BCS Coming & Going: Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2018)

703,868 Views | 2375 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mgreen
Tailgate88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Attention Boy Scouts and camping fans - there is a camping store, possibly a BSA Camping Store, being built north of 21 on 2818 (near BAGS). I don't have much more info at this time but apparently they have been operating online for awhile and are ready to make the jump to brick & mortar.
Average Joe
AG
australopithecus robustus said:

Republic will do well, but it looks like their rent's about to triple and I doubt that their sales will also.

From what I was told they were given a sweet deal on rent at the new place in order to get them out of the old place.
B$Weigem
AG
Heismenberg said:

nought said:

ethridgem said:

AggiePhil said:

Long John Silver's needs to come to south CS.

lol no

Oh yes, that would be great. It should take over the old Bush's Chicken location. Fish n More mmmmmmmmm (and yes I am serious).
I'd rather see a Wings N' More Express in that location.
Growing up here I have always loved Wings N' More, but i'd be lying if I said they haven't gone down on my list... the wings get smaller and smaller and even more expensive. The last 5 times I have had it, the wings have been lightly sauced and somewhat cold. I hate to say it, but Wingstop has probably taken the place of Wings N' More in my heart and I could not be more sad about it. All wings has to do is get bigger wings!!! 16 pc at wings is = to 5 Wings at Wingstop its ridiculous!
B$Weigem
AG
mgreen said:

nashvilleaggie11 said:

The owners of West End Elixir will be opening 5 Knocks Speakeasy coming May 2018.
More adult bars. Love it.
Eventually they need to put a few older crowd bars in Downtown Bryan and have a tran system going back and forth between NG and Downtown. That way you have the pick of the litter of what type of scene you want. That and maybe even the new city center area.
LightningDammitt
AG
Salloh_Baloo said:

mgreen said:

nashvilleaggie11 said:

The owners of West End Elixir will be opening 5 Knocks Speakeasy coming May 2018.
More adult bars. Love it.
Eventually they need to put a few older crowd bars in Downtown Bryan and have a tran system going back and forth between NG and Downtown. That way you have the pick of the litter of what type of scene you want. That and maybe even the new city center area.
Given the crowds at Downtown Elixir, 5 Knocks will be an "older crowd" bar... and they are downtown too!
KidDoc
AG
Salloh_Baloo said:

Heismenberg said:

nought said:

ethridgem said:

AggiePhil said:

lol no

Oh yes, that would be great. It should take over the old Bush's Chicken location. Fish n More mmmmmmmmm (and yes I am serious).
Growing up here I have always loved Wings N' More, but i'd be lying if I said they haven't gone down on my list... the wings get smaller and smaller and even more expensive. The last 5 times I have had it, the wings have been lightly sauced and somewhat cold. I hate to say it, but Wingstop has probably taken the place of Wings N' More in my heart and I could not be more sad about it. All wings has to do is get bigger wings!!! 16 pc at wings is = to 5 Wings at Wingstop its ridiculous!

Pluckers ruined both for me, it is so good.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgsWin2011
AG
KidDoc said:

Salloh_Baloo said:

Heismenberg said:

nought said:

ethridgem said:

AggiePhil said:

lol no

Pluckers ruined both for me, it is so good.

Agree with all of these statements. Just figured the love W&M always gets that it would do better there. I love Wing Stop but never go because it's way out of the way for us. Their fries are awesome too.

We got wings n more to go a month or two ago and it was awful. I would have rather had frozen wings and fries from the grocery store.

And for Pluckers.... well.... damn I miss that place. We lived in DFW for about 4 years before we got the opportunity to move back to CS. They would do awesome here. I put a list of DFW food places I miss below just because they're on my wish list for BCS.

Taco Bueno
Grandy's (breakfast)
Tupinamba's (Tupy's) which is Aggie owned btw
Cowboy Chicken
Sweet Basil's
iFratelli Pizza
LA Burger
Deliman's Grill
KidDoc
AG
Oogway said:

Spicy marinara? You have my attention...any other recs off the menu or should I scroll back a coupla pages?
They have a large selection of toppings you basically pick what you want like Freebirds or subway. I made mine with mozzarella, spicy marinara, bacon, grilled chicken, roasted garlic, basil leaves, onions, and oregano sprinkled on top. They are $8.25 10" no matter how many toppings so plenty for two people. I was very impressed even though they were pretty overwhelmed with parent's weekend/spring game crowds.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
B$Weigem
AG
Wing Stop would put a huge dent in Wings 'N Mores success if they were bigger and served alcohol. Honestly, I think Wings N More has become a place that is sold based on the environment and Alcohol alone. Buffalo Wild Wings has alcohol but it's just not the same as Wings b/c they were they staple for wings in CS. I agree, the location of Wing Stop is tough for most, but I live off University and forever grateful bc of it!
CharlieBrown17
AG
Taco Bueno would be a great addition, don't want it often but sometimes it's exactly what sounds good
Average Joe
AG
Salloh_Baloo said:

Wing Stop would put a huge dent in Wings 'N Mores success if they were bigger and served alcohol. Honestly, I think Wings N More has become a place that is sold based on the environment and Alcohol alone. Buffalo Wild Wings has alcohol but it's just not the same as Wings b/c they were they staple for wings in CS. I agree, the location of Wing Stop is tough for most, but I live off University and forever grateful bc of it!
W&M also has a lot of other food that is pretty good. They don't have the best of anything, except onion rings, but everything I have had there is quality. Combine that with the atmosphere, alcohol, and variety of food and they are a good choice. However, if you are looking for just wings then there are better options.
Oogway
Thanks for the info! I may try them soon on a day when they are less likely to be slammed with customers from out of town and then do what we usually do-eat at places in the summer. They sure sound good!
zachsccr
AG
Our experience at C-Rod backs up that story. Staff seemed lost except for 2 people, chicken tasted like it was microwaved, and it just wasn't the same as it used to be. We will be moving from the area soon, so it was disappointing to have our last outing fall flat.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Taco Beuno really does need to come to BCS.
blinnboy83
Have you guys been to Taco Casa? It's like a better run, better tasting version of Taco Bueno. It's great.
CDub06
AG
Except they put olives on tacos like some sort of heathens
Tailgate88
AG
Average Joe said:

Salloh_Baloo said:

W&M also has a lot of other food that is pretty good. They don't have the best of anything, except onion rings, but everything I have had there is quality. Combine that with the atmosphere, alcohol, and variety of food and they are a good choice. However, if you are looking for just wings then there are better options.

I haven't been in Wings & More lately but it seems like they serve a lot more tenders than wings.
halibut sinclair
Salloh_Baloo said:

Wing Stop in Bryan does have beer.
Average Joe
AG
Tailgate88 said:

Average Joe said:

Salloh_Baloo said:

I haven't been in Wings & More lately but it seems like they serve a lot more tenders than wings.

That's what I get most times. I wish they would bring back their buffalo burger, though.
CN

Quote:

W&M also has a lot of other food that is pretty good. They don't have the best of anything, except onion rings, but everything I have had there is quality.
They have the best blue cheese dressing. That's the only thing I miss from not going there anymore.
PS3D
CDub06 said:

Taco Bell used to have olives on everything until the 1990s.
oklaunion
CDub06 said:

Except you can ask them not to include olives and add chopped onions at no charge. The Taco Casa super burrito is one of the best I have eaten at a fast food joint.
Nothing compares to the Chicken Club Burrito at Taco Bell back in the 90s however.
CactusThomas
AG
PS3D said:

CDub06 said:

Taco Bell used to have olives on everything until the 1990s.

That's easily the most interesting thing I've read today. Surprised I don't remember that.
carpe vinum
AG
Taco Casa has many similarities to the original Taco Bells.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I find the chalupa from taco casa to be better than chalupas from many sit down Tex mex places.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Tailgate88 said:

Attention Boy Scouts and camping fans - there is a camping store, possibly a BSA Camping Store, being built north of 21 on 2818 (near BAGS). I don't have much more info at this time but apparently they have been operating online for awhile and are ready to make the jump to brick & mortar.

Are there BSA camping stores elsewhere?
The Anchor
AG
I don't feel like starting a new thread, so I will just post this here. We went to Campfire (the new restaurant at the Stella Hotel).

The service was excellent. The atmosphere was nice. The food was average, at best. For ~$25-$30 a plate we were not impressed. I had the short rib and my wife had the shellfish cassoulet. Neither dish had much flavor. The beef was tender, but it tasted like a store bought roast beef with nothing added to it. Her dish tasted really fishy, like bad seafood. The food tasted like it should have been served at lower level chain restaurant.
Captn_Ag05
AG
I believe that Campfire just changed executive chefs. Not sure if that is the problem or he was brought in to address the problem.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
They'll fix it or they'll be closed.

No excuse for bad seafood or under-seasoned anything.

I haven't been there yet but I really want it to be better than Traditions dinner offerings.

Need a good place I can reach in my golf cart
The Anchor said:

I don't feel like starting a new thread, so I will just post this here. We went to Campfire (the new restaurant at the Stella Hotel).

The service was excellent. The atmosphere was nice. The food was average, at best. For ~$25-$30 a plate we were not impressed. I had the short rib and my wife had the shellfish cassoulet. Neither dish had much flavor. The beef was tender, but it tasted like a store bought roast beef with nothing added to it. Her dish tasted really fishy, like bad seafood. The food tasted like it should have been served at lower level chain restaurant.
I have been to Campfire on three different occasions, and the food has always been subpar. Hopefully, the new chef can right the ship. It is just too far to drive from south CS to spend $30/entre for food that that is mediocre at best.
Wicked Good Ag
In regards to campfire. We always give a restaurant a second chance on the oft notion that we caught it at a bad time

Campfire is the exception to that rule. Won't ever go back. Food was below average and too high of price. We were also not impressed with the service for that one time.

Cyp0111
Of all the newer "upscale" restaurants in town I think Poppy is by far the best. Excellent concept, execution from the start
KidDoc
AG
My experience with Campfire was the same as everyone else when we went about 3 months ago. High price point, food consistent with Applebees or Chilis.
The Anchor
AG
KidDoc said:

My experience with Campfire was the same as everyone else when we went about 3 months ago. High price point, food consistent with Applebees or Chilis.

I've had much better food at Applebees and Chili's.
Wicked Good Ag
Cyp0111 said:

Of all the newer "upscale" restaurants in town I think Poppy is by far the best. Excellent concept, execution from the start

Went for lunch a few weeks back Wife loved it and we will try dinner sometime soon but other activities have caused the baby sitter fees to hit our entertainment budget lately

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.