Jones Crossing Development

7,382 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by DontBeTriggered
Captn_Ag05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
City podcast with the developers of Jones Crossing talking plans.

https://blog.cstx.gov/2017/12/15/podcast-is-this-a-thing-what-you-dont-know-about-jones-crossing/

Few things:

1) sounds like they have some tenants lined up but waiting until ten to do an annocunement
2) HEB is supposed to open in August
3) the desire for a movie theater is interesting. With a third on the way, I am not sure the current demand. Unless it's an Alamo Drafthouse.

I think an LA Fitness would do well at that spot.

Also at the 17 minute mark or so they discuss working with the city. This city podcast makes it sound easy and great!
TheAlarmGuy
Yes to Alamo Drafthouse and Top Golf Please
Sponsor Message: Advanced Security Concepts | Reliable security by dependable people at an affordable price | david1@advancedsec.com | 979-690-8516 | State Lic B09523
Oogway
Did the podcast specifically mention a Top Golf? That type of facility typically requires about 13 acres (the tract is 72 acres I think). By the time the padsites, HEB, parking spaces and the 600 unit multifamily housing phases are complete, room for that would be limited wouldn't it? Would hate to see one go into there when there might be better locations.
Captn_Ag05
AG
No mention or even an inference to top golf. They do want lifestyle tenants (gyms, restaurants, etc). Not looking to things you can get off internet. They want an entertainment element and say that it is key to the project. Referenced a movie theater as a major interest.
The Original AG 76
AG
LUBY'S !!!!!!!

seriously

And a top notch breakfast house... non-chain please
PS3D
The Original AG 76 said:

Stella Southern Cafe is opening next year near Rock Prairie.
The Original AG 76
AG
PS3D said:

The Original AG 76 said:

Stella Southern Cafe is opening next year near Rock Prairie.
that is great news. lots of empty dirt on Wellborn from Koppe Bridge to RP for development. Would love to see a REAL ACE Hardware give it another try and actually be open during the hours and days that it takes to be a hardware store. ACE is a great place when you don't feel like driving all the way to Lowes for a fitting or a tool.
InMyOpinion
TheAlarmGuy said:

While I would love to have a top golf, I don't even think it's feasible until BCS gets to about 500k in population.
PS3D
Captn_Ag05 said:

Also at the 17 minute mark or so they discuss working with the city. This city podcast makes it sound easy and great!

I know what this forum says, but I really do wonder about the horror stories about working with the city. The city definitely seems to greenlight a lot of things, including several major multi-story buildings in Northgate area and others, like Embassy Suites, and with the exception of a few specific cases (Cajuns Bayou Grille, trying to get a patio built) most are just vague "I know a guy who wanted to do something in College Station" hearsay stories.

Not saying that those are made up, but the often evasive and vague ways those posts are written always make me question the source.
monkeyaround
It seems most of the horror stories about working with the city are based on experiences from a few years ago. As I understand it, the city has streamlined things quite a bit the last few years. I know the developer of the Embassy Suites also praised the city, so it seems something has changed for the better.

People need to understand that many of the sins of past city councils and administrations are long gone. No one in a major leadership position in the city was around even 5 years ago.
Captn_Ag05
AG
If the developers want an entertainment component, what about a Main Event?

Does this board think 1) that would be a good location and 2) that it could be successful in BCS?
The Original AG 76
AG
monkeyaround said:

It seems most of the horror stories about working with the city are based on experiences from a few years ago. As I understand it, the city has streamlined things quite a bit the last few years. I know the developer of the Embassy Suites also praised the city, so it seems something has changed for the better.

People need to understand that many of the sins of past city councils and administrations are long gone. No one in a major leadership position in the city was around even 5 years ago.

IF this is true then the city or the Chamber needs to do a real PR campaign that FIRST acknowledges the well deserved bad rep all over the commercial community statewide and then really put on the show to convince the $$$$ that CS is finally open for business.
Doubt it will happen but it would be a YUGE step in the right direction
JayHowdy!
TheAlarmGuy said:

We are NOT getting a Top Golf. There is nowhere near the population. Head to your nearest driving range and drink a beer as you hit. Same thing.
redd38
AG
JayHowdy! said:

TheAlarmGuy said:

We are NOT getting a Top Golf. There is nowhere near the population. Head to your nearest driving range and drink a beer as you hit. Same thing.

Towns smaller than B/CS have Top Golfs so...
Ornlu
AG
redd38 said:

JayHowdy! said:

TheAlarmGuy said:

Which Top Golf is located in an area with a smaller population than B/CS? Our official MSA is listed at 255,589. I flipped through their whole list, and the smallest is Huntsville AL with 435,737.
redd38
AG
Ornlu said:

redd38 said:

JayHowdy! said:

TheAlarmGuy said:

Which Top Golf is located in an area with a smaller population than B/CS? Our official MSA is listed at 255,589. I flipped through their whole list, and the smallest is Huntsville AL with 435,737.
Huntsville is smaller than B/CS. The reason their "metro area" has a larger population is because their metro area covers 4 times as much land. The population density of the College Station metro area is twice that of the Huntsville metro area. So we could expand the College Station "metro area" to include enough towns to overtake Huntsville if that's what mattered.
PS3D
The Original AG 76 said:

monkeyaround said:

IF this is true then the city or the Chamber needs to do a real PR campaign that FIRST acknowledges the well deserved bad rep all over the commercial community statewide and then really put on the show to convince the $$$$ that CS is finally open for business.

My point is that I've never heard a story on this board that goes into any specifics. It's believable that the city would reject plans for some petty reason, but all of this should be public domain somewhere on the city servers.
MisterShipWreck
The Original AG 76 said:

LUBY'S !!!!!!!

seriously

We had 2 before, and they could not make it here
rsa
AG
MisterShipWreck said:

The Original AG 76 said:

LUBY'S !!!!!!!

seriously

We had 2 before, and they could not make it here
Yep. But to be fair, Luby's closed 25 under-performing stores in 2009, so it wasn't just our market :-)
PS3D
Only way we'd get Luby's back is if Fuddruckers moved from its current location and was rebuilt as a combo Luby's/Fuddruckers, which is very possible but I wouldn't count on it.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Forgot Fuddruckers was still open!

In addition to the HEB, it sounds like there is a confirmed Chick Fil A for this site. If they can add LA Fitness/24 Hour Fitness, Main Event, and an Alamo Drafthouse, it will be a nice little development. Make it happen developers
EBrazosAg
AG
TopGolf is a real estate play in addition to the entertainment business. They buy (don't rent) on the edge of growing metro areas and basically have a business that generates pretty good income while they wait for the real estate to appreciate and sell off. The business keeps moving further out along the leading edge of growth, not too far in, not too far out. At least that's the explanation I have read about the company - it's privately held I believe.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Oogway
Well there you go, golfers; perhaps you need to petition Navasota to get a Top Golf!
Captn_Ag05
AG
Maybe this will be a good location for the Dunkin Donuts that is looking for a location as well as the rumored In and Out Burger.
Bullpen Chias
AG
I laughed at "Luby's".
jja79
AG
If you expand the Huntsville area the population is closer to 700,000. You don't just expand statistical areas. If you could you could eliminate east and SE because those people would go to Spring. Go South and they'd go to Katy. They already have Top Golf.

Huntsville also has a NASA center. That probably has a lot of their target market plus the visitors that spins off.

Would you invest a few million hoping to capture the entertainment dollars from Hearne, Caldwell, etc?
australopithecus robustus
If I owned Top Golf I wouldn't build one in College Station when I already have one in The Woodlands/Spring...just saying.

I'd be pretty damn confident that people would drive from BCS to play at closest Houston locations.
techno-ag
AG
PS3D said:

The Original AG 76 said:

monkeyaround said:

My point is that I've never heard a story on this board that goes into any specifics. It's believable that the city would reject plans for some petty reason, but all of this should be public domain somewhere on the city servers.
Being told one thing by one department and another thing by someone else will not leave a paper trail.
cslifer
Of course it will. When I have dealt with the city everything has been written, and their permitting system is online. I could see the comments/changes that each department put in. All of the permit stuff as well as email communication is available by open records request. You are correct in that sometimes departments may say conflicting things, but it is documented.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Any news on what else may be headed to Jones Crossing? I heard there would be an announcement in mid-January, but haven't seen anything.
Aggiewife64
Angel nails
Captn_Ag05
AG
How exciting.
Oogway
Saw the new stoplight on Wellborn today. Little ol FM 2154 is getting all lit up. Hard to believe there were calves running around that pasture not that long ago.

The taco truck had a line.
DontBeTriggered
It's looking amazing!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.