Driving conditions around town - 1/16/18

3,112 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Scruffy
unmade bed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone else venturing out to go to work this morning? If so, any updates on roads?

Is highway 6 okay? Any overpasses particularly bad??
texasaggie2015
AG
Heading to the office here in about 30 minutes. Gonna be interesting.
Scruffy
AG
Construction workers around northgate have made it in fine.

As long as one drives carefully it should be ok, and the more people driving will improve the roads.
Stupe
S
My driveway is a little slick.

The roads will actually get more slick as the sun comes up this morning. The open roads are going to be the issue more than the roads in town. The wind is gusting pretty bad.
texasaggie2015
AG
Is it cold outside? Should I wear a jacket?
curry97
AG
My drive is from south College Station to St. Joseph area. I drove 50 to 55 mph on 6 with no issues except for the gusts of wind at times. Several cars are in the ditch along 6 so be aware of emergency vehicles. Several streets that I drove on are already dry
BCStalk
Didn't see this. WJB and downtown Bryan are frozen
BCStalk
Ice patches down 21 between Bryan and Caldwell. I would recommend not driving it

Edit: also one of the news cars is posted on the side of the road by one of the bridges but not sure why.
91_Aggie
AG
I just drove from Barron down to University Drive and Back on Hwy 6 to make sure it was safe (I have a team that has to be at work and wanted to make sure it was safe).

No ice on the Harvey Road overpass nor one the University drive overpass.

Saw lots of cars driving.

Had a worker already here from further in Bryan and he said he drove 65MPH all the way here

I did see 5 cars in the median, but I'm not sure what they did to get there. Had to be driving unsafe for wet road conditions. One was way in the median right past Rock Prairie (going north) and was a truck on its side. He had to have been really go fast to get that far into the median and sideways.

So safe to drive... just go slow and if you are concerned about overpasses, do this when you get to one:
1) Take your foot off the gas
2) keep the steering wheel straight
3) and just coast over it. Do not hit your brakes while crossing and do not accelerate until you are over it.
AgDotCom
Thank you all for the reports. Valuable info for me.
doubledog
If you have not driven on ice before, do not try to learn now. Warning black ice is worse than solid ice.
TexasTransplant13
Drive from Villa Maria/2818 to Downtown Bryan was just fine.
Stupe
S
Ice pellets are coming down in Tower Point. The roads are going to start getting more ice on them this morning than they did last night.
TheAlarmGuy
a reasonable speed would be?????

about 20 to 30 for me, what say you?
Sponsor Message: Advanced Security Concepts | Reliable security by dependable people at an affordable price | david1@advancedsec.com | 979-690-8516 | State Lic B09523
LOYAL AG
AG
4WD doesn't make your vehicle safer on ice. It might mean you break an axle, though. 4WD wasn't made for this kind of stuff. AWD can make your vehicle safer on ice. If you're not sure which of those you have you might shouldn't take that chance. Trucks and Jeeps are going to be 4WD. SUV's that are made for the road (BMW X5 for example) would be AWD while those made to be sporty may be 4WD (Nissan XTerra, for example). Be safe out there and please take your time.
brents1975
I work in downtown Bryan... I just witnessed a Green Mustang sliding sideways down WJB. I could feel my vehicle sliding as well but slow speeds kept it in check. Good luck!
"That's a loss for our football team." - Dennis Franchione
doubledog
Quote:

4WD doesn't make your vehicle safer on ice
I agree. 4WD means that you will have four wheels spinning loose rather than two (assuming pos-trac). The best thing for ice is to slow down and do not break (unless you really need to), let the car slow you down, keep it in drive (2nd or 3rd for manual transmissions and slip the clutch when you need to move), go straight (no weaving thru traffic) and finally give yourself plenty of room.
FlyRod
University near West Campus was a tad slick, but otherwise manageable.
91_Aggie
AG
Stupe said:

Ice pellets are coming down in Tower Point. The roads are going to start getting more ice on them this morning than they did last night.
That "storm" blew through pretty quick... no accumulation.
AgDotCom
Three weeks ago we became owners of a Subaru Outback. Guess we might find out any benefits it has on ice or snow today, but the wife will drive it cautiously like any other car on a day like today. I hear it's great for these conditions but not tempted to test it like it's a magic bullet.
91_Aggie
AG
AgDotCom said:

Three weeks ago we became owners of a Subaru Outback. Guess we might find out any benefits it has on ice or snow today, but the wife will drive it cautiously like any other car on a day like today. I hear it's great for these conditions but not tempted to test it like it's a magic bullet.
Back in the 1988/89 ice storm where there was about a half inch of ice on every road for 2-3 full days, a friend of ours had a Subaru 4-wheel drive... they had gone to see a concert in houston the night storm came in... they were able to drive back from houston on completely iced roads at about 30-35 MPH. Wheras, my nissan truck with only back wheel drive could barely go about 10MPH and was in constant danger of skidding out of control.

There is some benefit to 4WD on pure ice, but I still wouldn't try to drive like conditions were normal.... assuming you can find a road today that is actually iced over enough to test on.
AgDotCom
The Subaru has continuous AWD, whether you want it or not, and supposedly distributes power / torque to each wheel where needed and when needed. We liked the AWD primarily for wet roads, especially those where you get a slight mist or drizzle after they've been dry for a long time. The ice / snow performance is just a bonus around where we live. I've always driven a pickup, and had some near calamities on "barely wet roads".

Totally agree on the advice to take it easy today, regardless of what you're driving. I think the issue may not be roads with a lot of ice on them, but that random patch of ice that gets you by surprise.
Scruffy
AG
Saw a few possible spots on University by Zachry and on the Wellborn overpass.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.