CSISD School growth projections - High School Rezoning is coming

20,147 Views | 171 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Oogway
02skiag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm betting that yellow sliver was to help with demographics. I doubt you'll see any change there or very little.
02skiag
AG
Wendy 1990 said:

I was under the understanding they wanted 200 net rezoned to Consol in 2019. That means 100 freshman and 100 sophomores to start; 400 total by 2021-2022.. And the key word is net. That would mean more than 200 kids minus whatever they send to CSHS.

It was stated in the meeting that the board wants this rezoning to be in place until a third HS is needed around 2030. To me, that means they have to get aggressive because past rezoning measures were obviously not aggressive enough. That is why we're talking rezoning again.

Ah, I missed that. I was reading it as 200 total over 4 grades.
Stupe
S
Quote:

I'm betting that yellow sliver was to help with demographics. I doubt you'll see any change there or very little.

That's exactly why it was done and it won't change.

And it's why the district is going through this again.

TAMU1990
AG
Stupe,did you go to the meeting? The option of doing nothing was also discussed. That would require the board to ask for a $110 million dollar bond this year ($45M to start the construction), tons of portables in spaces where the new construction needs to take place, and a time line of 3 years to complete. However, that would not solve the problem because CSHS would be at capacity again once the new construction was finished. That would mean the board would go to the public again for another bond to build a third HS much sooner than 2030. That's a lot of tax dollars just to avoid rezoning. And we have the capacity at Consol for another 600+ students. That number will keep increasing if we did nothing because Consol's population has been declining. The school is around 1680 students today.
Stupe
S
Where have I once said that nothing should be done?

Edit: I won't edit a single post prior to this one and I want you to quote the post where I've said that.
Oogway
I follow this issue somewhat closely, and Wendy, Stupe hasn't stated that nothing should be done.

I believe where Stupe and I disagree is on the importance of maintaining comparable composition. I believe it is very important. I watched the District make this distinction and emphasis over a decade ago and it has enabled them to keep the educational opportunities and environment for students and staff positive.

SoTheySay
S
Question - had Indian Lakes and Nantucket been rezoned as they tried to do last time would we be having this conversation again?
DFWag84
^ nope
scs01
SoTheySay said:

Question - had Indian Lakes and Nantucket been rezoned as they tried to do last time would we be having this conversation again?
The projections during rezoning showed moving us (I'm from that area) delaying a bond vote by about a year, or in other words, we might not be having this conversation now but probably would have within a year. What it would have actually accomplished is hard to sort out, since it's clear the projections were a ways off--they did not show a big problem yet whether they had moved us or not. While I don't have recent numbers for current populations, I did see them during the 2016 process and am pretty certain there weren't 200 high school students in the areas they wanted to move. So we would not have filled the whole gap in any case. My opinion of the board trying to move us last time is that they accurately identified a problem--that they were going to have to rezone again too soon--but didn't have any good solutions easily at hand, including moving us. Moving us was neither good for us, nor would it have done all that much to solve the capacity problems unless they also moved other students from neighborhoods in the south.

CS78
Wendy 1990 said:

$110 million dollar bond this year ($45M to start the construction)
This whole forced equality thing is getting a little pricey!

$110 million versus just letting the kids that live near Consol go to school there!

Does that really make any sense?
Stupe
S
SoTheySay said:

Question- had they not created the sliver and the island would we be having this conversation again?
02skiag
AG
CS78 said:

Wendy 1990 said:

$110 million dollar bond this year ($45M to start the construction)
This whole forced equality thing is getting a little pricey!

$110 million versus just letting the kids that live near Consol go to school there!

Does that really make any sense?

Demographics is only a small factor. It's getting the numbers per school just right that's tricky. But also, these aren't private schools, they are public schools. Their goal is to do what's best for all students not just the ones in certain neighborhoods.
CS78
02skiag said:

Their goal is to do what's best for all students not just the ones in certain neighborhoods.

But both schools are equally as good so all students would still be getting what's best.
02skiag
AG
CS78 said:

02skiag said:

Their goal is to do what's best for all students not just the ones in certain neighborhoods.

But both schools are equally as good so all students would still be getting what's best.

Socioeconomics factors into quality of schools/education. Im pretty sure agree even if you wont admit it.
Stupe
S
02skiag said:

Demographics is only a small factor. It's getting the numbers per school just right that's tricky. But also, these aren't private schools, they are public schools. Their goal is to do what's best for all students not just the ones in certain neighborhoods.
Every school in the district is good.

Anyone that says otherwise is ignorant.
Stupe
S
02skiag said:

CS78 said:

02skiag said:

Socioeconomics factors into quality of schools/education. Im pretty sure agree even if you wont admit it.

The commitment of students and their parents to academics is what should factor into their quality of education.

Not babysitting by the government.
99StationAG
AG
CS78 said:

02skiag said:

New to the conversation, but agree 100%. Asking folks to rezone to AMCHS and be ok with it, because both schools are equally great, but needing to create "slivers" and/or bus students, etc...seems a bit silly, costly, and not very time efficient.

Are we saying there needs to be an equal mix of diverse kiddos at both schools, or just that all are getting equal opportunities?

Stupe
S
There is a group that thinks that the demographics have to be equal in order for everyone to get an equal opportunity. Socioeconomic make up was one of the biggest factors at the last rezoning.

People probably forget that because it was such a long time ago.
The reason they spent so much time and energy on committees, planning, and public hearings during the last rezoning is that they didn't want it to be short-sighted and have to be repeated any time soon.
gibby03
AG
If socioeconomics isn't an issue then why does Bryan ISD get such a bad rap? I don't see parents up and moving their children to Bryan schools. I only use them as an example because if you don't think parents in CSISD see Bryan over there and think, "that's what will happen to Consol", I think that's a little bit of stretch. CSISD doesn't outperform Bryan because of leadership, it's the populations in which they serve. IMO.

ISD's with low socioeconomic populations routinely perform worse on state assessments and such as a whole. Maybe not the "top tier" of students at each campus but as a whole that's true. Look at the state results.

I am sure there are parents out there that are afraid if you just cut the lines down the middle and let the chips fall where they fall then this will happen with Consol. At least that's what I understand from this conversation.

Again, this isn't a slight to Bryan ISD, just throwing this out there. Take it or leave it.
02skiag
AG
gibby03 said:

If socioeconomics isn't an issue then why does Bryan ISD get such a bad rap? I don't see parents up and moving their children to Bryan schools. I only use them as an example because if you don't think parents in CSISD see Bryan over there and think, "that's what will happen to Consol", I think that's a little bit of stretch. CSISD doesn't outperform Bryan because of leadership, it's the populations in which they serve. IMO.

ISD's with low socioeconomic populations routinely perform worse on state assessments and such as a whole. Maybe not the "top tier" of students at each campus but as a whole that's true. Look at the state results.

I am sure there are parents out there that are afraid if you just cut the lines down the middle and let the chips fall where they fall then this will happen with Consol. At least that's what I understand from this conversation.

Again, this isn't a slight to Bryan ISD, just throwing this out there. Take it or leave it.

Some here are pretending to not understand this. If you want a homogenous school where everyone is upper or middle upper class, go to a private school. I personally welcome the socioeconomic diversity both schools get to experience.

Edit: I do have my limits. If I were zoned for consol and the zones were purely North/South then I would move South in a heart beat. I hope that puts the socioeconomic issue into better perspective.
TAMU1990
AG
I think Stupe is for the neighborhood school concept - you go to the school that you live closest to. I agree that would be ideal, but it's not realistic. If we were to do neighborhood schooling it is akin to doing little or nothing. Consol would be around 75% low ses with declining enrollment and CSHS would be a 6A school at 10% or less low ses with rapidly increasing enrollment. That is not a good situation for anyone - not just the school district.
Stupe
S
Quote:

If those students aren't performing well, it isn't because of the size of their bank accounts. It's because the parents and students aren't taking their academics seriously.

Once people stop worry about being insulting and actually worry about what's best for the student...even if it's the brutal truth...that will change. Stop making excuses for them and hold them accountable for their actions.
Some of the worst students I knew growing up had parents with a lot of money.

A perfect example was the lady at one of the zoning hearing talking about how she was so happy when she heard that Indian Lakes was going to be zoned for Consol that she called her daughter and yelled "Oh, honey...they are making it fair!!!"
And then how angry she was and demand as a taxpayer for them to tell her why Indian Lakes was changed.

What was going to change? What was going to be more "fair"? Her child's grades shouldn't have been affected by that...all. However, she was ANGRY because all of the sudden it wasn't "fair".
CS78
02skiag said:

I just feel that a family should be able to plan ahead and live their life without the government constantly jerking them around to meet some social engineering quota. You know that whole pursuit of happiness without unnecessary government intervention thing. As things are, the ISD seems to think they can do whatever they want as often as they deem fit, people's lives be damed. "Hey you, you fit the profile of the types of students we need to inject in to AMCHS. Pack your bags, you're coming with us". Combine it with the unnecessary/ high cost to the taxpayer and it's unacceptable in my opinion.
gibby03
AG
Stupe said:

If those students aren't performing well, it isn't because of the size of their bank accounts. It's because the parents and students aren't taking their academics seriously.

Once people stop worry about being insulting and actually worry about what's best for the student...even if it's the brutal truth...that will change. Stop making excuses for them and hold them accountable for their actions.

Some of the worst students I knew growing up had parents with a lot of money.

Yep, holding kids to an expectation is paramount. BUT, low income homes come with many more issues that two parent houses and incomes don't. This isn't the thread to talk about it but it is true. I'll keave it at that.
Stupe
S
So the answer was to make them drive farther for school functions.

Brilliant.
Stupe
S
gibby03 said:

Yep, holding kids to an expectation is paramount. BUT, low income homes come with many more issues that two parent houses and incomes don't. This isn't the thread to talk about it but it is true. I'll keave it at that.
Why not?

The only reason that we are having to rezone again is because of the demographic numbers. If they just chose the attendance zones based on raw numbers of kids living in an area, these zoning issues wouldn't exist.
Stupe
S
02skiag said:

Some here are pretending to not understand this. If you want a homogenous school where everyone is upper or middle upper class, go to a private school. I personally welcome the socioeconomic diversity both schools get to experience.

I group up in a VERY diverse school district and guess what:
Unless they were involved in extracurricular activities, kids gravitated towards the kids that were like them. You can't force feed social interaction.
02skiag
AG
Stupe said:

gibby03 said:

Why not?

The only reason that we are having to rezone again is because of the demographic numbers. If they just chose the attendance zones based on raw numbers of kids living in an area, these zoning issues wouldn't exist.

No, the reason is because there aren't enough numbers (of any income level) at Consol and too many at CSHS. NOT because of demographics. As the previous poster stated you are going on a whole other unrelated tangent.
Stupe
S
Wendy 1990 said:

I think Stupe is for the neighborhood school concept - you go to the school that you live closest to. I agree that would be ideal, but it's not realistic. If we were to do neighborhood schooling it is akin to doing little or nothing. Consol would be around 75% low ses with declining enrollment and CSHS would be a 6A school at 10% or less low ses with rapidly increasing enrollment. That is not a good situation for anyone - not just the school district.
That's not realistic in this town. But the school board went out of it's way to isolate certain areas and it actually made it more tough on them.
gibby03
AG
I agree that's what they should do. But they aren't because of the outside politics. The only way to fix this issue is to draw a line and DENY DENY DENY. Deny all the transfer requests and be complete hardliner's in movement of kids. You're gonna piss some people off but as long as you give an "out" for a kid to move schools outside of their zone then this issue will never be fixed. IMO.
02skiag
AG
Stupe said:

02skiag said:

I group up in a VERY diverse school district and guess what:
Unless they were involved in extracurricular activities, kids gravitated towards the kids that were like them. You can't force feed social interaction.

But you can be exposed to diversity. You really should start a whole new thread on this. You will never be able to convince those that disagree with you though. Your thoughts on this subject are not practical.
Stupe
S
The previous poster that said this wasn't the thread but had an entire post talking about it?
Stupe
S
I grew up with it, lived it, and had a youth version of the UN at my house on a regular basis but my thoughts on it aren't "practical".

Ok
Stupe
S
02skiag said:

No, the reason is because there aren't enough numbers (of any income level) at Consol and too many at CSHS. NOT because of demographics. As the previous poster stated you are going on a whole other unrelated tangent.
The school board actually stated that demographics were going to play a big part in the decisions of the committees.

Said it. Not implied it. Said it.

Did you go to any of those meeting during the last rezoning?
02skiag
AG
Stupe said:

I grew up with it, lived it, and had a youth version of the UN at my house on a regular basis but my thoughts on it aren't "practical".

Ok

Your solution is not practical. It would not only create an immediate discrepancy between the schools but would create future issues with the exodus from the lower income zone.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.