What is your go to Chinese takeout in BCS...

4,783 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by patrick.redmill
texasaggie18
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What is your favorite? What is the best? Have you tried others or are you faithful to one restaurant.
91_Aggie
AG
C&C (used to be J&J) Asian Bistro
Jinx
Wokamole for ever and ever (pronounced like Guacamole). Significant other has a big affinity for Chinese Food and I do not. Wokamole is the only place I really enjoy and I've tried a lot of places in town (even the smaller, not as well known places).

Nice folks, large portions, good prices, and the delivery has always been prompt. The restaurant itself is small and doesn't stand out much but there are always international students of the Asian persuasion coming in and out of there which is a good sign, imo.
theycallmemrtibbs
Imperial, hands down

Really wanted to like Wokamole, but it is the blandest chinese food I've ever had the displeasure of eating. There's not enough soy sauce in the world to salvage it.
halibut sinclair
Imperial
Jinx
Haha, to each their own I suppose!
isitjustme
AG
Another for Wokamole for take out. They have plenty of non-bland items - try the Singapore Chowfun or Hibachi Fried Rice. They also have a lot of traditional Chinese dishes a lot of other places don't and those are generally not a spicy but always tasty.

I do like Imperial, T-Jins on Boonville, and Chef Cao's, and their take out is fine as well. Same thing as when you eat inside at any of the places named.
nthomas99
AG
When I'm already in town / near campus and not driving from home in south CS, 555 grill is my goto takeout place. It's about as legit as Chinese gets in this down (backed up by the fact Chinese people actually eat there).
AggieBarstool
My kitchen. The options in town leave something to be desired.

If I have to eat take out, I'm probably picking T. Jin's.

And I'll be honest -- the recs for Wokamole have me surprised. Their Mexican fare leaves a LOT to be desired.
Jinx
AggieBarstool said:

And I'll be honest -- the recs for Wokamole have me surprised. Their Mexican fare leaves a LOT to be desired.

They haven't served Mexican food in quite some time, couple years maybe? Probably for that reason.
bobinator
AG
For takeout, Shun De Mom in the BCS Asian Market, but I live close to there.
rc_cat
Haven't found one yet
Jetty
AG
Anyone try He's? The one in the Specs center.
Drewmeister
AG
Jetty said:

It's the same food as the since-closed Jin's on Northgate. Love their Pad Thai and the Singapore Chow Fun; most of the rest of the menu is decent, but nothing special.

My go-to is Imperial, which seems a step above the rest. I like their Ma La chicken (Sichuan pepper chicken).

I do hit up Wokamole from time to time, but only because it's convenient. Not bad, but not my favorite. It is kinda weird how they never changed the name after dropping Mexican food from the menu. (They started when a Chinese family bought the El Gallito de Jalisco Mexican restaurant (which had been decent) and added Chinese food to the menu and reopened it as Wokamole. The quality of the Mexican fare dropped off and they went Chinese food-only a few months later, but the Mexican/Chinese pun of a name remains, three years later.)
FlyRod
Panda Express.
JP76
Drewmeister said:

Jetty said:

It's the same food as the since-closed Jin's on Northgate. Love their Pad Thai and the Singapore Chow Fun; most of the rest of the menu is decent, but nothing special.

My go-to is Imperial, which seems a step above the rest. I like their Ma La chicken (Sichuan pepper chicken).

I do hit up Wokamole from time to time, but only because it's convenient. Not bad, but not my favorite. It is kinda weird how they never changed the name after dropping Mexican food from the menu. (They started when a Chinese family bought the El Gallito de Jalisco Mexican restaurant (which had been decent) and added Chinese food to the menu and reopened it as Wokamole. The quality of the Mexican fare dropped off and they went Chinese food-only a few months later, but the Mexican/Chinese pun of a name remains, three years later.)

Did gallito de jalisco buy out Mocajetes?
FlyRod
EL Sol de Mexico opened a second place there.
KidDoc
AG
I like chef choa at tower point. Consistently good and large portions so it is usually two meals.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
labmansid
KidDoc said:

I like chef cao's at tower point. Consistently good and large portions so it is usually two meals.
Same for us. My go to is the orange beef, the wife usually gets the pineapple fried rice.
birdman
Chef Cao and T-Jins are both consistent and good.
AggieBarstool
Jinx said:

AggieBarstool said:

They haven't served Mexican food in quite some time, couple years maybe? Probably for that reason.
Good to know! I never went back because the Mexican food was terrible. I may give them a shot again soon!
Kitten With A Whip
Imperial, hands down!

The owner and his family started Joy Luck and it was fabulous... until they sold it! It was downhill after that for quite some time. It's better now, but still not as good as Imperial. And despite Imperial being in Bryan, they do deliver to College Station, no charge. There may be limits, however. I'm not sure, but they deliver to the WPC area.
Tailgate88
AG
birdman said:

+1
aggiepaintrain
AG
Had C&C's last night.
I'll stick with Cao or TJin's going forward.

Kitten With A Whip
Jetty said:

The first time we tried it we loved it, but after that, not so much. Not sure if it was a change in ownership, employees or what, but it was so bad it isn't worth it to us to try again.
Kitten With A Whip
aggiepaintrain said:

Had C&C's last night.
I'll stick with Cao or TJin's going forward.

Give Imperial a try. I think you will be pleased.
FlyRod
All kidding aside, best Chinese food I've had here hands down is Shun de Mom Express (the original, NOT the one in The Rise), and 555 Grill.
Post removed:
by user
AgsWin2011
AG
91_Aggie said:

C&C (used to be J&J) Asian Bistro

EOT. By far the best and there is no comparison. Plus they deliver and I live a few miles south of Tower Point.
tgivaughn
AG
AJI SUSHI can't be beat but there's more takeout business going on at Jin's (new Kroger center)
IMHO and am sticking to it
Rex Racer
AG
Imperial is delicious. My wife and I love it.
techno-ag
AG
Tailgate88 said:

birdman said:

+1
halibut sinclair
one MEEN Ag
AG
Back in undergrad there were these Chinese grad students selling 5 dollar to-go boxes of homemade Chinese food outside of Zachry. Line was always 30 people long and it came with this awesome soup.
Definitely not allowed or regulated by any means. That was an awesome semester.

So yeah, go track those guys down.
patrick.redmill
As a couple of others have suggested, it's Shun De Mom, then 555 Grill, then everyone else.

I will say, if American-Chinese is what you are after, Chef Cao's in Tower Point is hard to beat. Fresh and very cheap. A guilty pleasure for me. I don't bother with anything else in town.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.