Building with style craft

7,994 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by birdman
rauser64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Howdy,

My wife and I have decided to build a home with style craft. We are just starting out the process and I wanted to see what others who built with them learned.

What did you like/dislike?
What would you change if you did it again?
What were are some common problems with their homes?
What would you upgrade from their base packages?
What were the costs of some of the upgrades?

We will be building in the Edgewater subdivision in Bryan. Any advice and input would be appreciated.
AggiePirate
AG
I would say try to get them to build the house to where it is touching the outside of the neighbor's house on each side as this will help with utility costs. This should not be a challenge as they place them about a foot apart to begin with.
TexasTransplant13
I built with them just last year, and I was really happy with the process and the end product.

-I liked that they walk you through every step and give you just enough options to make it feel like it's customized, without overwhelming you with a million choices.

-They are always easy to get a hold of, and the superintendent was always there to answer my questions.

-There was an issue with paint touch ups (they used the glossy instead of the matte), and Stylecraft had their painter out there immediately to fix the issue once I reported it.

-They finished on time, and kept me updated if something was different from what we originally discussed.

-I would have adjusted my floor plan just a little if I could have, but I really don't have any complaints. Just preferences here and there.

Honestly, from a first time home buyer perspective, I couldn't be happier. My house is great, I paid a fair price for it, and I was happy with their staff.

I hope you have the same experience!
SommAg
AG
Built with them a year ago as well.

They put those houses up quick, you can get a little surprised by the speed of construction.

Overall good experience, I would build with them again if buying in a similar price range.

The only thing I was unhappy with was not pushing them for a real vent hood over the oven. The microwave filter they have installed by default just doesn't cut it for any real cooking. on the stove top. I have to open the back door if I'm frying something in a skillet of putting a good sear on chicken.
aggiepaintrain
AG
Spray foam insulation is what I would recommend.

They must be doing something right, they have been killing it for over a decade.
gettingitdone
They build them quick and the houses are so close you could basically spit on your neighbors house with out much effort.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
i'll say this...

ask me about 10 years ago i woulda told you to stay away from them.

but now, i think they have improved big time in quality of home they build. also, i dealt with the French family on another matter not too long ago and i felt very good about the way they do business. of course they are in it to make $$$, but I do think they have pretty high standards for themselves on how business should be conducted and how they treat others.
TellMeMore
Randy started here, he and Doug have expanded across the state. They serve their market well with a product that is priced fairly, and seldom dothey pass up a chance to help local organizations. They have profited here and reinvest in BCS. Good citizens.
Oogway
gettingitdone said:

They build them quick and the houses are so close you could basically spit on your neighbors house with out much effort.
That describes Castlegate II quite nicely.
rauser64
This is our first home so I really appreciate all the input. We are just starting the process so getting insight from y'all is very helpful.
The Anchor
AG
gettingitdone said:

That describes the majority of builders these days. Even some higher end neighborhoods.
TellMeMore
The plat is the plat, OP wants to know about the builder. And yep, setback and easement are a thing of the past in almost every development. THAT is not on the builder.
CS78
The vast majority of stylecraft owners are very happy with their homes. They provide a good product for the price. Lots of people have paid more for a home from another builder and like to look down their noses at stylecraft. I bought my first one in 2001, currently own six of their houses, and have never had a significant complaint.
carodz
AG
We did not build with them, but we bought our house in 2016 which was built by them in 2009. I have no complaints as to the workmanship of the house.
CRE-Ag
AG
Doug is a great guy. I know several of their staff well, and they are all top notch guys with high standards.
techno-ag
AG
Stylecraft
Ornlu
AG
BassinAg said:

Doug is a great guy. I know several of their staff well, and they are all top notch guys with high standards.
I've worked with them on plating for several projects. Doug has high standards - anything less and he just won't stand for it.

CS78's right, there's been a lot of hate spread on this forum towards Stylecraft. Most of it originates from people that paid 1.5x as much for a house that's pretty much identical to Stylecraft quality. Stylecraft is slightly different because they are both the developer and the builder. They are responsible for the plat while other custom home builders only builder in subdivisions created by a separate developer. Yes, Stylecraft's marketing MO is to get the smallest lots possible with the smallest setbacks; if you don't like that, just look elsewhere.

Advise for you OP:
1) Take lots and LOTS of photos during construction. Go by there every week, not because the builder needs you to supervise their work, but because once the walls are closed up you will be the only one on earth who really knows what's inside. In 5 years, if you decide to add a sink in the garage or an outlet in the kitchen, those photos will come in handy.
2) Spend extra on the things you can't change easily, and save on the things you can. Upgrade the floor plan, windows, electrical panel size, and any foundation related items. Cheap out on the light fixtures and the crown molding. In the end though, their plans only allow a little customization so just do what you can.
BrazosWifi
We have been in a LOT of houses. Stylecraft homes are no better or worse than other homes in their price-range.

We have been in some TERRIBLE high end homes. Poor framing and uneven sheetrock.
We have been in some GREAT starter homes.

Stylecraft seems to be overall consistent with their build quality. Small lots but the houses themselves are just fine.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
TXCityGirl
We live in a Stylecraft home. I would say upgrade the insulation and make sure you get a thermostat that has time settings. Watch the finishes - ours uses floor tile around the fireplace surround and it's a bummer. Get the crown molding. Our floorplan issue is the master shower is small and the guest bathroom is tiny. If we had bought it during construction, I would have fixed that. If you get a chance to, add a door to the garage that does not go through a laundry room, do that.
I have worked with the company on some of their rental properties (they own many), and they have been very professional and courteous at all times.
beb08
AG
Reading all of these responses makes me feel a lot better. We are building with Stylecraft in the same subdivision, and reading reviews online, they weren't good. However, we have had a great experience thus far and have some friends who also built here last year. We start construction in February. Things we upgraded were canned lights in the living room $90ea (4 of them), Walk-in shower with bench $2200, white cabinets $2000 and stainless steel appliances $270

My husband and I set up a meeting with them not having any intention of buying right now but coming back in a few months and they gave us a deal that we couldn't walk away from that day. (the prices online are for Phase II, we were able to get in on phase 1A)
CRE-Ag
AG
Generally speaking, people only leave reviews when they are angry. Usually they are angry because they screwed up, and don't want to admit that they are wrong.
outlaw08
AG
Fiance and I are also building in Edgewater and so far everything is going well, we like the lot as it backs up the park, and the layout of the house is great although she is mad about being shown one floor plan and it being updated to take away the door to the house instead of the utility room (she wants that to be stand alone)

Now my only issue is that our current house sold much faster than expected and we are scrambling to find something suitable until ours is finished.
I'm a Fightin' Texas Aggie and I will be until I'm dead
CWIsom

Here is FB page for community if you need any info.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/communityedgewater/
birdman
Cheap is best word to describe Stylecraft. Although the price can be higher than you think.

If you are staying in the home for just a few years, you will be okay.

Stylecraft houses don't maintain value because of cheapness. And the fact that they likely built 25 identical to yours hurts you on resale.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.