CSHS and AMCHS not scheduled for football

5,771 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Beau Bevers
soso33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've got a letterman's sweater with a letter in front that I got for football and track. I'm proud to wear it. Now
when I cruise around the other parts of the town, I've got a decal in back. Let your colors fly.
dman2217
From Coach Fedora's interview with Colin Deaver it sounds as if this was a mutual agreement from the two head coaches (possibly pushed on them from others in the district but we will never know) for the two schools to not play each other as long as they are not in the same district.
gibby03
AG
dman2217 said:

From Coach Fedora's interview with Colin Deaver it sounds as if this was a mutual agreement from the two head coaches (possibly pushed on them from others in the district but we will never know) for the two schools to not play each other as long as they are not in the same district.
Bryan ISD essentially did the same thing for the first few years. It was never "stated" that they didn't want the two schools to play but it was "implied".

Also, some of you may not have any idea here but the leadership at CSISD DOES NOT WANT a rivalry between the two schools. The push is to make the district a KUMBAYA atmosphere, and that's fine, I have zero issue with it. However the fans and students may want it and the district leadership as a whole doesn't. You will see that being pushed moving forward if not already.
CollegeStationMaid
It doesn't matter to me one way or the another. Typically the Crosstown Showdown has always been Bryan and AMCHS anyway.

That being said, KBTX did a story about a week ago reporting. CSHS is projected to be at capacity in 2 years while AMCHS at 85%. Looks like there will be some rezoning again soon - don't get too comfy.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Quote:

I'll say this, if you actually think that Steve Huff is a high and mighty person you have obviously never talked to him at length

This times a bazillion. The statement about Coach Huff was one of abject ignorance.
Tumble Weed
I don't think that the football coaches get to make these decisions.

CSISD has one high school over capacity and another under capacity. It is in their interest not to foster a CSHS vs. Consol mentality as the district lines are sure to shift again in the near future.

Moondawg
AG
It was neither the administration or Steve Huff. Consol's non district schedule was filled over a month ago when 5A I and 5A II was set. Huff was asked by the Eagle, "Are you playing Consol, Rudder, or Bryan" and his answer was "No, we are not playing them this year". The quote was out of context.
CactusThomas
AG
gettingitdone said:

the post was made to shed light why there is this "perception" that CSHS is so superior to all the other HS in Brazos County. If anyone thinks the perception is just among AMCHS parents, they are wrong. This "perception" is also at BHS and RHS.

This "perception" (read: reality), is statewide now that CSHS is the state champion.
Cayman
Good point Cactus! Seems that the title and contents of the original post were falsely derived from an out of context quote.
justinsr
Moondawg said:

It was neither the administration or Steve Huff. Consol's non district schedule was filled over a month ago when 5A I and 5A II was set. Huff was asked by the Eagle, "Are you playing Consol, Rudder, or Bryan" and his answer was "No, we are not playing them this year". The quote was out of context.

5A D1 And D2 were announced at 9am today by the UIL, not a month ago.
Cayman
Quote:

Incorrect. The 5A-D1 and 5A-D2 split was announced over a month ago and teams have known which classification they would be in since then. The districts within those classifications were announced on 2/1.

So, Moondawg is correct that Bryan, CSHS, and Consol have known that they will be in different districts for over a month.
justinsr
Cayman said:

Quote:

Incorrect. The 5A-D1 and 5A-D2 split was announced over a month ago and teams have known which classification they would be in since then. The districts within those classifications were announced on 2/1.

So, Moondawg is correct that Bryan, CSHS, and Consol have known that they will be in different districts for over a month.

Somewhat incorrect, yes; I apologize. The districts were announced yesterday which in turn allowed for knowing how many out of district teams to schedule. I didn't realize Consol could secure out of district scheduling without knowing how many games they would need to schedule.
Oogway
This time of the year I would expect scheduling is somewhat fluid; after all most everyone is in the same boat until they release the districts so no hard feelings when things turn out otherwise. It's the parents who for whatever reason seem to have expectations that exceed reality....
gibby03
AG
Coaches start the discussions during and after the last game of the season when they know it's imminent that their districts are going to change. These conversations were had well before any of these numbers came out. At that point though it's a guessing game because they don't know how big their district will be meaning they don't know how many non-district games they need.

Bryan had an "agreement" to play a certain team if they were both in a 7 team district (meaning they would have a 6 game district schedule) and needed a 4th non-district game. Bryan got thrown into a 9 team district leaving them only 2 non-district games so it didn't happen. This happens every where and it all hinges on the announcement of the districts. From that point coaches begin to scramble to find games.
taxpreparer
AG
The KBTX story last night made it sound like Huff and Fedora agreed on this because both of their staffs would be working with all three jr. highs and they would be sharing plays and strategies. They didn't think it would be a good situation to play a team that knew knew your playbook.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
Stupe
S
Seems that the thread title needs to be changed.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
taxpreparer said:

The KBTX story last night made it sound like Huff and Fedora agreed on this because both of their staffs would be working with all three jr. highs and they would be sharing plays and strategies. They didn't think it would be a good situation to play a team that knew knew your playbook.

This is the truth. It isn't some grand scheme to deprive football fans of an otherwise fun rivalry between schools in the same school district. It isn't arrogance on anyone's part, at least not at the coaching level. (Any discussion of "haves" versus "have nots" would appear to be at the parent/student level, and magnified on this board.)

The school district drew lines. CSHS outpaced growth projections -- for various reasons -- and AMC trended down in growth. Now, we have a school board that appears to prefer homogenization over school allegiance. When you have three middle schools feeding two high schools, you know there will be feeder disruption. The initial thinking was that AMCMS would feed AMCHS, the third middle school would feed CSHS, and CSMS would be split between the two. Instead, we have this plan to split all three middle schools to the various high schools.

If I was a coach, I would do the same thing. It's a waste of time to try and instill your football program at any middle school campus where you may or may not have those players once they get to high school, not to mention other coaches having playbook knowledge. This isn't some nefarious plot; it's the coaches at both school playing the hand the school district has dealt them.

All of that said, between the UIL and what seems to be a clown car of ineptitude in both Bryan and College Station, they screwed up a good thing when they had all four schools in the same football district. And, the UIL can spare me this crap about leveling the playing field. If that was the case, they'd do it in basketball too.
Beau Bevers
AG
Stupe said:

Anyone that thinks one school is better than the other is ignorant.
That includes the CS parents with their noses in the air and the Consol parents that have an inferiority complex. The problems seem to arise because those groups are small but vocal at both schools.

Exactly. I really don't mind taking a year or two off from the rivalry at this time. The community division is not healthy right now, with the rezoning issues and what not. Maybe it will take the 3rd HS being built to calm things back down, but the Maroon/Purple feud isn't bringing out the best in people that I know and love, which healthy HS rivalries can do.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.