish these days is also not technically seafood.
AggiePhil
AG
Tried it yesterday. Food was pretty good but too spicy for the wife and kids. Given how far it is from south CS and the fact we had to wait 30 minutes in the drive-thru, I doubt I'll make it there very often. That being said, the food was good and they were hustling so no complaints there really.
M2Spider
AG
Tried it. Fried shrimp was good but nothing special and too spicy for the wife, after we were told that the shrimp wouldn't be spicy. She doesn't do spicy at all.

Parking is abysmal. We went on Sunday afternoon so could park at the car wash across the street. Hate to see what it's like during the week. May or may not go back
kevmiller
AggiePhil said:

Given how far it is from south CS .

Yeah that 10-15 minute drive is a real *****.

Why do people who live in south CS think anytime they have to venture more than 5 minutes from their house it's " too far"

You can get from any point in college station to any point in Bryan in a reasonable amount of time
MosesHallRAB83
AG
it's a millennial thing
PS3D
kevmiller said:

AggiePhil said:

Why do people who live in south CS think anytime they have to venture more than 5 minutes from their house it's " too far"

You can get from any point in college station to any point in Bryan in a reasonable amount of time
Actually, from 2713 Greens Prairie Road (a generic placesetter for "south CS") to OMG Seafood is 15-20 minutes, and that's from checking it just now on Google Maps close to midnight. Try rush hour and that's probably closer to 30-40 minutes. As a point of comparison, if you drive from downtown Bryan on Texas Avenue to William D. Fitch, you've covered about the same distance of driving from one end from Houston's 610 Loop to the other (through it, not around it).
MosesHallRAB83
AG
I'm calling bs on this. there is no way that distance comparison is accurate.

If you think the distance from downtown Bryan to SCS is the same as the diameter of the 610 loop, well I have some things you might be interested in.

I take cash. No questions asked.
MosesHallRAB83
AG
DWren
PS3D said:

kevmiller said:

AggiePhil said:

Actually, from 2713 Greens Prairie Road (a generic placesetter for "south CS") to OMG Seafood is 15-20 minutes, and that's from checking it just now on Google Maps close to midnight. Try rush hour and that's probably closer to 30-40 minutes. As a point of comparison, if you drive from downtown Bryan on Texas Avenue to William D. Fitch, you've covered about the same distance of driving from one end from Houston's 610 Loop to the other (through it, not around it).

From north Bryan you could get to Navasota inside of 40 minutes any time of day.
From south college station you could get to Hearne inside of 40 minutes anytime of day.

From downtown Bryan to HWY 6/ William D Fitch intersection going down Texas Ave is 12 miles. ... Not exactly 610 loop worthy lol
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.