Looking for alternate venue ideas

2,297 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by RockofAges
newsjunkie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I am currently looking for space to hold an event for our organization. I have bids from the usual event venues (Hilton conference center, Expo center, etc).

What we are looking for is an open area approx 4-5,000 sq feet that is climate controlled. We are needing the space for a weekend in June, preferably 8th-10th. It would need to be located within the B/CS limits.

It would need to be in close proximity to lodging as many of our attendees will be coming from all over Texas.

Additionally, alcohol will be served and we can provide outside security.

If anyone has any ideas or have any questions, please let me know-I'm just trying to find what all might be out there.
one MEEN Ag
AG
When I was on Aggie Wranglers, we used to hold our reunions out at the Wheelock Bloodworth Center. We'd host a 100 or so people, and have enough room to dance. We'd bring a keg and raise hell. Short trip back into College Station.

It was a good set up and served its purpose. As a side note, STUACT has forbade Aggie Wranglers from going out to the Bloodworth Center because we can't have access to a keg. I hated STUACT and still do.

JP76
http://brokenarrowranch.us/
newsjunkie
Great suggestions...where did your guests stay?
australopithecus robustus
Try Cafe Eccell. They've got the space and very well located
Captn_Ag05
AG
If you didn't already reach out, I would definitely consider The George. It looks like they have the size needed (https://www.thegeorgetexas.com/meeting-room-capacity.htm). I attended an event there recently and it was well done. Guests enjoyed being able to walk to different restaurants and bars from the hotel. Even more places should be open by summer.

Guests could stay at both Cavalry Court and The George which would be a nice option.
Koko Chingo
AG
Was there anything wrong with the bids you revived? Price too high? Not enough space? Dates not available???

What specifically are you looking for? You mention alcohol but even that can mean a lot of things and cause costs to vary greatly.

Will you supply the alcohol or the establishment? Will it be a cash bar? Will you have just beer & wine or will spirits be served as well? Many places will also restrict vendors and control prices. Not a always a bad thing, just know that and plan.

How many people? What is your budget? What hours do you need? What kind of event? Do you want to decorate? Do you want to save money by cleaning up yourself? Fancy or a wedding? Sales/promotional/business event? Birthday party or Quinceanera? Just a good ol party because they are fun?

What about food full meal or hors d'oeuvres? Plated & served or buffet style?
Your own caterer, facilities caterer, or potluck?

I have been to a 50th birthday party at the VFW , Quinceanera's at the Bryan Ballroom, Weddings at the fancy places, Christmas parties and meeting from the Stella, Phillips Event Center, Pebble Creek, Hilton, too many to name (I am old).

I had a good time at all of them because the venue was appropriate for the event and the crowd. That's the key. What is your event and who is coming should steer you to the right location.

With some more details TexAgs will help you get the perfect location.
newsjunkie
Thank you all so much for your help.

To elaborate on our event and what we need:

This will be a weekend long state wide dart tournament. We have held it two years ago at the Hilton but the rates have gone up substantially for the bid I received this year.

We expect 150+ players from all over Texas based on what we did last year.

The bar situation would be full service (because darts is one of the sports you can play and drink at the same time LOL) and we are open to hiring bar service and we have had some venues that require their specific vendors. We can also plan for providing bar service ourselves if the venue does not offer it.

The area need not be too fancy; comfortable and roomy are the two main issues-dart players do not like to be crowded when they are throwing!

As far as budget, we would like to stay under $5,000.00 but that would be for a weekend and lodging would have to be close due to the drinking item I mentioned. We don't want them on the roads which is why we normally book hotel centers. Just wanted to know what was out there; obviously there are a number of places I did not know about in our area.

Hope this helps.
gettingitdone
TAMU Equine center
Philips Even Center
Brazos Ballroom
VFW
Expo Center
Brazos Center
Place on South College used to be called Graham's. Not sure what it is called now (sorry)
I would steer clear of Broken Arrow as their price is a little steep for a weekend.
bobinator
AG
It was way too expensive for us for a wedding, but they might give you a different price for this kind of event, but the Ice House on Main in downtown Bryan would be kind of a cool place for that type of event. Admittedly that's not very close to any hotels other than the LeSalle.

nashvilleaggie11
I'd say The Stella or Peach Creek Ranch (although I think Peach Creek is probably totally booked every weekend for weddings but worth an ask.)
gettingitdone
I would avoid Peach Creek simply because the roads that lead to the facility aren't very well lit and are very much country roads. It is pretty hidden and it is way out in South College Station. Don't get me wrong,,,it is a very lovely place and I have been to an even there and would recommend for a wedding.
newsjunkie
Again, thank you all so much for the help

I checked with Peach Creek and the George; both fabulous venues but a bit out of our price range. The Brazos Center won't allow our event to exceed 10 pm and the Expo Center is also a bit pricey

Oh well, lots of other places to check thanks to you good folks
kraut
AG
https://www.experiencebcs.com/meetings/meeting-spaces/
Jetty
AG
Smith Ks?
bobinator
AG
Jetty said:

Smitty Ks?
I wouldn't think it would be big enough, but maybe Hurricane Harry's would be? Or possibly Rockies (located in the place that used to be Prospector's/Bourbon Street?) Maybe the Bingo Barn in Bryan that Rockies used to be inside?

I don't really know how much space you need for the event itself, but my first thought also was if there was a big enough bar venue you could partner with that would be pretty awesome.

I was trying to come up with big bar venues off the top of my head.
OnlyANobody
Yesterdays?
australopithecus robustus
The Backyard on Northgate

Four Downs
Mpwolfe
My wife works for ExperienceBCS, she can be a resource for venues and hotels. They also have free services to help with events.

Jo Beth Wolfe
Jobeth@experiencebcs.com
979-260-9898
RockofAges
big bingo place
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.