Anyone else tried OMG Seafood?

12,943 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BCStalk
AggiePhil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It normally isn't a big deal. But given the amount of traffic on the roads at dinner time and the fact that OMG is on Texas (harder to get to from the east or west sides of town), it takes a long time. Especially considering how long you have to wait once you get there. It is what it is but all in all, it took us over an hour to go from Wellborn/Rock Prairie to OMG, order food, and get back.
jja79
AG
Sounds like a lot of people need to move to a 1 light town to avoid the snarl and gridlock that is BCS.
PS3D
DWren said:

PS3D said:

kevmiller said:

AggiePhil said:

Given how far it is from south CS .

Yeah that 10-15 minute drive is a real *****.

Why do people who live in south CS think anytime they have to venture more than 5 minutes from their house it's " too far"

You can get from any point in college station to any point in Bryan in a reasonable amount of time
Actually, from 2713 Greens Prairie Road (a generic placesetter for "south CS") to OMG Seafood is 15-20 minutes, and that's from checking it just now on Google Maps close to midnight. Try rush hour and that's probably closer to 30-40 minutes. As a point of comparison, if you drive from downtown Bryan on Texas Avenue to William D. Fitch, you've covered about the same distance of driving from one end from Houston's 610 Loop to the other (through it, not around it).

From north Bryan you could get to Navasota inside of 40 minutes any time of day.
From south college station you could get to Hearne inside of 40 minutes anytime of day.

From downtown Bryan to HWY 6/ William D Fitch intersection going down Texas Ave is 12 miles. ... Not exactly 610 loop worthy lol
At any point in the Inner Loop in Houston you are less than five miles from the 610 freeway (as the crow flies). Distance-wise that is fact.

That's not saying that we have Houston-level traffic (yes, getting anywhere in the Loop in "10-15 minutes" is fantasy, even in non-peak hours) but the outward growth of College Station and the ever-increasing traffic isn't to be scoffed at.
PS3D
MosesHallRAB83 said:

I'm calling bs on this. there is no way that distance comparison is accurate.

If you think the distance from downtown Bryan to SCS is the same as the diameter of the 610 loop, well I have some things you might be interested in.

I take cash. No questions asked.
Amazing, isn't it?

https://imgur.com/a/U6DGH

It doesn't feel that way because College Station-Bryan is not nearly as wide as it is long, and beyond Nantucket and Downtown Bryan, there's just not a whole lot there.
The Anchor
AG
I still haven't tried this place. But, I drove by at 3:40 and the place was PACKED. It must be good.
Goose83
AG
queso1 said:

The only one that had any true staying power was Hebert's.
God, I wish Hebert's would come back. Their Jambalaya was to die for.
Oogway
My spouse would agree with you; was a favorite.
woodiewood1
I drive about 25,000 miles a year in the BCS area and you can get from anywhere in Bryan and College Station in about 15 to 20 minutes or less if you know what you are doing. Hearne is about 20 to 25 minutes and Navasota is about the same from most anywhere in BCS.

Now if you insist on driving down Texas Avenue from north Bryan to Tower Point at noon or from about 4pm to 7pm, or insist on driving on Wellborn road or University drive, yes it will take longer.

What do people do when they get home from dining out that is so important that they cannot take 15 minutes to go to and back from a restaurant?

CS78
woodiewood1 said:

What do people do when they get home from dining out that is so important that they cannot take 15 minutes to go to and back from a restaurant?
Know how I know you don't have young kids?
studioone
CS78 said:

woodiewood1 said:

Amen to that...
Kitten With A Whip
CS78 said:

woodiewood1 said:

Babysitters know how to feed, bathe and put young kids to bed. I imagine most of them can manage to read a story or two, as well. I did it plenty of times when I was in college.
AggiePhil
AG
OMG was good but definitely not good enough to hire a babysitter for. LOL
Kitten With A Whip
AggiePhil said:

OMG was good but definitely not good enough to hire a babysitter for. LOL
Well, then don't go, but don't blame it on your kids.

The Anchor
AG
Just had lunch there. They will likely break the curse for that spot!

Everything was great. Staff was great. The food was great. The price was great.

I had a pound of crawfish and the fried shrimp basket. The crawfish had excellent flavor. The shrimp batter was delicious. My total was $15.11.

My only complaint, and it is VERY minor, is that they don't serve water. You have to buy a bottle. It was only a $1 a bottle; so it was not a big deal.

I highly recommend this place.
The Original AG 76
AG
The Anchor said:

I had a pound of crawfish and the fried shrimp basket. The crawfish had excellent flavor. The shrimp batter was delicious. My total was $15.11.

My only complaint, and it is VERY minor, is that they don't serve water. You have to buy a bottle. It was only a $1 a bottle; so it was not a big deal.

Agree about the water. I was a bit taken aback when the girl said NO water except bottled. I just have a thing about buying water so I just asked for a cup..again NO. Remedied that by picking up a cup from the condiment counter and filling it with water from the sink.
Also was disappointed that they don't have any homemade sauce of any kind. No cocktail, no tartar nada..just the damn little packets.
But the food was very good.
Parking is horrendous but thats part of the curse of that locale.
TxFig
AG
My wife & I went there about 2 months ago (shortly after they opened).

Pros: food was pretty good.

Cons:
  • Parking - ok, everyone talks about this, so I won't harp on it.
  • Price was pretty high for the type of place. I was especially disappointed when I ordered 3 lbs of crawfish (over $20) and they wanted to charge me extra for corn & potatoes. Really? Charge me extra for something that costs them less than 20 cents when I just spent $20? Based on this alone, I would never go back.
  • It took at 45 minutes to stand in line to order. The counter & kitchen seemed so disorganized that it was pretty clear they didn't have a clue what they were doing.

In a nutshell, I won't go back. There are much better places that are cheaper, quicker, & better environment.
--
Chris Barnes
Retired A&M IT geek - now beekeeper
http://www.cornerstonehoneybees.com/
duffelpud
AG
Mudbugs were, meh. Shipwreck is better, but more $.
"What's this button do?"
toolshed
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

The Anchor said:

Agree about the water. I was a bit taken aback when the girl said NO water except bottled. I just have a thing about buying water so I just asked for a cup..again NO. Remedied that by picking up a cup from the condiment counter and filling it with water from the sink.
Also was disappointed that they don't have any homemade sauce of any kind. No cocktail, no tartar nada..just the damn little packets.

Do you equally have a thing about the establishment paying for the water, ice and cup that you expect them to give you for free??
The Original AG 76
AG
toolshed said:

The Original AG 76 said:

The Anchor said:

Do you equally have a thing about the establishment paying for the water, ice and cup that you expect them to give you for free??
they also have to pay for the napkins, paper plates,little ketchup packets, little salt and pepper thingies and plastic forks.... but you know that so.....
You know full well that 99.99999% of food establishments provide ice water for free as part of the service and covered as part of normal operating expenses. I simply found it a bit strange .
CS78
It's ended up being part of my usual lunch rotation. The best deal is the fried fish and the boiled shrimp. Crawfish are pretty much over priced at any restaurant. The last trip I noticed the shrimp weren't as spicy and they now give you a side of Cajun seasoning and butter to dip. It's not fancy but it's good seafood at an excellent price.
Captn_Ag05
AG
The Anchor said:

Wish I had a second start to give you for providing a quality review AND finding the old thread instead of starting a new one!
australopithecus robustus
Crawfish are $10.95 ALL YOU CAN EAT Thursday's at Backyard and FREE Sundays at Backyard. great deals and far from overpriced. Delivered from THE CRAWFISH HOLE FRESH 2 or three times a week!
BryanAggie2013
AG
Ate there for the second time today. The Shrimp Aggie Bag is a pretty good bit of food for $7 and is some of the best shrimp I've had in awhile. Really hope this place sticks around!
Mission Velveta
DWren said:

PS3D said:

kevmiller said:

AggiePhil said:

Given how far it is from south CS .

Yeah that 10-15 minute drive is a real *****.

Why do people who live in south CS think anytime they have to venture more than 5 minutes from their house it's " too far"

You can get from any point in college station to any point in Bryan in a reasonable amount of time
Actually, from 2713 Greens Prairie Road (a generic placesetter for "south CS") to OMG Seafood is 15-20 minutes, and that's from checking it just now on Google Maps close to midnight. Try rush hour and that's probably closer to 30-40 minutes. As a point of comparison, if you drive from downtown Bryan on Texas Avenue to William D. Fitch, you've covered about the same distance of driving from one end from Houston's 610 Loop to the other (through it, not around it).

From north Bryan you could get to Navasota inside of 40 minutes any time of day.
From south college station you could get to Hearne inside of 40 minutes anytime of day.

From downtown Bryan to HWY 6/ William D Fitch intersection going down Texas Ave is 12 miles. ... Not exactly 610 loop worthy lol
It can take 15 minutes or more on FM 2818 between Holleman and Raymond Stotzer. That's one 2 mile stretch of road. Wellborn Rd is a nightmare near campus. HWY 6 isn't much better many days and if you are coming from the west end (west of railroad tracks) of South College Station, it's worse because you can't get across Wellborn. There is no good route to get to Bryan anymore unless you wait until after the traffic has cleared out. Then, you can be at most places in Bryan in 15-20 minutes.

I grew up in a rural area 20 miles outside Houston, it was quicker to leave my house back then and drive into the outskirts of Houston to eat than it is for me to drive from where I currently live (Wellborn area) to many parts of Bryan. The north south growth of the area has created a traffic nightmare as everybody is using the same 3 roads to get across town. With 2 of the 3 being inundated with traffic lights.
FlyRod
OMG Seafood is great. A tad too salty, but most crawfish are.

And as an FYI, if you are eating *cheap* crawfish, you are likely eating the ones imported from China. Good luck with that.
AgFan131
Weve gone twice now and both times were great. First time was busy and there was a long wait (no problem as we were expecting it). Second time we went there was no wait but the crawfish seemed slightly overcooked. I would imagine they may be better during busier times as the rotation is high. Or it may all be in my head.

99 cents extra for potatoes and corn (no biggie), and its byob. The catfish and fried shrimp have a clean flavor and good texture. The boiled shrimp are tasty, but the texture isnt as they are a little overcooked.

I think this place will make it and we plan to keep going back.
BCStalk
Finally got around to trying this place. I tried the fried catfish and shrimp plate. I definitely would not rate it as the best I've had, but being able to pass through the drive through and getting some Cajun food to take home is awesome. Definitely agree that the foods a bit salty. I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars. Will definitely return.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.