CSISD School growth projections - High School Rezoning is coming

20,103 Views | 171 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Oogway
BigBubba
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SARATOGA said:

Stop using Hwy6 as divider

Should be everything North of X goes to Consol; everything south of X goes to CSHS.

Bus kids OUT all you want.

Don't bus kids IN past other schools.

Ready break.

If they did that the line could very well be south of CSHS. The population of family's with kids is heavily weighted to the south side of town while are two high schools are in the middle and north side of town.

Don't get me wrong, if I was being selfish that is exactly what I would do. I would much prefer to send my kids to the closer school instead of having to drive by it on the way to taking them to AMCHS. But, I realize that is not practical and both schools are great so it doesn't both me.
agnerd
AG
There might not be anything to worry about. The Chinese charter school is going to suck up the 300 Asian kids in the high schools pretty quickly. Then the Indian kids will follow since the education will be superior. Then the parents as CSHS that have to have the latest and greatest will move their kids over too. Boom, overcrowding problem solved! Bonus, we can then have a new debate about charter schools and taking away the best students to create a defacto private school.
isitjustme
AG
agnerd said:

There might not be anything to worry about. The Chinese charter school is going to suck up the 300 Asian kids in the high schools pretty quickly. Then the Indian kids will follow since the education will be superior. Then the parents as CSHS that have to have the latest and greatest will move their kids over too. Boom, overcrowding problem solved! Bonus, we can then have a new debate about charter schools and taking away the best students to create a defacto private school.
Not that I disagree with the thought, but the new charter school is only k-8 for now and whether or not it extends beyond 8 is not known at this time, at least by me.

If you really want a great education, move to Bryan, for grades 6-12 and have your kid do Inquire or Odyssey and then the International Baccalaureate in high school. Very quality education but the student needs to be up for it.
lost my dog
agrab86 said:

If you really want a great education, move to Bryan, for grades 6-12 and have your kid do Inquire or Odyssey and then the International Baccalaureate in high school. Very quality education but the student needs to be up for it.
Or your kid could go to AMCHS or CSHS, work hard, take honors or AP classes with the good teachers there. One doesn'thave to go far in this community to get a good education, People who are worried about AMCHS vs CSHS vs IB in Bryan as far as educational quality goes are making much ado about nothing (IMO).
gettingitdone
Are open transfers really allowed between the two schools? If so, this may be part of the problem with the crowding issue at CSHS
Stupe
S
It's difficult if they are in UIL competition.

A lot, a whole lot, of the movement was by parents of kids that were in middle school last year and are current 8th graders or freshmen.

They understood better than the school board that continuity in extracurricular activities is important.
isitjustme
AG
lost my dog said:

agrab86 said:

Or your kid could go to AMCHS or CSHS, work hard, take honors or AP classes with the good teachers there. One doesn'thave to go far in this community to get a good education, People who are worried about AMCHS vs CSHS vs IB in Bryan as far as educational quality goes are making much ado about nothing (IMO).
Thanks for the suggestion, but my kids are done with HS, both having completed the IB diploma at Bryan High and having done/doing really well in college in part due to that education.

Below are a few links for the IB vs AP discussion. Both are good and have strengths over the other. IB is typically considered to be more rigorous as a result of the emphasis on critical thinking, writing research papers, and their diploma program. AP is strong in preparing a student for college as well and typically net more college credits. Neither program is for just any student because both are difficult in their own ways. A lot of kids drop IB because of the rigor or they just don't want to do all the work (lazy). Kids usually stay in AP courses but some decide not to take the AP exam.

In CS, maybe a good thing to do is to implement an IB program and put it at AMCHS. Then those local students who want that type of challenge could do it in CS instead of coming over to Bryan, and it might relieve some of the impending overcrowding of CSHS.

https://blog.prepscholar.com/whats-better-for-you-ib-or-ap

http://www.davidsongifted.org/Search-Database/entry/A10701

https://blog.ingeniusprep.com/ib-vs-ap/

lost my dog
Ok, speaking as a professor at TAMU, I think the claims of both the AP and IB programs are overblown, but that's not the fault of the high schools. My point was not to promote one over the other (and certainly not to encourage you to move), but rather to say that it is possible to get an excellent education at all 4 HS in our community. Just take the most challenging courses, whatever they are, wherever you are. It often happens those are AP or IB courses. There is no one-size-fits all formula, and I'm glad your kids had a successful experience with IB.
TAMU1990
AG
I just read the charter school article in the Eagle. They are expecting 1400 students in their first year. That's about 155 per grade. The goal for the HS is to have 45% of instruction in English, 45% in Spanish, and 10% in Chinese.

That is more than 10% of CSISD's population for the entire district.
ukbb2003
You want the easiest solution?? Make Consol the 9th/10th grade campus and CSHS the 11th/12th grade campus. Problem solved.
gibby03
AG
ukbb2003 said:

You want the easiest solution?? Make Console the 9th/10th grade campus and CSHS the 11th/12th grade campus. Problem solved.

Wow. This should be fun
JaneDoe02
AG
The charter school is K-8

CS78
ukbb2003 said:

You want the easiest solution?? Make Consol the 9th/10th grade campus and CSHS the 11th/12th grade campus. Problem solved.
I could support this. What would the Wendy types think?
TAMU1990
AG
JaneDoe02 said:

For now - they will be adding a HS. They are expecting 1400 next fall for K-8th.
JaneDoe02
AG
Wendy 1990 said:

JaneDoe02 said:

For now - they will be adding a HS. They are expecting 1400 next fall for K-8th.

Ok. That's makes sense. I had only seen K-8 on their advertising. Thanks
SARATOGA
Quote:

If they did that the line could very well be south of CSHS. The population of family's with kids is heavily weighted to the south side of town while are two high schools are in the middle and north side of town.

Don't get me wrong, if I was being selfish that is exactly what I would do. I would much prefer to send my kids to the closer school instead of having to drive by it on the way to taking them to AMCHS. But, I realize that is not practical and both schools are great so it doesn't both me.
So why don't we USE that information, and quit sending students back into town just because (30?) years ago some people spent some tax money and built a school.

Consol was great. It served its purpose. But there are no longer kids around to support it. Turn it into a Lincoln Center or YMCA or some such community event center and build more schools further out where the people with school aged children are going. Consol is a sunk cost, bought and paid for by a generation before. I'm happy to have school bonds for new schools if my kids get to go to the new schools closer to us. That is what I mean when I say busing a few kids out is better than busing a ton back in.

SARATOGA
Quote:

I'm not sure anyone would support that, but I appreciate out of the box thinking with new ideas rather than the same failed ideas repeated over and over again. We should consider all possibilities to best educate the children, whilst not inconveniencing the entire community driving cross town every morning.
taxpreparer
AG
ukbb2003 said:

I don't disagree with this; but, what do you do with kids who are taking a class or two at a level not designed for their campus?

For example: When I was a freshman at Consol (early 70s) I had seniors in my freshman biology class, and had friends taking junior and senior level classes.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
Carnwellag2
Vulcan said:

CSISD should just ASK if anyone would like to go to Consol...I bet they could get 200 kids by just putting out the welcome mat.
move dual credit to Consol only
Carnwellag2
ukbb2003 said:

i like this
gibby03
AG
Serious question here, why not make CSHS the 9/10th Grade campus and the established Consol the 11/12th Grade campus?
ukbb2003
gibby03 said:

Serious question here, why not make CSHS the 9/10th Grade campus and the established Consol the 11/12th Grade campus?

Either way, I don't care which is which. My point is, why do we need two, 9-12 high schools? People are driving by one to get to the other now. I don't see much changing in that regard. This way we stop the purple track/ maroon track. One city, one high school (unless student population reaches 7k plus.)
gibby03
AG
So to answer your question in a different way there are numerous studies that have been done that put the most optimal student population of a high school around 2,000 kids if possible. Resources, class sizes, money etc. fit together the best. This is why you see school districts build multiple high schools when they start to approach that 4,000 mark, which both BISD and CSISD have reached. Multi-high school districts will try and follow this to a degree. Allen and those above 4,000 are the exception and I BET (without looking into myself) those school districts with 4,000 students on one campus are either in the process of building or have already built new high school campuses.
02skiag
AG
ukbb2003 said:

gibby03 said:

Either way, I don't care which is which. My point is, why do we need two, 9-12 high schools? People are driving by one to get to the other now. I don't see much changing in that regard. This way we stop the purple track/ maroon track. One city, one high school (unless student population reaches 7k plus.)

Someone else mentioned the issue of 9/10th grade students taking higher level courses. There are also plenty of 9/10th grade athletes that play on varsity teams. Splitting the grades would be a major inconvenience and hurdle to many.
Oogway
Perhaps, but the pool of upperclass talent from which to draw becomes larger too.
isitjustme
AG
gibby03 said:

Plano ISD does this. They serve 55,000 students total and for high school have 6 9-10 grade schools and 3 11-12 grade schools. 2 of each of the 9-10 grade schools flow to one of the 11-12 grade schools. Don't know if this would work for CS, but Plano operates on a much larger scale. Other huge school districts like Cypress, Fort Bend and Katy are able to split kids up into 4-year high schools so I'm not real clear on the need to do that locally in either district.

No matter what is done in CS (keep as is, re-draw attendance zones, 9-10/11-12 grade campuses, add special programs to Consol, whatever), a significant portion of the population being served will complain.
ClassicArnold
I went to Charles H. Milby HS in Houston. We had 548 seniors graduate in 1993, of which 22 were white. I don't think hardly ANYONE (regardless of race) was very wealthy. I was among the 22 that were harassed daily, yet still finished in the top 10%. I personally to this day do not agree with the moving kids around stuff so they'll have a better chance to succeed. It comes down to the student and their parents.
Don't get me wrong, diversity can be good, but forcing it is not.
02skiag
AG
Oogway said:

Perhaps, but the pool of upperclass talent from which to draw becomes larger too.

Both schools already produce competitive teams. CSHS just won the state championship in football after all ... Two schools allow more opportunities for more students, enhancing their educational experience.
Stupe
S
Not just in athletics, but every extracurricular activity.
Oogway
Perhaps we are misunderstanding each other? I am pointing out that a supercampus, i.e. a campus with 1000+ students in each class year would make it perhaps more difficult for 9-10 graders to make varsity due to the larger talent pool?
Personally, I tend to agree with the smaller campuses although there is duplication of services/facilities.
02skiag
AG
Oogway said:

Perhaps we are misunderstanding each other? I am pointing out that a supercampus, i.e. a campus with 1000+ students in each class year would make it perhaps more difficult for 9-10 graders to make varsity due to the larger talent pool?
Personally, I tend to agree with the smaller campuses although there is duplication of services/facilities.

That exact point was not clear from your post. You'll still have 9/10th graders in athletics and acedemics that would have to be accommodated for regardless if it isn't a high number.

It would be ridiculous for that type of split especially with the continued growth. What do you do once one or both are maxed? Build two new schools instead of one to keep the same split model?
Oogway
I don't know, the split campuses wasn't something I was advocating for in the first place so I guess if that was something that was enacted I'd have to look around and see what other districts have been successful using that type and why did it work...
I doubt that type of campus layout is something in which CSISD is interested.

Like the other person (edit to add-gibby) commented-there is information out there that points to smaller class year sizes of around 400 or so that seem to work well for students- that type of smaller campus seems more manageable to me.
6-4-3
AG
I want the best for both schools and the kids that call those schools home. All I know is that academically, Consol can stand on its own merits. The results speak for themselves. And in my experience, the teachers at Consol are some of the most dedicated and hard-working teachers we've seen across multiple school districts when we lived in other cities.
atm86
AG
So out of all of the discussion, no one has mentioned College View High School. Wonder what that would be able to do to alleviate the overcrowding.
Stupe
S
They offer very little in extracurricular activities and no athletics as far as I know.

So, not much.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.