WJB Project

2,420 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CTGilley
CTGilley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What do we know?

https://wjbproject.com/
BCStalk
We know Blinn outgrew the area and there is no amount of my money the city needs to spend to fix that. These problems didn't exist when it was just Shulman theatres and Ice is Nice. Been in that area for 30 years and Blinn did nothing to plan for the future.
DBSwooper
BCStalk said:

We know Blinn outgrew the area and there is no amount of my money the city needs to spend to fix that. These problems didn't exist when it was just Shulman theatres and Ice is Nice. Been in that area for 30 years and Blinn did nothing to plan for the future.
This is because everything else, every other factor that could be thought of in terms of city growth, surrounding area population growth and such things over the past 30 years have exactly zero to do with any sort of increase in traffic difficulties? It's only Blinn?

BCStalk
Yes. The population growth in my area has not grown enough to justify the traffic increase. There are no new neighborhoods or large businesses. The traffic also seems to disappear during winter break and summer. It's already bad enough that they reworked 29th for the hospital, and they probably won't ever finish that project.
Oogway
There is some truth to BCStalk's assertion regarding Blinn. About a year ago, Blinn had close to 13,000 students at the Bryan campus while in the fall of 2009, there were less than 7000. While that doesn't account for all growth over 30 years, it has definitely had an effect. Maybe the Rellis campus will reduce some of the headaches for those that live in the area.
PS3D
I think the way WJB curls around Sue Haswell Park is awkward, especially the westbound direction, and the houses along it mean that entering and exiting makes the road as a whole more dangerous. My solution, and I know this would be controversial, is to just demolish all the houses on the eastbound side of the road from Emmett to Baker. Build a large noise barrier wall between the houses that are south of that, and then widen the road to six lanes, adding bike lanes instead of the parking lane currently. Restore the north side as a traditional two-way street.
techno-ag
AG
Oogway said:

Maybe the Rellis campus will reduce some of the headaches for those that live in the area.
That would be good. Blinn seems packed. I always thought all that parking would be good on gamedays.
FlyRod
halibut sinclair
CTGilley
AG
That is exactly what I was telling my wife.
OnlyANobody
I'm sure that part of the additional traffic is from the BISD schools being rezoned. I know that I'm now contributing to that traffic, when, without the rezoning, we would have never been at SFA.
DBSwooper
Oogway said:

There is some truth to BCStalk's assertion regarding Blinn. About a year ago, Blinn had close to 13,000 students at the Bryan campus while in the fall of 2009, there were less than 7000. While that doesn't account for all growth over 30 years, it has definitely had an effect. Maybe the Rellis campus will reduce some of the headaches for those that live in the area.

Yes, but there has been other significant growth in terms of businesses in the area in the past 30 years (remember DTB even 20 years ago). Contrary to what some would like to believe, this isn't small town Texas any longer. My point is that for all traffic in B/CS there needs to be significant roadway upgrades in both cities and the WJB has needed it for at least 15 years.
CTGilley
AG
The traffic from Blinn is minor. The majority of the traffic is coming from down town to 6. If you try travel that route during busy hours it is backed up from 6 to the swimming pool.
Oogway
I agree; both cities have roadway and infrastructure needs that have been deferred too long.
CTGilley
AG
Meeting Today at 4.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.