CSHS and AMCHS not scheduled for football

5,769 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Beau Bevers
BigBubba
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.theeagle.com/brazos_sports/bryan-college-station-s-four-big-public-schools-will-learn/article_10bbd09a-0714-11e8-9c6c-1f6435290829.html

The above Eagle story is about the new realignments coming out today. I thought the comments from Coach Huff at CSHS to be highly interesting. From the Eagle story:

While College Station, Consol and Rudder all will remain in 5A, the Cougars' snapshot enrollment of 2,009 put them well inside the 5A-I cutoff for football (1,840-2,189). College Station head football coach Steve Huff said the split won't change much for his program besides travel plans for district games.

"That's three games off your schedule you're playing 5 minutes, 10 minutes away," Huff said, referring to matchups with Consol, Bryan and Rudder. "There's no telling what that could turn into now."

Huff said the uncertainty of a new district has made it difficult to schedule nondistrict games before Thursday's announcement. The only one locked in now for the Cougars is against Shoemaker in Week 2. He is looking for schools in the Houston and Austin area to face in nondistrict action but has to wait until Thursday.

"The people you'd like to schedule could very well be in our district now," he said.

Huff also said he doesn't plan to schedule nondistrict games with Consol, Bryan or Rudder over the next two seasons.

So Coach Huff he has not filled out his non-district schedule yet but he is already stating he WILL NOT play AMCHS at all the next two years.

What do you think about that? I have to wonder is Coach Huff a Longhorn?

I personally think this is a horrible decision and is going to really get a lot of AMCHS people(me) upset because they already believe too many people at CSHS have a high a mighty attitude about how much better they are.

Staff: Is this better? I admit the title on my first post was one-sided
BigBubba
AG
Here at the new districts for all the local teams.

FOOTBALL AND BASKETBALL CONFERENCE 6A

District 14
Bridgeland
Bryan
Cyp. Lakes
Cyp. Park
Cyp. Ranch
Cyp. Springs
Cyp. Woods
Langham Creek
Tomball Memoria

FOOTBALL CONFERENCE 5A DIVISION 1

District 8
College Station
Conroe Caney Creek
Lufkin
Magnolia
Magnolia West
Tomball
Waller
Willis

FOOTBALL CONFERENCE 5A DIVISION 2

District 10
Bryan Rudder
Cleveland
College Station A&M
Consolidated
Huntsville
Katy Paetow
Montgomery
Montgomery Lake Creek
Rosenberg Lamar Cons

VOLLEYBALL AND BASKETBALL CONFERENCE 5A

District 19
Brenham
Bryan Rudder
College Station
College Station A&M Consolidated
Katy Paetow
Magnolia
Magnolia West
Waller
dman2217
Why do you think this is a bad idea?
Oogway
Um, my kids are/were in athletics; on a scale of importance this is not ranked. Hth.
rgracie
I promise it's not Coach Huff, what would he be worried about? short trip, good crowd, and a win.........from what I'm told it's a district decision from the top.
AG
It makes no sense to play a game in Houston or Austin when you could have an in town rivalry and not have to travel.
BigBubba
AG
dman2217 said:

As a Consol parent, I was hoping we would still schedule CSHS and Bryan in non district games. There is plenty of history between Consol and Bryan to justify keep playing and I imagine a lot of locals would like that. Also, being that there are only two high school in CSISD, it would be nice to have them play considering they are very similar in size. Bryan and Rudder have a tougher decision because there is a much larger difference in size between those schools.

Also, playing the two local teams means a lot less travel and you don't have to drive 100 miles for a non district game. Even if they both are away games on our schedule they are still local and easy on all the kids and parents.
gibby03
AG
Bryan was "tentatively" scheduled to play Consol and College Station. Being put into a 9 team district will affect one of those games. They will play the other though, more than likely. IF Bryan had been put into a 6 team district they would have played both.
BigBubba
AG
rgracie said:

I promise it's not Coach Huff, what would he be worried about? short trip, good crowd, and a win.........from what I'm told it's a district decision from the top.
I am not buying it. If it is somebody at the district level then they need to come out and own they decision.
Oogway
Other than travel expense, I don't really care one way or another. Public education has so many other areas to focus on besides the three ring circus that is Hollywood...erm I mean HS football that the only ones who should be paying THAT close attention are the coaches/ADs for scheduling purposes and if they are on TexAgs right now: go back to work.

Edit-spelling

BigBubba
AG
gibby03 said:

Bryan was "tentatively" scheduled to play Consol and College Station. Being put into a 9 team district will affect one of those games. They will play the other though, more than likely. IF Bryan had been put into a 6 team district they would have played both.
They should still have two non-district games. Let's hope they did not already have a commitment to other schools and can still schedule the local teams. If it is just one, hopefully it is AMCHS due to their long history of playing each other.
Stupe
S
BigBubba said:

I personally think this is a horrible decision and is going to really get a lot of AMCHS people(me) upset because they already believe too many people at CSHS have a high a mighty attitude about how much better they are.

Staff: Is this better? I admit the title on my first post was one-sided
So you just decided to make your entire post one-sided and take a shot a CSHS parents while you were at it. All because of a quote from The Eagle...of all places. I can say from personal experience that they will change the wording of a sentence and that accuracy is waaaay down their list of priorities.
It would not surprise me one bit if they asked them if there were any plans for those schools to play and he said "Not at this time."
It takes two schools to schedule games and you have no clue if he and the coaches from the other schools have spoken to each other about how they want to schedule.
I know that Huff wasn't happy...at all...about the 5A split for district play because of what it would do to the natural rivalries in the area.
Personally, I would love for the area schools to play each other every year and so do the parents that I talk to at sporting events. Sometimes that just doesn't happen.

I'll say this, if you actually think that Steve Huff is a high and mighty person you have obviously never talked to him at length. Ever.
rockelle
BigBubba said:

Here at the new districts for all the local teams.

FOOTBALL CONFERENCE 5A DIVISION 2

District 10
Bryan Rudder
Cleveland
College Station A&M
Consolidated
Huntsville
Katy Paetow
Montgomery
Montgomery Lake Creek
***Rosenberg Lamar Cons***

Dang- College Station to Rosenberg is 100 miles
ZoneClubber
AG
Stupe said:

I know that Huff wasn't happy...at all...about the 5A split for district play because of what it would do to the natural rivalries in the area.

Then just play the natural rivalry on the currently blank non-district schedule.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Bryan is in trouble.

agnerd
AG
Smart move by Huff. He's coming of a state championship and will have a good team. When you have a good team, you want to avoid "emotional" matchups where your opponent has intimate knowledge of your players after having regularly competed against them before. Emotion can have a huge affect on those games. It's A&M-t.u. all over again. Rankings didn't matter in that game as much as emotion. Players give a little extra, and a state championship that would intimidate others wouldn't have the same affect on Consol or the Bryan schools. As long as your school is willing to foot the travel bill, it's better to avoid the risky, local games.
BigBubba
AG
Stupe said:

I'll say this, if you actually think that Steve Huff is a high and mighty person you have obviously never talked to him at length. Ever.
I didn't say that. I have never met the man and no nothing about him personally.

I just quoted the Eagle story and if it is wrong that is not my fault.

My high and mighty comment is a general reference to people in this community that think CSHS is such a better school than AMCHS. If that is not you then it doesn't apply to you. I am just referencing the general perception that seems to percolate in this community for reasons I can't understand. It drives me nuts because both schools are wonderful and I can't fathom why anybody would have issues with their kids going to either.
dman2217
Blue star x infinity.
TAMU1990
AG
rgracie said:

.from what I'm told it's a district decision from the top.
Here's the answer - not the rest of this thread
Stupe
S
BigBubba said:

My high and mighty comment is a general reference to people in this community that think CSHS is such a better school than AMCHS. If that is not you then it doesn't apply to you. I am just referencing the general perception that seems to percolate in this community for reasons I can't understand. It drives me nuts because both schools are wonderful and I can't fathom why anybody would have issues with their kids going to either.
That's my point.

But you didn't say the "general perception" you specifically referenced CSHS parents as the ones that have that attitude. A lot of that attitude also comes from some of the parents at Consol being petty. And if you deny that, then you aren't looking at any of this objectively.
The vast majority of parents that I interact with at school centered events....and that is a lot of people...don't have that attitude and actually wonder where that perception is coming from. As I said, the few that do have it would have that attitude no matter where there kid went to school.

Quote:

If that is not you then it doesn't apply to you
It's not just me, it's most people at CSHS events.

Quote:

It drives me nuts because both schools are wonderful and I can't fathom why anybody would have issues
That is exactly what is said by most people when the subject comes up. We were in the middle of house hunting during all of the realignment and what high school they were going to attend didn't weigh a lot in the decision.

Anyone that thinks one school is better than the other is ignorant.
That includes the CS parents with their noses in the air and the Consol parents that have an inferiority complex. The problems seem to arise because those groups are small but vocal at both schools.

TAMU1990
AG
And I agree - Bryan is in trouble. They need to send more kids into Rudder, but it may be for naught. The Consol zone is losing low income housing in town and these families are moving to Bryan.
Stupe
S
BigBubba said:

dman2217 said:

As a Consol parent, I was hoping we would still schedule CSHS and Bryan in non district games. There is plenty of history between Consol and Bryan to justify keep playing and I imagine a lot of locals would like that. Also, being that there are only two high school in CSISD, it would be nice to have them play considering they are very similar in size. Bryan and Rudder have a tougher decision because there is a much larger difference in size between those schools.

Also, playing the two local teams means a lot less travel and you don't have to drive 100 miles for a non district game. Even if they both are away games on our schedule they are still local and easy on all the kids and parents.
Completely agree.

But, this isn't a Huff only decision.
Stupe
S
BigBubba said:

rgracie said:

I am not buying it. If it is somebody at the district level then they need to come out and own they decision.
You think that an elected official would volunteer to take that heat?
oklaunion
BigBubba said:

rgracie said:

Why? Because you say so? I am sure the District Offender will read this thread and "own THEY decision". Because, well, Big Bubba demands it.
gettingitdone
I know personally of families that moved cities and one that moved from a county south of here to go to cshs to create a "super" baseball team.....
gibby03
AG
gettingitdone
the post was made to shed light why there is this "perception" that CSHS is so superior to all the other HS in Brazos County. If anyone thinks the perception is just among AMCHS parents, they are wrong. This "perception" is also at BHS and RHS.
jac4
AG
gettingitdone said:

I know personally of families that moved cities and one that moved from a county south of here to go to cshs to create a "super" baseball team.....

There may have been about "12" kids that moved. IYKWIM
Stupe
S
BigBubba said:

It's a great question, where is all this perception getting started. Bigger question, how to end it?

I have one co-worker whose kids went to CSHS and were in orchestra. Quoting her, "I bet over half of the orchestra parents moved because they wanted their kids to go to CSHS instead of AMCHS". She said "I know lots of people that moved because of this".

Just curious, do you know anybody that moved from ACMHS zoned area to CSHS zoned area? If so, ask them why. Apparently this was common. There is one realtor that likes to post on these forums that talks about how she can't sell a house in the AMCHS side and that it is destroying property values.
I personally know several people that were buying or have bought new a new house since the current zones were forming or were formed. I'll use colors for simplicity but the decision that were made were:

• Bought in a maroon zone because their kid went to AMCMS and they wanted to stay maroon
  • Bought in a purple zone because their kid went CSMS and they wanted to stay purple
  • Moved because their zone was changed and they didn't want kids at two different high schools down the road
  • One had freshmen this year and just didn't want them to have to change schools (maroon)

So, yes, I had friends move so their kids could attend a specific school and a few, including us, waited until the zones were done to decide. But it wasn't because they wanted to pick a specific school, it was for the continuity in extracurricular activities.

A fact that seems to go WAY over the head of the zoning committees and school board.
Stupe
S
gettingitdone said:

the post was made to shed light why there is this "perception" that CSHS is so superior to all the other HS in Brazos County. If anyone thinks the perception is just among AMCHS parents, they are wrong. This "perception" is also at BHS and RHS.
I hear that about both CS high schools from Bryan and Rudder parents.
Oogway
Quote:

I would really like to know where you see all of these "high and mighty, better than you" people.

Sadly, all over town.
I agree with you Stupe. Parents at both schools are a microcosm of society at large and there are plenty of bad apples, hypocrites, over-involved, and lackadaisical parents to go around. There are also some really great students and families and we really like being in this community. Even when we don't always see eye-to-eye.

Quote:

I guess that I should stop attending the Consol events that my son's friends are in or stop interacting with the non CS parents at combined events like 4H and FFA. And church. And work.

I think (or at least I suspect) you are exaggerating here and it would not be in your nature to do so. As I've said before, we are a Consol family but due to different boundary adjustments, extra-curricular and other activities have friends, and our children have friends at both schools. Except for when they play Consol, we always root for CSHS because we feel the students at each of the high schools represent the District and the community and we support that. Even when Consol was no longer in the football playoffs, I was pretty confident that CSHS was going to run the table- - they were a great team with a lot of intangibles and I was very happy they reached their goal. I like football and I get that Texas places a lot of emphasis on this for a lot of reasons, but some parents (at both schools!) need to calm down. I could speak volumes (and I'm sure many of you could as well) about some of the damage and dysfunction well-meaning parents do to their children, but sadly I am afraid it would be in the blindspot of parents who need to read it the most.

One more thing and it is a small niggling thing. The word 'vast' does not automatically have to be paired with the word 'majority.' (and I'm sorry if it appears I am picking on some of you, I see it everywhere- - the Politics board is THE worst.) Just as the word 'impacted' has evolved to refer to more than bowels and wisdom teeth, I wish this habit would be drummed out of the heads of today's students....

So, what are y'all fixing for the Super Bowl?

Edit- fixed code
ag50
AG

[State your opinion on this board but be polite. -Staff]
Oogway
The Good Aggieboy19
AG
The eagle got this one wrong lol
Wicked Good Ag
Both CSISD high schools are top notch.
When more people in town realize that then it will be a better thing.
CSHS is newer and thus has some advantages in terms of equipment but currently my daughter is one of those at CSMS who will be within the 18% that go to AMCHS starting next year. We have no issue with that at all. We are planning on moving because we need one more bedroom IMO but the HS question will not come into play in our decision where to move. But for many people it is a major factor just like it will be a major factor when the eventual third HS is built.

Will we have a NORTH CS, SOUTH CS and WEST CS to tell people where we live in few years? That seems borderline stupid and elitist
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.