Greens Prairie Reserve

10,713 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 95_Aggie
Oogway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So, as noted (thanks carpe vinum!) in the BCS Coming & Going thread, there was a preliminary plat for a development called Greens Prairie Reserve. 902 lots on 369 acres or something like that. It is located along Greens Prairie Road and Arrington Road.

https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/2920700/last (Hope I did that right.)

It was pointed out that the entrance/exits to this new development will align with Harpers Ferry (Nantucket) on the east/west along Arrington, and also Castlegate on the north/south along Greens Prairie. DaveAg99 mentioned that folks living in Nantucket might be upset (paraphrase). After some reflection, I'm not so sure. I mean, other than being upset that it is growth in their backyard so to speak, locating the two entrances across from each other like that might enhance traffic signal placement so that one didn't have two stop lights or stop signs within 100 yards of each other. What do you all think? This growth is going to happen, how would you manage it if you were king or queen of the realm?

Also, is it better to have the road widened ahead of development if the development machinery tears up the road and it has to be rebuilt or widen it after the development and impact fees have been assessed?

Curious to know what folks think. Excited? Angry? Not interested in the slightest?

*Carpe vinum--apologies, but I couldn't figure out how to include your plat picture in the link.
PS3D
Ingress/egress is extremely limited. Greens Prairie Road/Arrington is going to need help, and a lot of that is just going to pile onto Highway 40 or route through Nantucket/South Oaks again. A cynical idea is that the city could use that as collateral against Nantucket, like "get annexed and we can install speed humps on Harpers Ferry". Additionally, it also puts more pressure on Arrington Road, which needs to be extended to Millican Reserve. (Ideally, Decatur should be connected to Longmire, and a traffic circle installed at Decatur and Arrington, but I digress...)

But then again, it makes sense for Harpers Ferry to be used more often, as Nantucket doesn't connect and it raises the question of why Nantucket gets its very own highway interchange and southbound exit if it's not used by anyone else.

carpe vinum
AG

Oogway
Thank you Carpe Vinum! Trying to keep the other Coming & Going thread from going off the rails.
carpe vinum
AG
This is squarely "in my backyard" so to speak.
When we bought 10 years ago we knew it was "ground zero" for development.
We never intended to stay more than 5-6 years, so it was treated as an investment.
That investment has shown exactly the monetary appreciation we forecast, but I love the place, and will likely stay a while longer.

That creates some turmoil because the quiet little place we moved to no longer exists, and our once quiet street is already a racetrack for wayward Castlegaters trying to skip the light at 40/Arrington, and Indian Lakers with one way in/one way out.

Were I a Harpers Ferry resident or Nantuckite in general, I'd be pissed.

But 10 years ago the writing was on the wall.

I see both sides live in 3D daily.

On the plus side, countless cool restaurants, shops, stores will be within walking or horseback distance.

Downside, we may need a traffic light at every intersection to navigate what I've long thought would be ground zero for development.
AgsWin2011
AG
When will lots be available to builders and the public? My wife and I are looking to build a new home in the next year or two. We like the Estates at Creek Meadows except the one street where the houses are right next to each other (Long Creek I think). I think the rest of the neighborhood will be pretty much filled in by that time. We also like the new Lick Creek neighborhood and it looks like the progress out there is moving at a snails pace.
carpe vinum
AG
Pretty sure Oldham Goodwin is bankrolling it, call them, ask for Casey or Hunter.
D_Wag97
AG
Let them bankroll some new roads while they're at it. It's BS that many more cars are going to be on GP and Arrington. Widening will not help the number of cars. New roads need to be built for alternatives for all of South CS to get to 40 and 6.
CS78
Any idea what the time frame is before finished houses go up? What about minimum square footage?
SCHTICK00
AG
D_Wag97 said:

Let them bankroll some new roads while they're at it. It's BS that many more cars are going to be on GP and Arrington. Widening will not help the number of cars. New roads need to be built for alternatives for all of South CS to get to 40 and 6.

Finish 40 as a freeway and connect it with 47 and boom, we have a loop and things start moving again. Genius
carpe vinum
AG
No taxing entity at this juncture has the cash to make that happen.
Too many individual owners in that line.
carpe vinum
AG
Where you will eventually see a West Loop is crossing the Brazos and traversing Burleson County.
Give it 10 years tops, and you'll see plans.
Captn_Ag05
AG
How many people live in the Nantucket/Indian Lake/Milican Reserve neighborhoods?
AgsWin2011
AG
SCHTICK00 said:

D_Wag97 said:

Finish 40 as a freeway and connect it with 47 and boom, we have a loop and things start moving again. Genius
This would be great but it would get in the way of all the additional duplex and apartments that could be built. (rolls eyes)

Seriously though, if they could somehow do this, it would be amazing. I'm currently working out at the RELLIS campus and 2818 is a nightmare after work. Between all the stop lights and apartments, it adds a good 15-20 minutes to my commute. I know, I know, it's not as bad as Houston and DFW, but that's part of the reason I live here to not deal with the BS traffic. Most days it's faster if I get on 21 and hit 6 to go home. It sure was nice during Christmas Break when all the students were gone.
Oogway
I'm not sure of the numbers, especially since I don't think they aren't completely built out in some of the neighborhoods but it is a lot more than you would think.

Heismenberg--those homes out near Lick Creek are sweet. Very nice work on some of those, but you pay for it, too. With the Lakeway extension the neighborhoods over there will be in clover.

I think carpe vinum is most likely correct in the odds of a West Loop being further south. Plus, TXDOT took a big hit with the hurricane and a lot of things have been deferred due to more pressing needs.
ukbb2003
Arrington and Greens Prairie are about to become nightmares. Adding two more schools, 392 lots, and 1 or 2 apartment complexes on Arrington. They better fix the roads first.
carpe vinum
AG
The County and the City are both ignoring it hoping the other will pay.
Melt their phone lines and inboxes if you want anything done.
scs01
carpe vinum said:

In late 2017 the county signed contracts for preliminary work on reconstructing Arrington. These were for appraisal services to obtain necessary right of way and engineering services. (Not hard to find by searching the agendas for the Commissioner's Court at www.brazoscountytx.gov.). So maybe something will get done...not fast by their past record, but they seem to be moving.

Ornlu
AG
scs01 said:

carpe vinum said:

In late 2017 the county signed contracts for preliminary work on reconstructing Arrington. These were for appraisal services to obtain necessary right of way and engineering services. (Not hard to find by searching the agendas for the Commissioner's Court at www.brazoscountytx.gov.). So maybe something will get done...not fast by their past record, but they seem to be moving.

Regardless of whether it's the City or County, here's what their schedule will look like:
1) Planning for ROW acquisition, 3 months. Complete approx. March 2018.
2) ROW acquisition, 4 months if uncontested, but 24 months if anyone fights it (they will). Complete approx. March 2020.
3) Start design work for roadway in late 2019, complete it in January 2020.
4) Bid announcement in April 2020, select a contractor in July 2020. Start construction in October 2020.
5) Complete construction in early 2022.
TheAlarmGuy
is this the one going Mud?
UmustBKidding
This is not in the mud. This is the one that during the update of the comprehensive plan the water department said if they make this one and the one next to it high density residential the existing infrastructure could not handle it. Think the estimate to upgrade was about 20mil. The p&z people were f them we are going to designate it all high density and water can just Figure it out duh they are had and it costs 20M. I think this is why they so happy when another developer agreed to upgrade some the sewer infrastructure at 40 and Lakeway. This is just further exercise of the cocs p&z more rooftops a trip any cost.
aggiecjtj
Anything new going on with this subdivision? What are the lot sizes and starting price points? Who are the home builders?
Oogway
Their website says June. They have a form you can fill out for updates if you're interested. If Castlegate II is nearing build out, I would expect this tract and the Southern Pointe development to start gaining rooftops. I think building at SP is underway? Some of those builders are: Omega, Kaleo, and Stylecraft. Both communities will be large. That will definitely drive some retail south. Welcome to your traffic nightmare!
dallasiteinsa02
June? Unless they are almost done with roads and infrastructure, which you can't tell from Arrington and Greens Prairie, this is just fantasy.
Oogway
It says "summer" but I am pretty sure I saw June listed somewhere.
scs01
dallasiteinsa02 said:

June? Unless they are almost done with roads and infrastructure, which you can't tell from Arrington and Greens Prairie, this is just fantasy.
The Arrington Road rebuild just started, and the official time frame is 5 months. It's closed down now except to those who live on Arrington. I don't understand all of the ins and outs, but from what we were told they were originally going to three lanes (1 each direction plus center turn) but scaled back to two just lanes as it is now. Seems like they should be doing more to expand capacity, given how much more traffic Arrington will see as Greens Prairie Reserve and the new apartment complexes are occupied.
legalbird
curious, will it have asphalt road? concrete? gravel?
Oogway
I haven't seen anything specific other than it will be widened to 28? feet, culverts added, etc.

As far as The Ranch at Arrington (the apartment complex), I do believe they announced they would be renting by the unit (not by bedroom) and are targeting young professionals and/or families. I think the original document said it will be two and three bedroom. With the way the area businesses have increased in that area, I would imagine that multifamily housing is beneficial for those that work nearby.
aggiecjtj
Arrington Road is definitely under construction. It looks like they are widening it to three lanes.

Based on driving by it, I'm not sure they'll be ready by this summer as they stated. I've heard it was going to be 1200-1400 tight lots. Then I heard around 700 lots. I'm still wondering if it's suppose to be like Castlegate or Dove Crossing.
BrazosWifi
I think the latest design is 936ish lots.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
Oogway
The lots are not very large so I guess it depends upon the square footage of the home. Personally, I'd rather have a largish lot with a small home but the trend seems to be the other way.

BrazosWifi
Oogway said:

The lots are not very large so I guess it depends upon the square footage of the home. Personally, I'd rather have a largish lot with a small home but the trend seems to be the other way.

I agree with you but there is something to say about having a nice house without the hassle of a big lawn.

To each, their own.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
crappydad
FYI...Homes will start going up in July.
Oogway
I can't argue with that, but largish lot does not have to have a traditional lawn (unless you live in a subdivision with a restrictive HOA).

July for the start? I imagine that once begun, things will progress quickly then.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

FYI...Homes will start going up in July.
And as usual infrastructure seems to be lagging behind.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.