CSISD School growth projections - High School Rezoning is coming

20,114 Views | 171 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Oogway
CS78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
02skiag said:

No, the reason is because there aren't enough numbers (of any income level) at Consol and too many at CSHS. NOT because of demographics. As the previous poster stated you are going on a whole other unrelated tangent.
It's all very related. There are a lot of students that could go to consol. They live very close by but the school district busses them away from the school every morning. The only reason this is done is for demographics. The fact that we are even discussing a $110 million bond to solve a problem that the school district has created is absurd.

Stupe
S
Quote:

Your solution is not practical. It would not only create an immediate discrepancy between the schools but would create future issues with the exodus from the lower income zone.

That's a big assumption by you given one fact: You haven't even asked where I thought the boundaries should be.
02skiag
AG
Stupe said:

02skiag said:

No, the reason is because there aren't enough numbers (of any income level) at Consol and too many at CSHS. NOT because of demographics. As the previous poster stated you are going on a whole other unrelated tangent.
The school board actually stated that demographics were going to play a big part in the decisions of the committees.

Said it. Not implied it. Said it.

Did you go to any of those meeting during the last rezoning?

Yes, in order to correct the number of student, they will factor that in. The goal is to correct the numbers though.
txgardengirl
I do like what it sounds like Schaefer said (didn't catch the speaker until after the thought) - let's draw a circle around CSHS and let the kids that live closest go until it reaches 90% capacity to allow for growth. Looking at google maps, that would be mostly neighborhoods in a stones throw from the roof of CSHS for the sheer amount of kids. Make everyone outside that circle drive to Consol - seems simple to me so I'll sit back and watch as the next two months go by.
Stupe
S
02skiag said:

Yes, in order to correct the number of student, they will factor that in. The goal is to correct the numbers though.
The goal is to now correct the numbers mess that they created when they drove kids across town to make it fair.

Got it.
02skiag
AG
Stupe said:

02skiag said:

The goal is to now correct the numbers mess that they created when they drove kids across town to make it fair.

Got it.

Are you intentionally misinterpreting my posts? I believe you're smarter than that.
Stupe
S
I'm half-kidding.

After one of the hearings that was at the transportation center, there was a group of about 5 or 6 of us talking and every single one of us agreed that in three years or less, they were going to have to rezone again.
And here we are.

It seems like the only people that didn't see it coming were the people that ultimately voted on the proposal.
02skiag
AG
Stupe said:

I'm half-kidding.

After one of the hearings that was at the transportation center, there was a group of about 5 or 6 of us talking and every single one of us agreed that in three years or less, they were going to have to rezone again.
And here we are.

It seems like the only people that didn't see it coming were the people that ultimately voted on the proposal.

Yeah, they screwed up, no doubt about that. Why did they think Consol would grow?
Pinata Man
Indian Lakes and Nantucket - come on down to Consol. You'll love it!

Seriously, if they don't rezone it's a major mishap.
TAMU1990
AG
There isn't enough kids in Indian lakes and Nantucket to get 200 HS students to start in 2019 (400 total). It's one of the reasons why the committee eventually changed their minds because the numbers were too small to make a significant difference.

There were people on the committee that argued that the last rezoning wasn't aggressive enough, even with Indian Lakes/Nantucket included. The path of least resistance was taken by including everything around rock prairie up to Graham road. It was the last incremental option available. Now it has to be more aggressive.
Stupe
S
Which means?
Oogway
DEFCON 1
DFWag84
Indian Lakes needs to be rezoned and annexed, they are half tax payers anyway.
Stupe
S
Edit: I misread that and thought Wendy posted the defcon thing.
Oogway
Are you talking to me or Wendy1990? I have no idea what she means by agressive zoning. The zoning could happen every other year and this would still be problematic because the schools are somewhat close to each other. I am so glad I won't have any hs students when the third school is built!
TAMU1990
AG
It means it needs to be more than a few neighborhoods. It needs to be large enough to prevent another rezoning for several years (hopefully until a 3rd HS is built). I suspect it will look like large areas going to Consol, but that is because there are dense pockets of students between Wellborn/Hwy 6 and 2818 south to Fitch. That area is currently divided at Graham.
Pinata Man
When is this expected to be decided?
Stupe
S
Wendy 1990 said:

It means it needs to be more than a few neighborhoods. It needs to be large enough to prevent another rezoning for several years (hopefully until a 3rd HS is built). I suspect it will look like large areas going to Consol, but that is because there are dense pockets of students between Wellborn/Hwy 6 and 2818 south to Fitch. That area is currently divided at Graham.
As long as they keep trying to cherry pick areas, that's not going to stop happening.

They are doing the EXACT same thing they did last time.
txgardengirl
Serious question Stupe - how do you know they're doing the exact same thing as last time when they just opened the option to start reviewing the zones?

Obviously, we will learn a lot more before May - but I'm starting with the thought that it's a different process and may end up with different results.
scs01
Pinata Man said:

Indian Lakes and Nantucket - come on down to Consol. You'll love it!

Seriously, if they don't rezone it's a major mishap.
Soooo...you're saying it's a major mishap if the board doesn't target particular neighborhoods? I'm struggling to get ahold of the logic of that. I thought the goal was to meet district needs while minimizing disruption to students and families as much as possible.
Stupe
S
txgardengirl said:

Serious question Stupe - how do you know they're doing the exact same thing as last time when they just opened the option to start reviewing the zones?

Obviously, we will learn a lot more before May - but I'm starting with the thought that it's a different process and may end up with different results.
Because Wendy was on one of the committees and hasn't said anything make me think differently and neither has anyone else that I've spoken to.

Well, it seems they are doing one thing differently, they don't seem to be scheduling any public hearings this time.
txgardengirl
FC Local (in my understanding) equals no committee, likely no public hearings. Board directs admin to gather information and present board with options and board votes. I'm sure there will be public comment, likely in writing, but don't see big forums of emotional speakers on the horizon.
Stupe
S
I don't know how many of the hearing that you went to, but there were not many speakers that were overly emotional. Most of them were practical and to the point.
AggieMom_38
Can you clarify what you mean by being "half-taxpayers" DFWag? It's the county, right? But I am pretty sure school district taxes are still paid. I think Nantucket is only part county. But more importantly, the implication that some neighborhoods should have to rezoned (to consol?) because they don't pay enough...Are you implying they be punished and that consol is a punishment? I realize you are joking (and I hope I misunderstand your comment) but it's those kind of comments that create the division in our city.
AggieMom_38
I truly don't understand the posts about Indian Lakes and Nantucket needing to be rezoned - or bringing up as to why they weren't rezoned last time. As others have pointed out, those neighborhoods don't have anywhere close to the student population needed to address the capacity issues we are facing. It was probably why (or I at least I hope it was why) they didn't get rezoned last time. Focusing on those neighborhoods felt icky (they don't have the numbers, and geographically it made no sense - why them then?) - and my guess is that once the board got pushed to look at the numbers, it was hard to justify focusing only on those neighborhoods. It just didn't help and it seemed very much like targeting those neighborhoods. And, then comments on here from some of you seem to further want to focus on those neighborhoods. I just don't understand - someone say it out loud what it is about those areas. Is it because of the affluence there (maybe some high-profile community members like coaches that live there) - do some of you want those individual's kids connected to our schools/consol? Or is it something else? I truly hope the board focuses on addressing the issue facing our district (this time) in a way that is long-term and logical (geographically and with traffic patterns and where growth is/going) and NOT tied up in some oddly placed emotions.
kraut
AG
AggieMom_38 said:

Can you clarify what you mean by being "half-taxpayers" DFWag? It's the country, right? But I am pretty sure school district taxes are still paid. I think Nantucket is only part county. But more importantly, the implication that some neighborhoods should have to rezoned (to consol?) because they don't pay enough...Are you implying they be punished and that consol is a punishment? I realize you are joking (and I hope I misunderstand your comment) but it's those kind of comments that create the division in our city.
Not to speak for him, but I took his comment as referring to the "annexation" part of his comment, not the "rezoning" part.

I'm following this thread as the parent of a child who will most likely be affected by the rezoning.
Pinata Man
[If you want to be part of this discussion please do not try to poke a group. The conversations on this forum will remain polite and civil. Thank you. -Staff]

[We have removed this post and the posts that quoted this one. -Staff]
TAMU1990
AG
Stupe said:

txgardengirl said:

Because Wendy was on one of the committees and hasn't said anything make me think differently and neither has anyone else that I've spoken to.

Well, it seems they are doing one thing differently, they don't seem to be scheduling any public hearings this time.
The process is going to be completely different because a committee of 40+ people isn't making a decision.. People that are not in the education business vs a group of 7 people that have significantly more experience in what and where the problems are in the district. A committee has 1-2 hours to get educated on the process, look at the data, ask questions about the data, make changes, discuss those changes and the implications they may have, make more changes, and take it public. That happens in the course of approximately 10 total hours and we are on a tight timeline.

I think the board working as long as the need to make these changes is way more effective and efficient. It is less likely to have a group of people that don't have the will to make a difficult decision because they don't want to answer to their friends and neighbors. Board members have done all of the hard work to run for office and to put themselves out there for criticism. Most large districts do not use committees - the board makes the decision. There are some districts that adjust their boundaries every year.

At the last board meeting they did discuss about having community feedback. That will probably be announced at the same time they put out the new attendance maps.
Stupe
S
Approved maps or proposed maps?

I really wanted to make that meeting, but other commitments made it impossible.
TAMU1990
AG
Stupe, you can go to any board meeting and make a comment or send them an email. I have always received a response.
Stupe
S
I planned on going to the one the other night but had commitments that made it impossible.
Stupe
S
Wendy 1990 said:

The process is going to be completely different because a committee of 40+ people aren't making a decision.

Sorry, I don't think that I was clear about that. I didn't mean that they were going to go through the entire process again involving committees, I was talking about what they were going to use as a basis for the zones.
I meant that instead of simply increasing the attendance zones based raw numbers of kids, they are still going to try and balance out demographics and create the slivers and islands that they said they were trying to avoid.
Oogway
Moving on from that, I attended those public meetings and there were a few people that were rather emphatic with their point of view, but I concur with Stupe that on the whole, speakers were polite and stated their view and asked the committee to consider it.

As far as the Nantucket/Indian Lakes neighborhoods, IIRC, part of the problem was that while it contributed to easing some of the economic disparity and comparable composition, it really didn't do all that much in terms of raw numbers (a point that has been made here) . Adding to that despite some parents insisting that travel time to Consol shouldn't have been an issue, (and for Nantucket/Deer Park(?) it wasn't all as big a deal) I think that at that time for the Indian Lakes parents, it was. I think it was a valid concern. Whether the Mesa Verde extension would alleviate that, I don't know. It still remains that there would need to be more students.

There are a bunch of new developments coming, Southern Pointe (TWS), Greens Prairie Reserve(?) among others. But for now, the District will have to work with where the students are for a reasonable amount of time into the future.

Will be interested in seeing what the Board proposes. I am sure some folks will be happy and some will not. That is usually the way it is. ...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.