Water heater replacement

4,102 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by (Removed:11023A)
tmr69
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Generally speaking how much should you expect to pay to replace a water heater in a 2500 square-foot house?
montegobay
We paid $900 two weeks ago for our 1700 sq foot house.
cslifer
Square footage of the house has nothing to do with it. All depends on how many gallons you want and if it is gas or electric. Not sure how handy you are but it is pretty easy to do yourself. Otherwise I would recommend H&A plumbing.
mr83tr88
AG
We got a gas, 40 gallon from Lowes. With new water heater, removal of old and complete set-up of new, cost was $700. We felt like we got a great deal.

Tim Hoyt is honest, dependable and a great handyman!! He has done more than one hot water heater this week!

Tim Hoyt
All Services BCS
allservicesbcs@gmail.com
979-204-7096
gibby03
AG
Replaced a natural gas water heater, 40 gallon two weeks ago in my house. Cost me $465 after tax and put it in myself. If you aren't comfortable with that just figure out how much labor is on top of that number for the price of the water heater. Bought mine at Lowe's.
rc_cat
montegobay said:

We paid $900 two weeks ago for our 1700 sq foot house.

That's ballpark what we paid a couple of years ago - may have been closer to $800 - can't remember. Attic vs. garage installation makes a difference as well.
frito bandito
So how does a home owner or a handyman comply with COCS's requirement that water heaters be permitted and installed by a contractor licensed for plumbing by the State of Texas.
(Removed:11023A)
AG
Sorry, not to derail the topic but has anybody here switch to a tankless gas water heater?
techno-ag
AG
andyv94 said:

Sorry, not to derail the topic but has anybody here switch to a tankless gas water heater?
We got one in the new place. Did not do a switch out though. I like it.
Lone Stranger
If you are really worried about the local regulatory overlords do it this way: Remove the old one yourself and buy a new one at the store of your choice. Bring it home in your truck and install everything but the final gas connection. Call your favorite local plumbing company to come hook up the gas connection to the new water heater and turn it on. If they notice any issues they will tell you. You now have paperwork that a professional looked at the installation and hooked up the energy to it to keep the overlords happy. That piece of paper for the overlords does raise the price a little from doing it all yourself.

Personally I am more worried about the home inspector when I go to sell flagging something in their report than I am the city.

LOYAL AG
AG
If you have gas spend the extra money and go tankless. In new construction tankless is about $3000 so the delta is north of $2000 versus a tank but it's an infinitely better product than a tank heater. Simply put you'll never run out of hot water. They produce about 7 gal/minute so do the math on how many it would take to service your house based on the volume of water your showers, sinks, etc. consume. I have a 4/3 with four shower heads and even when my son lived here we could literally have all four showers going at one time and not have a problem.

If you have electric stick to tanks. The electric tankless isn't nearly as good as the gas ones are.
CS78
My house was built with a tankless in 2008. Heated with gas. Do the new ones heat up any faster? I never had a problem running out of hot water with a traditional water heater but now I have the to let the water run for a few minutes before it gets hot. Not even worth waiting for in the bathroom sinks. I think it does help with my gas bill but I haven't seen any other advantage.
91_Aggie
AG
LOYAL AG said:

If you have gas spend the extra money and go tankless. In new construction tankless is about $3000 so the delta is north of $2000 versus a tank but it's an infinitely better product than a tank heater. Simply put you'll never run out of hot water. They produce about 7 gal/minute so do the math on how many it would take to service your house based on the volume of water your showers, sinks, etc. consume. I have a 4/3 with four shower heads and even when my son lived here we could literally have all four showers going at one time and not have a problem.

If you have electric stick to tanks. The electric tankless isn't nearly as good as the gas ones are.

We have 5 people in our house including 3 teenaged girls. Have never run out of hot water once even when we had overnight guests.

The only time I've heard of people running out of hot water was in movies and sit-coms from the 60s and 70s.
rc_cat
When we were going to replace our water heater, we briefly considered a tankless heater, but were told that it would cost a lot to have to retrofit the pipe system to it - our house is ancient - built in the 70s. I may be misremembering the details, but I do remember the need for retrofitting. YMMV.
BQ_90
AG
rc_cat said:

When we were going to replace our water heater, we briefly considered a tankless heater, but were told that it would cost a lot to have to retrofit the pipe system to it - our house is ancient - built in the 70s. I may be misremembering the details, but I do remember the need for retrofitting. YMMV.
That's normally the case on any retro fit, the exhaust isn't the same from gas tank to gas tankless. My house was built 2004 and it would have required major retro fitting to go to tankless
gibby03
AG
The guy I talked to said basically that. In a new build, tankless all the way but to go back and retro fit could become VERY expensive and take a while to get it right with the equipment involved.
CTGilley
AG
91_Aggie said:

LOYAL AG said:

We have 5 people in our house including 3 teenaged girls. Have never run out of hot water once even when we had overnight guests.

The only time I've heard of people running out of hot water was in movies and sit-coms from the 60s and 70s.
What? I am not sure what type of system you have but growing up I was often the third one on the shower after my dad and sister and I very often ran out of hot water during the shower. My parents had a large bath tub and we would run out of hot water before it was full

At the lake house it was possible to run out during one shower if you took too long.

Older shower heads used 5-8 GPM now they use closer to 2GPM. That is the difference.
evan_aggie
AG
Looking at getting an outdoor tankless. Curious if anyone had thoughts.

I was wanting to go with Rinnai, but they are picky about backing up their warranty using not only a licensed plubmer, but one who has been endorsed via a "class" by Rinnai. I hate that sort of stuff.

Rheem doesn't care as long as it is a licensed plumber, and usually they'll warranty it anyway (from what I've read).
TxFig
AG
andyv94 said:

I've had one in my house for 14 years now. What do you want to know?
TxFig
AG
evan_aggie said:

Looking at getting an outdoor tankless. Curious if anyone had thoughts.

I was wanting to go with Rinnai, but they are picky about backing up their warranty using not only a licensed plubmer, but one who has been endorsed via a "class" by Rinnai. I hate that sort of stuff.

Rheem doesn't care as long as it is a licensed plumber, and usually they'll warranty it anyway (from what I've read).

Virtually every plumber has taken the Rinnai class. This is not an issue.
(Removed:11023A)
AG
TxFig said:

andyv94 said:

I've had one in my house for 14 years now. What do you want to know?

Anything and everything about it! Is it gas or electrical
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.