JP precinct 1?

6,992 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by maddiedou
chrisfield
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
I don't know that; but I'm sure he would be happy to answer at the next forum. But I'll be honest that probably matters less to me than others. I always have several things going at once and believe that balancing can be done by many folks who want to do it.
TheAlarmGuy
it's a tough job, you have to and need to be able to give this 100%.. you can work all day at JP or your job and still be able to get up in the middle of the night to attend that person who just died .
TLIAC
AG
cslifer said:

But do we know if he would be a full time JP?
This! I have a real problem as a taxpayer paying a full-time salary to a part-time JP.
gettingitdone
If I was required to be on call 24/7 and get up in the middle of the night because someone was deceased in my precinct, I would expect full time pay. How many hours is reasonably considered full time?
cslifer
It is a couple of things that make it full time. First of all have your office open with you present 40 hrs a week. Second is when you are the on call guy you need to answer your phone and actually respond when needed, this doesn't mean showing up 2 hours later throwing a fit because dispatch has called you 5 times. It is a full time job with a full time salary and benefits.
ETA:
Mcleary has done a great job with the above items, but in the past others haven't. I would hate to see us slide back to the bad old days.
Aggie99
AG
Let's let each candidate state whether they will operate in a full-time capacity (and if not, then why not), before deciding whether or not to vote for someone based on whether we think or believe they plan on making this a full-time thing.

In other words, if that is important to you, make sure you find out whether they will be full time before deciding in your mind that a candidate probably will or won't be full time.
Rexter
cslifer said:

It is a couple of things that make it full time. First of all have your office open with you present 40 hrs a week. Second is when you are the on call guy you need to answer your phone and actually respond when needed, this doesn't mean showing up 2 hours later throwing a fit because dispatch has called you 5 times. It is a full time job with a full time salary and benefits.
ETA:
Mcleary has done a great job with the above items, but in the past others haven't. I would hate to see us slide back to the bad old days.

So Mcleary is a part-time judge. Correct? His office is closed on Friday.
OnlyANobody
Rexter said:

cslifer said:

ETA:

So Mcleary is a part-time judge. Correct? His office is closed on Friday.
I looked at that. I once had a traffic violation and my date to appear was on a Thursday, but the office was closed that day, without signage saying why. I was not penalized for being unable to appear until Monday. (Due to their closure)

In any event, he accomplishes the "open 40 hours a week", by being open 10 hours a day on Monday through Thursday. (7:30am - 5:30pm)
cslifer
Not sure how you arrived at the conclusion that if they close Fridays it makes him part time. Last I checked 10x4=40.
Rexter
Government offices should be open every business day of the week.
Bigderk21
AG
Another for Joshua Benn here! Would be a great JP!
AggieMom_38
Do we know yet whether Benn would be full-time JP? I think he'd be really great as well, but this is a concern. A law practice would be difficult to manage in addition to JP. And is there any conflict? I don't know a lot about this.
Aggie99
AG
For what it is worth.....I was able to speak to Josh Benn recently and I asked him about the full-time thing. He said that he will be a full time JP.

He said that when you consider all that is done (administrative items like budgets and staffing, continuing judicial training, performing inquests, setting bonds, etc.), the job is actually more than "full time."

He alluded to the entire job, and everything it entails, as being very similar to running a small business.

maddiedou
AG
Kenny is having event at Yesterdays bar and grill tonight from 5-8. If you have any questions.

Also Kenny also is going to take full retirement from the Sherriffs office and work full time plus. If anybody knows him he works nonstop at the sherriffs office now and he said he would bring that to the JP office
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.